Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Merchantswims: A community game. Dwarven Survivor!  (Read 4749 times)

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Merchantswims: A community game. Dwarven Survivor!
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2010, 02:15:28 pm »

In the vanilla game, 1 iron + 1 pig iron = 2 steel.  You shouldn't need twice as much iron as your desired steel amount, unless you've got some kind of difficulty-enhancing mod.

I did not know that... I always thought it only yielded one steel bar. That makes it easier :D

And I specifically chose a spot with low elevation, flux, and magma. And then moved the embark two tiles west, so it isn't guaranteed to have magma after all. But there is certainly flux somewhere, possibly under the ocean :P

@Elizar: I *could* seal off the fort from the outside once I start getting too many ambushes (or Elizar dies in an ambush). That also solves the problem.

@Arkaine: According to elizar, dwarves with 'brother' and 'sister' as a relationship don't apparently marry:

And with only one breeding pair, there's not going to be any future in the fort. The game has the habit that only those of the same migrant wave or generation may marry each other. So that expedition crew can only marry to expedition crew, not children of others of the expedition crew.

But with that road, I don't think that it will be possible to have a long, winding corridor full of stone-fall traps. Personally, I don't think I can survive these ambushes :P Oh well... better attempt to construct this winding corridor!!

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2010, 02:31:42 pm »

Yeah, siblings do not marry. Ulogeshud has pretty much proven that, but needs another generation to check if they marry cousins.

Ulogeshud had two breeding pairs from the founders, and several of those have married to the other line, As far as I know, none of their children are either of age, or have not yet shown any interest.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2010, 03:01:13 pm »

Yeah, but I only need to survive one generation.

I have thought long and hard about it, and made many ideas. If I can SOMEHOW survive this ambush (if there is an ambush coming) for this season, I should be able to survive. I can seal myself off, or alternatively, I could design an alternate route, which starts from the entrance to the place I will collapse to pierce the aquifier, and travels through a labyrenth of stonefall traps. I will no longer need to disappear outside the safety of our fort, as everything can be made of stone, leather, and metal. All I need to do is find a source of bitumous coal, lignite, or coal (although I have NEVER found a coal deposit before >.>)

*crosses fingers, and hopes that this isn't a double-layered aquifier. Because if it is, I am going to have to construct something with a pump system, with what little mechanisms I can still own (All two of them) And this plan needs infinite stone, as well as an underground fortified region...

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2010, 04:01:11 pm »

I'm not sure if you have to prepare for another ambush. What I know about ambushes is that snatchers are always with them. I know that whenever I catch a snatcher in a cage trap by my entrance, I know I'll also catch ambushers as well. If there is a siege, there are no snatchers.

And goblins do not supposedly start to siege until certain population and fortune is reached.

The latter I know by wiki, the former is an educated guess.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Arkaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2010, 10:26:51 am »

The game has the habit that only those of the same migrant wave or generation may marry each other
Ah, I didn't realize this part.  I had assumed that once a female child came of age one of the other original males could 'woo' her... but I guess not.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2010, 12:19:55 pm »

The game has the habit that only those of the same migrant wave or generation may marry each other
Ah, I didn't realize this part.  I had assumed that once a female child came of age one of the other original males could 'woo' her... but I guess not.

Jamni posted something about an older female 'wooing' a newly adult male. So i was assuming this was possible. I'm not sure how the migrant wave issue comes into play during these lineage games.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2010, 02:43:40 pm »

God save us all, we're not going to have any real breeding coming along for a long while.

It is a good idea to post war dogs to everyone, though.

And the meat industry that is made from all the puppies will be great, too. I think we should focus to a degree on plants that make good booze. We can make all our bags from leather, and still have plenty of backpacks, quivers, etc. too if we need those.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2010, 03:46:18 pm »

Hm. I have to admit that the report is rather sketchy on this, but in the for Ulogeshud there were just two men for five females, and only two breeding pairs came of it among the expedition crew. The other women never wooed older men as far as I remember.

I always pitted this in "have to be only x or less in age apart" kind of code, but that's a guess.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2010, 02:05:20 am »

15th Granite 263
Elves have arrived! After our last meeting, we have decided that we need to be more independant, and with infinite access to stone, we will be able to survive on what little wood we can gather from the elves and the humans.

As such, Digit wants to buy some of every different type of plant. Once we get a massive underground refinary going, we can move all the stuff which is lying around on the sun, underground, and replace all the old space with much more varied farmland!

