Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wood farming improvements  (Read 4196 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wood farming improvements
« on: December 29, 2009, 05:47:00 pm »

One thing I would like to see would be a more automated method of farming lumber. This would be very useful for large, mature fortresses and would also reduce the micromanagement required, thus always keeping your woodcutters busy without having to continually redesignate large areas to be clearcut. And it would mean a steady supply for your wood crafters and carpenters.

Here are two ways this could work, and they should be relatively easy to do:

A)
Tree farms are created much like regular farms. There are no tree seeds, but you can only grow trees that naturally grow in that biome and you can select these trees from a list. Tower caps can only be grown underground if you have discovered a river or lake, and surface trees can only be grown on the surface if that tree is already growing on your map. No growing oak trees in the middle of a glacier. A dwarf will go to each tile of the farm and work for a few moments to plant the sapling. This uses the grower skill.

After several years (or however long the tree takes to mature) a harvest job will be generated. This can only be done by woodcutters and does require an axe. Harvesting the tree produces a stack of logs, just like cutting down a tree normally.

When there is empty space on the farm more planting jobs will be generated. This can be abstracted that the dwarves are clearing away other brush to allow saplings to grow, or transplanting saplings from elsewhere on the map to the tree farm. There is currently no good way to produce tree seeds, but trees are not grown from seeds on tree farms anyways. They are usually grown from saplings that are moved when still tiny and then planted in orderly rows.

B)
Allow an activity zone to have an automatic gather plants and/or cut down trees option.

Each time a mature tree appears it will then be automatically designated to be cut down. A woodcutter with an axe will then head over there and start chopping.

Shrubs could also be designated to be gathered in much the same way. Each time a shrub appears it is designated to be gathered, and a herbalist will head over there to gather up the plants.

Thoughts?

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Wood farming improvements
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 06:26:21 pm »

Well, i woulnd`t mind such stuff.

While were at it i`d like to be able to order my dwarves to gather driftwood in ocean forts. Granted, it woulnd`t be of high quality but even dwarves should be bright enough to understand that such lower quality wood would be suited to make practice bolts and such things instead of waisting the good quality stuff.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 08:26:54 am »

A tree farm (more or less already possible) is a great idea.

However I think it'd need to be refined. I remember seeing that it's been setup so two trees won't grow next to each other. Whether or not this is true, determines some of how a farm would work.

I think a more or less "tree farm" designation would be nice, where it means 'low/restricted traffic' and 'remove all non-tree stuff'. Just so you don't have to worry about say pesky underground shrubs in your tower-cap farm.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:16:06 am »

I like the tree farm idea, this problem is what turns me off about wood collection in general. I'd suggest one or two additions.

Simply make the woodcutters resonpisible wardens of these tree farms seeing that they are matured, creating space for trees to grow (maybe a 3x3 block where the tree is in the middle) once a tree matures its chopped down.

Though I'd say that they should gradually gain planting and herbalist experience, clearing plants away for trees, plant tree saplings. After a while they should even be able to cut a little branch of a tree and use that as a cutting to plant a completely new sapling.

Though also different styles could be used, such as sectioning off woodland and then cutting down any mature trees present one year before moving onto another. Cutting them down the moment they mature. Or waiting till the tree farm is completely full of mature trees before cutting them down in one of the previous manners.

Naturally the elves ought to reccomend a way of doing it to you so you can be politically correct by observing the style the elves like. Or even having a special 'Elf style' where a band of elves stay in your fort as nobles (or prisoners/workers) looking after the tree farm and 'extracting' wood from the trees without having chopped them down and giving it their elven seal of approval.

Also bands of people from other races staying in your fort for various reasons possessing various functions seems a cool idea on that note. (Human mercenaries and goblin prisoner of war camp anyone?)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 01:58:33 pm »

After a while they should even be able to cut a little branch of a tree and use that as a cutting to plant a completely new sapling.

I think cuttings only work for some kinds of trees.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 02:24:45 pm »

After a while they should even be able to cut a little branch of a tree and use that as a cutting to plant a completely new sapling.

They do.

But a lot of it can be abstracted away since I don't really think there's any good way to handle tree seeds in the game currently.

