Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wood farming improvements  (Read 4197 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wood farming improvements
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 06:45:10 pm »

Ofcourse, that means we'd end up with a bunch of novice varnishers spear catchers every migration, but such is life.

Fixed.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 09:38:02 pm »

Ofcourse, that means we'd end up with a bunch of novice varnishers fire hardened spear catchers every migration, but such is life.

Fixed.

ReFixored.
For they would be your masters.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 01:41:24 am »

Trees need to reguire a 3x3 space each and must be grown OUTSIDE. Not inside with light, OUTSIDE. Because tower-caps can be grown inside, they should take longer to grow. You know, just 4 balancing purposes. A game has to have balance. No seeds required, but trees should be normally take 1 1/4 years to completely grow. This'll make it a time-consumer, a long-term investment. Then your trees die by termites when you neglect chopping them down for 2 years.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 02:08:15 am »

The 3x3 model is a good one, but I think there should be some benefit to careful selection when harvesting your trees. They should be able to grow on a single space, but only achieve full height/width when they have enough room to grow.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 03:19:54 pm »

Then your trees die by termites when you neglect chopping them down for 2 years.

What?  Trees don't just suddenly die if you don't harvest them.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 02:03:58 am »

Then your trees die by termites when you neglect chopping them down for 2 years.

What?  Trees don't just suddenly die if you don't harvest them.
My great Uncle runs a tree nursery in Georgia. Termites from neglection is one of the problems that he gets sometimes. It doesn't just happen to old trees either.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 02:05:33 am »

Termites do not automatically infest every tree.

Trees have evolved resistance to termites, and a tree can fend for itself quite well for several hundred or even thousand years.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 02:15:47 am »

It would be more common for termites to infest wooden objects, like logs etc. than healthy living trees.

I'm also guessing that before serious industrialization of the lumber industry, that termites were nearly as common. A good woodcutter should know enough not to choose an infested tree, in the first place. Termite infestations are pretty easy to spot, afterall.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 06:33:33 am »

The issue of tree farming should be muted, or at least partially with the new release since dwarven subterranean wood would be more likely then in previous versions.

EDIT:

Also I believe this is on the eternal voting thread. Really low on votes, like less then 40.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 02:13:17 pm »

Termites do not automatically infest every tree.

Trees have evolved resistance to termites, and a tree can fend for itself quite well for several hundred or even thousand years.

Srsly.

And if I recall correctly, the olive tree doesn't even produce fruit until its something like 7 years old.  So this whole notion of "trees die after 2 years" is silly to the point of absurdity.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 04:29:03 pm »

The track. We get back on it now.

I was just thinking about the seed problem. Regular plants growing in the biome don't use seeds, they simply propagate by generating new shrubs. Trees propagate by generating new saplings. Have any of you suggested simply collecting saplings from the map to transplant elsewhere?

Also, I rather wood (pun intended) like to see orchards added to the game as well as farm plots. Fruit-bearing trees would produce fruit, which after consumption leave seeds, which can be planted. The trees themselves would last some forty years or so, or effectively forever. One could still transplant saplings to the orchard grounds.

I disagree with the 3x3 spacing for tree farms. I've seen a lot of pine and cedar groves grow thick. Players would likely grow their trees with gaps regardless of the rules simply to allow woodcutters to pass through the forest, since using the forest as a sort of living wooden wall is incredibly elfy and not at all respectable dwarven behavior.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 04:32:27 pm »

Maybe trees of a certain size could grow to become impassable? And/or perhaps thickets of saplings could be impassable, or just slow movement, until you assign someone to clear them out.

Large, strong critters should be able to smash and topple trees, just by moving through a forest.

Gathering saplings for replanting is a good idea.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 07:26:12 pm »

During the Roman-Time and the middleages there was a interresting problem in Europe. The Prices for wood shot up like hell. Why was that so? First almost any Metalprocessing was done with charcoal and later you got the massive fleets which needed wood too. Some economys even grumbled to dust like bronce production in Grece because there wasnt a tree for Miles.

As long as the Roman Empire existed half Europe was almost deforestated except the parts behind Donau and Rhine so German and Keltic traders got good prices for their wood. After the Fall of the Empire and the Christianisation the Forrest-border begann quickly to retreat eastward. So I guess our dwarfes are rather similiar to us and our history.

Planting trees etc is a rather new idea but from my POV should be in Df thanks to the elves. Anyway there is only so much demand you can satisfy sufficiently with the supply of newgrown trees.

I think it should be possible to trade for seeds of trees if you dont have some left on your map. Fast growing trees like firs would be recommended thought a monoculture is nether healthy so bark beetles and alike should exist too to plague your treefarm.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 02:58:42 pm »

Planting trees etc is a rather new idea but from my POV should be in Df thanks to the elves.

The Han Chinese supposidly planted "1 million trees" to reclaim forrestland that was cleared by the mongols (Yuan) for grazing land.

I realize that German may be your first language, but it would be benificial to your understanding of English and for our comprehension of what you mean to say for you to use an internet browser that included a spell-checking program, such as Firefox firefox.com.  I am sure there are my own gramatical errors in this very post, and I can only speak rudimental German, so please take no offense.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 04:54:40 pm »

^^ well actually i use the newest FF. I just didnt find the time to install my normal Spellchecker-collection on my laptop which i am usig currently.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3