The only problem is that we are running low on roasts. This is only partially my fault... as there was so much more I needed to do! We have reverted to the old gorilla roasts we were reserving for emergencts now!!

But thankfully we can trade with the humans some REAL gear.

17th Granite 263

Oh crud. This is bad. We have spotted an ambush along our main undefended, un fortified region. Elizar needs to manage to get to her outpost just above the merchants location. But with no less than 3 enemy crossbow-goblins, it doesn't look hopeful...

Hopefully this is the last ambush we will have to take on the nose, however...

19th Granite 263
It is over... oh man...

It was terrible. We never pulled the lever until almost everything had been lost. The elves are probably planning on leaving this fortress, and if not, they are likely to be rather annoyed.

There was a human with them. No doubt stolen ... just like Haika.

And then, just as if that wasn't enough, a SECOND ambush has appeared to the south. The dead and decaying bodies of the FIRST ambush are blocking the floodgates, and allowing them access to our fort

However, this time we were ready, and Elizar was already in her archers nest, and they didn't have archers.

We bought a reasonable amount of seeds and plants and barrels and booze from the elves, as well as two more bins of cloth, all for one stack of 28 gorilla meat roasts. However, they wanted another 22, which we reluctantly accepted.

All and all, we lost 3 war dogs in the fight against the goblin archers. Two of them were shot and killed, and the other was killed with a melee weapon of some sorts. Arcania isn't taking it too well

There is a war dog called Asteth Thobbungek, which has a pierced Right Lung, and it constantly looks pitiful, but I think it will survive. It can survive on one lung, right?

12th Slate 263
WHOOPS!! We were awoken today to an almighty crash. Tally immediatly said "OH NO! The aquifier rock has collapsed!", but it just turned out to be a part of the fortifications we were clearing in order to make better fortifications. Elizars nest partially fell down, but it doesn't seemed to have done any major damage, other than a huge dust cloud which is billowing out of it.

Oh... Jesus has been knocked unconcious. Never mind.

14th Slate 263
I had the honour of removing the final support of the massive aquifier piercing project Tally has envisioned. It was amazing to look at, a huge rectangle, preciouriously supported by a huge thick log. The rectangle of soil was huge itself. Tally measured it to be 35 meters, by 35 meters, by 15 meters in size!!

When I released the log, however, nothing seemed to happen, so I returned to the fortress to growl at Tally, and get another job for myself.

Tally quickly discovered the source of the problem, and she thinks she can fix it reasonably quickly.

28th Slate 263
Arcayna is absolutely annoyed at the moment, and nothing we can do can console her.

7th Felsite 263

The floodgates have been cleared of goblin corpses, and narrow clothing, and now can open and close freely now.

9th Hematite 263
Humans have come, and surely they will bring some goblin friends. Probably 3 now...

Man... Arcayna's depression is starting to get to all of us...

But the fortifications are SO CLOSE TO BEING COMPLETED!! Arcayna has been given the honours to complete them.

10th Hematite 263
Please find enclosed an engraving in wood of what our fort looks like as of 10th Hematite 263:

I don't believe we will be improving on this fort design for some time.

13th Hematite 263
Jesus is negotiating with the Humans, and forcefully now that we have underground bedrooms, thus securing our right as dwarves to be called dwarves! He has demanded cheeses, wood logs, charcoal, and pig iron and iron bars.

The humans never let us down...

They gave us at least 30 logs, a couple of barrels of booze, and a few iron, pig iron, and charcoal bars. All together, we couldn't trade enough goods on the first day!!

We need more stuff to give them. That was my job... but I never got around to it.

18th Hematite 263
Another ambush, this time pure melee, to the north. Lever pulled, Elizar sent to send them away... typical drill as always. And as always, if they manage to get through in time, the human guards are easily capable of taking the goblin ambushers out...

19th Hematite 263
Ambush over. Casualties: Two more war dogs.

Surprisingly, Elizar managed to slip out just before we could close the floodgates. Without any melee training, she could easily die!!

The gates were ordered open... double time!!

And not before time, the second she got inside, the goblins came AGAIN, from the south!! But this time, they were sent away by a truely ruthless barrage of arrows from the human traders!! You have not lived, in my opinion, until you have seen a hail of arrows so intense and consentrated that within a 25 meter width, there are no less than 4 arrows in the air at any one time!! [i[I missed the screenshot of that, sorry... but it was impressive!![/i]

11th Malachite 263
The humans seem to want many more things than usual... they want seeds, amuleys, and legwear... none of which we can provide them!!

13th Malachite 263
I have released the log again... and this time the aquifier piercing giant block of soil...