It could be abstracted away much like how dorfs needing to pee is abstracted away. Or using plates and utensils for eating food. Its just needless complexity without adding anything to the gameplay experience.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 02:48:07 pm »

They do.

But a lot of it can be abstracted away since I don't really think there's any good way to handle tree seeds in the game currently.

It could be abstracted away much like how dorfs needing to pee is abstracted away. Or using plates and utensils for eating food. Its just needless complexity without adding anything to the gameplay experience.

Agreed.  Just didn't figure out how to complete the thought.

TSB

• Bay Watcher
  • It's the TSB experience.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 01:17:13 am »

Or using plates and utensils for eating food. Its just needless complexity without adding anything to the gameplay experience.

Urist McDishwasher cancels clean stoneware: Smoking blunt behind workshop

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 07:42:43 am »

While you're at it, change how trees are harvested.  Trees should yield more than one unit of wood - and the wood cost of things should be updated.  As it stands now, an entire square of wall uses the same amount of wood as does a bed, as does a table... as does a crossbow or crown.

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 09:07:46 am »

While you're at it, change how trees are harvested.  Trees should yield more than one unit of wood - and the wood cost of things should be updated.  As it stands now, an entire square of wall uses the same amount of wood as does a bed, as does a table... as does a crossbow or crown.
Ah, but you see, dwarfs are not in the least bit concerned with frugality when it comes to wood. Hacking away at an entire tree trunk to make a small wood ring is of no consequence. Why be careful to not waste huge portions of tree flesh when making something out of wood?

Seriously though, there is an issue here - a single tree should yield a few pieces of wood. Perhaps it could use something akin to partial bars of melted down metals? A craft workshop could use a fraction of a log, the remainder stays in the workshop, out of which future things can be made.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 09:16:59 am »

It really depends on what you need the wood for.

One reason why Ship building was so expencive is that you couldn't just get any wood, you needed long peices of wood (You couldn't for example build a first rate with a TON of Apple trees, no matter how many you had)

I wouldn't think tree farming for a substantial amount of wood is/should be very efficiant (fruit on the other hand)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 09:23:10 am »

The idea of a tree farm is interesting, and it seems like it would be a useful addition to the game. If it is implemented it will no doubt be in the far future. Most people seem to assume that we will see a massive overhaul of trees, and Toady has mentioned modifying the elves' environment in a way that seems to confirm it.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 11:20:03 am »

It really depends on what you need the wood for.

One reason why Ship building was so expencive is that you couldn't just get any wood, you needed long peices of wood (You couldn't for example build a first rate with a TON of Apple trees, no matter how many you had)

I wouldn't think tree farming for a substantial amount of wood is/should be very efficiant (fruit on the other hand)

Speaking of which, are there any plans for trees that would grow fuits seasonally?

Apple trees, banana trees, mango trees, palms with coconuts etc.

This would be a nice addition, though not necessary.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 06:38:33 pm »

With the next release you can make custom workshops and you could make a tree farm.

Make a very large workshop, maximum size so it takes up a ton of ground. Then have it use the woodcutting labor to work in the workshop.

Allow a selection of jobs for several types of tree. So if you select "farm oak" a woodcutter will then booze up and head to the workshop, work for a little while, and then produce 1 oak log and gain skill from performing 1 woodcutting task.

Voila! Tree farming.

You could add in other types of trees as well.

Some player restraint would be required though. You can only grow surface trees on the surface in the biome that supports them, and tower caps only underground, but it would automate a lot of things. There is no mechanism to enforce limiting yourself, but growing oak trees on the surface of  a glacier is just dumb.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 06:15:08 pm »

I'd like to be able to make wooden planks, as well as wooden blocks. I'd also love if they were called "beams" instead of blocks.

Varnish, functioning like dye, would also be sweet to have.

Ofcourse, that means we'd end up with a bunch of novice varnishers every migration, but such is life.

Improving wood value by drying it out in some kind of kiln would be nice.

Fire hardening would be nice for wooden spears, and other weapons.

Termites and other critters that ate wood would be interesting.

Wood having different values would also be great to see.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: [1] 2 3