Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothing Rant  (Read 848 times)

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
Clothing Rant
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:52:39 pm »

I need to rant about clothing.

When somebody dies, all their clothes instantly fall off.  How does that work?  Are they life-force magnetic?

A character can wear like 30 items of clothing, but apparently can only carry one at a time.  So to clean up one guy's death, it takes a whole little army of guys to carry his clothes away, one sock at a time.  What are they, holding the clothing item at arm's length between thumb and forefinger while holding their noses closed with the other hand?

Apparently, people (especially military) are free to toss clothes they don't want anymore on the ground just anywhere.  But you can't tell someone to pick them up.  Oh no, they're still owned.  Just not wanted.  Putting chests/cabinets in the barracks should help with this, but it doesn't.

Clothing is overpriced.  Hell, cloth is overpriced.  Are we to believe that the tiny spool of cloth needed to produce a single glove (44*) is worth over 14 times the wood from an entire tree (3*)?  And once that cloth has been fashioned into clothing, it's worth over twice that again (100* or more).

There don't seem to be any negative effects from going for a casual stroll around the glacier while not wearing a single stitch.  Nor are there negative effects from wearing two layers of dyed clothing plus metal armor under the scorching desert sun.  You'd figure if clothing for your population is going to be worth five times your GDP in gemstones, it would at least DO something.

And people are willing to pay out the wazoo for clothing that doesn't even fit them.  Kill a goblin wearing a narrow giant cave spider silk loincloth, and the humans will pay enough for it to feed your whole town nothing but exotic meats for a season!  Why do they want it so badly?  What do they plan to do with it?  Nothing I can think of that doesn't give me the jibblies.

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some DF.  But I'd love to see the clothing system get a complete overhaul.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

JoystickHero

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:tileset]
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing Rant
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:56:49 pm »

Pretty sure it's on the devlist.
JoystickHero's Capital Tileset (Simple. Clean. 16x16)
Quote from: Moosey
Really?  You passed up an opportunity to say "Urist McNugget"?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:00:17 pm »

I need to rant about clothing.

When somebody dies, all their clothes instantly fall off.  How does that work?  Are they life-force magnetic?

A character can wear like 30 items of clothing, but apparently can only carry one at a time.  So to clean up one guy's death, it takes a whole little army of guys to carry his clothes away, one sock at a time.  What are they, holding the clothing item at arm's length between thumb and forefinger while holding their noses closed with the other hand?

Apparently, people (especially military) are free to toss clothes they don't want anymore on the ground just anywhere.  But you can't tell someone to pick them up.  Oh no, they're still owned.  Just not wanted.  Putting chests/cabinets in the barracks should help with this, but it doesn't.

Clothing is overpriced.  Hell, cloth is overpriced.  Are we to believe that the tiny spool of cloth needed to produce a single glove (44*) is worth over 14 times the wood from an entire tree (3*)?  And once that cloth has been fashioned into clothing, it's worth over twice that again (100* or more).

There don't seem to be any negative effects from going for a casual stroll around the glacier while not wearing a single stitch.  Nor are there negative effects from wearing two layers of dyed clothing plus metal armor under the scorching desert sun.  You'd figure if clothing for your population is going to be worth five times your GDP in gemstones, it would at least DO something.

And people are willing to pay out the wazoo for clothing that doesn't even fit them.  Kill a goblin wearing a narrow giant cave spider silk loincloth, and the humans will pay enough for it to feed your whole town nothing but exotic meats for a season!  Why do they want it so badly?  What do they plan to do with it?  Nothing I can think of that doesn't give me the jibblies.

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some DF.  But I'd love to see the clothing system get a complete overhaul.

1. dwarven physics.

2. Yes, yes they do.

3. They only do that when wrestling, if you assign them their own room with cabinets and stuff they put their clothes away.

4. well the effort to produce the cloth vs the effort of waiting and cutting one down. (this is time long long ago)

5.after a while die of exposure. or thirst

6. they use them as trophys, also its too narrow for DWARVES.
And they love the odd clothing.

7. LIES
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:03:21 pm by silhouette »
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:01:11 pm »

It is on the devlist, yes.  I'm not certain how it'll work out, but I think it was something like clothes being defined along the same lines that body parts are now (ie. each character has a set of clothes with individual articles, but the overall set of clothes can be transferred/modified en masse).  I know for sure you can set uniforms for the military soon (so you could have a squad that distinguishes itself by all wearing red cloaks).

As for the pricing issues, well...  Back in Medieval times, wood really wasn't that highly valued, while the process of making clothes really was so complex that articles of clothing were considered very valuable.  Though what really made the prices soar was the dying process, since many dyes required very rare components.  Purple, blood-red, and deep blue in particular were so hard to come by and expensive that they became associated with royalty and wealth.
Sanity is for the weak.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 08:04:15 pm »

Don't ask about what the humans do with the narrow goblin loincloths or we might find out about the human mating system Toady forgot to put in the dev log.  :P

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 08:13:24 pm »

It is on the devlist, yes.  I'm not certain how it'll work out, but I think it was something like clothes being defined along the same lines that body parts are now (ie. each character has a set of clothes with individual articles, but the overall set of clothes can be transferred/modified en masse).  I know for sure you can set uniforms for the military soon (so you could have a squad that distinguishes itself by all wearing red cloaks).

That does sound like a better way of doing things...

As for the pricing issues, well...  Back in Medieval times, wood really wasn't that highly valued, while the process of making clothes really was so complex that articles of clothing were considered very valuable.  Though what really made the prices soar was the dying process, since many dyes required very rare components.  Purple, blood-red, and deep blue in particular were so hard to come by and expensive that they became associated with royalty and wealth.

The wood was just picked at random.  Compare the price of cloth to any other middle-ages luxury like unspoiled meat, it's way overpriced... or, it could be argued that meat is underpriced.  And while what you say about those particular shades of dye is true, DF dyed cloth doesn't have that huge difference in value (yes, there is some difference, but it's not huge) as your example.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 08:19:13 pm »

I think the reason why meat and wood are so cheap in DF is because they're pretty essential to the gameplay.  If pricing were scaled up to purely realistic levels, then an awful lot of forts would die within 2 years unless they relied on booze-cooking or brought far too many animals along for slaughtering.  This might also explain why many unrefined stones and ores are somehow far less valuable than they should be, particularly to Dwarven traders (who, being Dwarves, should be able to get them refined very quickly and easily).
Sanity is for the weak.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 07:00:41 am »

(yes, there is some difference, but it's not huge).
It is huge, dye it and then sew an image on it with dyed cloth and its triple the value already.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 08:30:53 am »

If pricing were scaled up to purely realistic levels,
then an awful lot of forts would die within 2 years

Why is that a bad thing?