Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Urination and defication!  (Read 3356 times)

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urination and defication!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 05:57:49 pm »

I think poo and pee could be a lot of fun. You could use crap for fertilizer,and making dwarven bathrooms would be kinda cool. Using crap as a building material would be cool too.

The problem comes when you have to do something with it and some players (such as myself and others) don't want to.

You don't really have to do anything with it if you don't want to. Just make bathrooms and sewers and forget about it. Another use for poo could be vermin bait. I'm sure some nasty creatures would be attracted to it. I can't think of anything to do with pee,though...all it would do is make a mess everywhere. Is there any use for pee?

Ankheg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chasing the Sunset
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 06:05:38 pm »

Emergency drinking water.

Yeah, ew.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 06:07:10 pm »

Urine is a tanning agent, still widely in use the present day. It has a very high nutrient content and is prime fertilizer.
Historically it has been used as a mordant for fixing dye on cloth. On occasion it has been used to make gunpowder and it was a common element in alchemical experiments, leading to the discovery of phosphorus. Medicinal use of urine has been done too, though that is controversial given our current views on hygiene.

Being a liquid, I imagine you can set the vaporizing point at 0° for those who don't want it.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

stuntedkind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 06:18:19 pm »

Extra Fun should never be avoided ;D Really it's one of the pros of this idea- an extra gameplay/engineering challenge when your fort gets large.

The urine moat and faecal fortress stuff* wouldn't really be in keeping with the humour of the game so far, which is a good reason to not go down that road. Rather I'm in favour of waste being handled as some sort of 'glob' type item that rots, and that can be refined for use in workshop tasks.

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 08:03:30 pm »

I think a better way to get the undwarvely "moat of disease" would to have superstagent sludge water obtainable by dumping chunks, corpses, meat and other rottable items into an unflowing moat or pool.

The junk poisons the water and perhaps generates unhappy thoughts for swimming in or just being near. (generates miasma if under water)

having other grimy leftovers from meals and other jobs seems OK.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 10:05:30 pm »

I definitely read "Urination and deification" when I saw this the first time.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 11:40:31 pm »

I say this every time but:
As a make-believe civil engineer, functional sewer systems are cool to have.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 11:50:00 pm »

While it might have some fun uses, I don't think I need something else to distract my dwarves from their work...

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 06:32:01 am »

Admittedly we won't see this in future due to Toady's improvements to dwarven work effort in the next version but:

Urist cancels job: Gone to the bathroom

Really this stuff may mess around with the rating (honestly no clue how, but then violence potential probably outranks it already)

If it is put in the frequency with which nature calls should be something similar to once a season or something. Though interestingly I'd say that your sewage system should actually fill with anything upon use by a dwarf instead, your population should determine how much volume there is too handle (probably refilled at the start of every season, or constantly depending how you handle it), naturally you should find use for it somehow, fertilising fields via clever plumbing (try not to open the wrong floodgate), dumping it on your enemies for defense puproses (do dwarves outlaw biological warfare?), drowning nobles/elves, creating sewers would be cool though.

Only matter is that plumbing technology is a very debatable matter for dwarves if you ask me, the romans had a sort of plumbing system (even aztecs or mayans had running water plumbing) so I'm not disputing sewers, but these are only effective if you don't let them stagnate (such liquids stagnating ought to be devestating if you approach one of its entry points), so dumping it into rivers, bottomless pits, magma pipes (yellow obsidian anyone?) each with their own consequences given the upcoming versions potentially aggressive nature. Though if we say their plumbing would be more medieval... thoughts of miasma pits, filthy streets and such come to mind which don't seem so fun, but is the age and technology with which the dwarves are supposed to embody more. Then again they get to use magma furnaces.

Also a thought on the dumping matter to me would be, water flow throughout the system from a source to the final destination where the waste just falls in and may be detoured once or twice before being dumped (say over a fallow field or goblin siege) then reaches its final destination of doom, a property given to it though, no fortifications allowed, it'd prevent stuff from leaving and cause it to stagnate (though adding a potential filter property to fortifications of varying kinds is also interesting, maybe even methods of purification)

I'd say this abstracts from the issue no need to mention the matter and just denotes fluids and such involved to 'sewage water', 'stagnated sewage water' and 'festering sewage water', possibly adding a race tag to it, possibly meaning festering dwarven sewage water can potentially make humans drunk. You could turn the system off like you would turn economy off, its an interesting challenge, could even be good fun. I'm sort of in favour though I can understand it not being in sort of

Buddybud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 07:22:16 am »

As an off note :P This could also give another use for both lye and ash. Both of which can be used to dump in an "outhouse" to kill miasma. When i grew up in canada mostly every farm house or cottage had no plumbing so i kind of laugh at the squeemish here. Heck, when i visited nepal not so long ago there was open sewage everywhere, kinda gross but ya get used to it rather quickly since you cannot avoid it.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 02:35:07 am »

The problem comes when you have to do something with it and some players (such as myself and others) don't want to.

You don't really have to do anything with it if you don't want to. Just make bathrooms and sewers and forget about it.
[/quote]

Or just have it as an option to turn on and off depending on what the player wants; a simple fix that satisfies everyone... 

And for the record I advocate the inclusion of poo and pee in DF.  heh heh... poo and pee...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 02:41:20 am by Andeerz »

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 02:55:47 am »

I realise that this doesnt contribute to the conversation at all, but
Ever played an RTS where you had to move dung around?
Yes, Stronghold 2. I couldnt bare to leave this unsaid. That game had you building a cess pit, and having a peasant go and become a poo-handler. Poo made clouds of... pretty much miasma. If you didnt clean it up, your popularity fell.

No, I have nothing else to contribute. Cheerio!

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 03:16:34 am »

Yes, this does contribute.  Your post provides some excellent food for thought about how it would be like to implement poop/pee.  Too bad Stronghold 2 was not a well designed game, but I think you could hardly fault the poo for that.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 04:40:29 am »

Yes, this does contribute.  Your post provides some excellent food for thought about how it would be like to implement poop/pee.  Too bad Stronghold 2 was not a well designed game, but I think you could hardly fault the poo for that.

While there were other flaws, the cess pit didn't help.  Because inevitably the guys doing the job wouldn't do it well enough and you didn't have any spare population to get another guy doing it.

Benamas

• Bay Watcher
  • cod.mudmagic.com
    • View Profile
    • The Cleft of Dimensions
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 05:35:03 pm »

After spending eight hours shoveling manure at a horse farm today, I can also add that animals produce (sometimes enormous volumes of) waste which needs to be relocated in a reasonable timeframe to avoid, well, miasma.

Which could get really exciting with dwarf animals being stabled far underground or wandering through hallways.

SHORT VERSION:
Pages: 1 [2] 3