Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Urination and defication!  (Read 3355 times)

Raneman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urination and defication!
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:55:03 pm »

I want to make a moat out of piss, or take a dump an Elven Caravan or something.
You could also have boring uses like sewage and stuff.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urination and defication!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 11:40:13 pm »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:28:08 am »

Toady's said a few times, and it's been mentioned in all the previous threads, that he doesn't really want to deal with shit and piss in a game context and I don't blame him.

stuntedkind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:16:16 am »

Although waste products are pretty vital in rl for tanning (to cure the hide) and formerly for dying cloth (to fix the dye), there's no real reason to add it in. Seen as you can guarantee that it'll be available while your dwarfs are alive, the only thing you'd be adding would be an extra (rather unpleasant) job for some unfortunate dwarf and extra stuff to have to store somewhere. The general 'cleaning' job probably covers this anyway.

Manure from animals might be worthwhile implementing for fertilizer.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 09:50:55 am »

This isn't the first and it won't be the last, personally rather than have animal dung moved to fertilise a field, I'd say that you designate the field to be fallow for a season, allowing animals to be penned into the field and generally keep themselves amused and depending how many are there the fields fertility improves (guess why) then when the season ends they are moved off somewhere, naturally this strategy requires some wall be put around the farm to keep animals in, such as fortifications, walls or a fence, naturally a pet blocking gate also is needed to keep them from leaving once designated to field duty.

Such a thing would require animal dung to be rated in richness for fertilisation or just how much they do it, more creature tags as a result.

In future fluids are supposed to be moddable if I recall correctly, so properties of just smelling bad or being toxic/source of illness would go with that making it possible. Sort of voiding the need for this stuff to be put in specifically admittedly you just need to work out how to make it.

From an economy challenge it'd be interesting to have to clean up an accumulation of filth as its not like caves always stay clean with a couple hundred dwarves running about in them creating a need to make garbage dumps away from the population (bottomless pits anybody?) something turned on and off from the init obviously and only starts once you hit a certain population. Though in general with the DF concept of time it just doesn't fit, dwarves cleaning themselves is about as far as it can go. Though scrubbing floors, smoothing walls all so your dwarf gets a happy thought and no filth lies around would be satisying possibly.

stuntedkind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:14:41 am »

[As an aside, I don't really see why people find the issue of dwarf waste such a big 'no go' area. Surely the guts/gore/dismemberment/vomit already in the game is far worse, especially seen as most of the suggestions about waste in earlier threads have been more abstract than scatalogical? Is this a rl cultural difference between players thing?]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 02:01:35 pm »

[As an aside, I don't really see why people find the issue of dwarf waste such a big 'no go' area. Surely the guts/gore/dismemberment/vomit already in the game is far worse, especially seen as most of the suggestions about waste in earlier threads have been more abstract than scatalogical? Is this a rl cultural difference between players thing?]

It has to do with Fun.  Ever played an RTS where you had to move dung around?

If you don't do it people start dying and emigrating real fast, making it really frakking difficult to have a bloody army manning the walls as the AI (who doesn't have these issues) is bearing down on your meager outpost.

SSBR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 02:23:42 pm »

Ever played an RTS where you had to move dung around?
Does Black & White count?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 02:49:02 pm »

Ever played an RTS where you had to move dung around?
Does Black & White count?

No.  Because dung from your creature didn't really do anything.

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 02:55:43 pm »

I think poo and pee could be a lot of fun. You could use crap for fertilizer,and making dwarven bathrooms would be kinda cool. Using crap as a building material would be cool too.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 03:03:08 pm »

I don't Toady should ever add excrement to DF -- however, I think it would mark something of a milestone in DF's flexibility if there comes such a time that they can be modded in in a realistic way through the raws, along with chamberpots, garderobes, etc.  Doubtful that'd be possible in the next version, but someday...  I'd probably never use such a mod, but it'd sure be a capability to brag about.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 03:31:43 pm »

I think poo and pee could be a lot of fun. You could use crap for fertilizer,and making dwarven bathrooms would be kinda cool. Using crap as a building material would be cool too.

The problem comes when you have to do something with it and some players (such as myself and others) don't want to.

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 03:36:52 pm »

Even if there wasn't urinating or defecating, I'd still like the ability to have a viable sewage system (even if it isn't used), perhaps evicted dwarves could hide there, or goblins would try to sneak in through there. It'd also open up opportunities for more types of punishments, such as "Community Service".

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 04:39:08 pm »

It seems to be a difference between idealized, iconic, canonized fiction on one hand and gritty, tragic and just-as-experienced fiction on the other. Superhero movies and comics can be an example of the former, while the dogma film philosophy can be an example of the latter.

That being said, eggs and custom fluids seem to be on the inoffensive list, and that would, together with customizable fertilizer, give some room to mod in a very basic nutrient cycle.

The problem comes when you have to do something with it and some players (such as myself and others) don't want to.
One might as well take offense of the need to eat, which after all necessitates dwarves to open bodily orifices, put dead organic matter in them, and visibly and audibly preprocess that matter for digestion. Gross!
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 05:01:00 pm »

I could say the exact same thing about food production. Considering the nature of the game, there really isn't a single real reason to justify not adding a major bodily function, especially seeing it would have a myriad of uses and would pose gameplay challenges

But ma-ah, I don't want my dwarves to drink! It forces me to like, play the game and do things!
Pages: [1] 2 3