Collapsed!! It was a magnificent sight... as this huge rectangular glob of soil wavered, hung in the air, as the log that was supporting it fell to the bottom, and then it fell. Like a rock, incredably quickly!!

One of the puppies fell down to the bottom, and another two are trapped on the top of the middle mound of soil, and the water has rushed like mad out into the corridor, but hopefully this has destroyed the aquifier...

The water in that image is 4/7 level water, so there is another level below that, but it is covered in water

The water in the corridors will be a problem, but the dry season will soon dry all of that up.

12th Galena 263
We have sealed off the floodgates for the duration of autumn and winter, as no-one friendly ever comes. Now I think we are almost indestructable...

Except for the gaping hole which will soon become our main entrance/exit into the under-mines... everything is fine :D

(We really need a roof there...)

With much improved defences, Elizar has been relieved of her military duties, and is starting to help move everything around, as well as making more bone bolts for her.

22nd Galena 263
What an unusual climate!! This year, the lake has been totally filled... but with autumn fast approaching, it will dry out within a week, no doubt. Our reserviour is completely full, however...

4th Limestone 263
I saw Tally come out of the underground region of our fort smiling and grinning from ear to ear. I wasn't too surprised, until I saw his hands. They were white. White... with Limestone.

Not a damp limestone wall, however... a solid, hard layer of limestone!! He had broken the aquifier, and we could finally use rocks!!

Almost all of our buildings have been ordered to be torn down. Only food-stuff buildings are authorised to remain top-side. This includes my kitchen, but the butcher / boneworker has been ordered to be torn down.

Our meeting hall will soon be removed, and replaced with a MUCH nicer limestone one further down. We have so much hope for the future, we are about to burst!!

16th Limestone 263
A second iron pick has been requested, so that Dermonster, who won't be doing any more woodcutting, can help with the mining.

19th Limestone 253
Tally has organised another party, which is great as we need the boost in morale, after working solidly for an entire year. Elizar is also invited, and hopefully she can enjoy a party as she isn't needed in the military.

Jesus is planning a underground mine setup, and a double-doored 'air-lock' setup to ensure that we never need any military again. At all!! His goal is for us to be permanently sealed in for all the days of the year, and the goblins can never get to us!!

12th Timber 263
With a nearly unlimited amount of flux, I can finally start making a few steel bars here and there. Unfortunatly, we are going to need to locate a vein of iron ourselves somehow...

And if not... then we will somehow find another way to gather the thousand-odd iron bars we need.

9th Moonstone 263
I made a nice steel armor piece for Elizar when she gets back on duty, as well as a steel buckler. I don't have enough steel for greaves, gauntlets, or anything else for that matter... But I did make some boots!

I probably should work on making some prepared meals, to be honest, however.

As soon as I finish smelting this steel.

14th Moonstone 263
Zorgoth has replaced me as chief mechanic, and Tally as chief mason. I guess I have been stuck with stone-working, if ever we start making stone crafts for trading...

Elizar is a dedicated hauler, as we need some things moved ... so I guess it could be worse.

However, I would like to have my own steel chain mail.

2nd Obsidian 263
The orders have been placed for 30 floodgates, 30 doors, 30 thrones, 30 tables, and 30 statues at the one masons workshop. That will take some time to complete, and also it will clear the entire living quarters from stone!!

10th Obsidian 263

All the meals have been made, and I am out of flour, tallow, and cheese. But at least we can trade with the humans for even more cheese and flour!!

I have begun milling for more flour.

1st Granite 264
Happy new year!!

It is a happy year. Our above ground fort is booming, our defences are almost complete, and the groundworks for a tunnel of total death is also planned!!

Our food and booze supplies couldn't be better...

But I am worried about Arcania. She really should have given birth by now... I hope she and Zorgoth aren't having problems.

We will need to somehow drain the ocean into the aquifier to provide enough room for a drydock... but before we do that, we will need to build a method of killing tons of goblins in a quick way, so that the surface is safe again. Unfortunatly, I don't believe steel chain mail is good enough to fight off the goblin horde.

We might not actually open the gates to the elves. We have considered it, and we are planning on voting by tommorow. But if we only trade with the humans, we are guaranteed a decent defence.

Regardless, next year, once our 'air-lock' is complete, we will let the elves in, as then we can be totally seperate from the world (with the minor exception of the traders, who will be allowed in.

So vote!! Votes close in 3 days time, which is when I will finally be able to play DF again.

The plan is to build an air-lock that looks like this:
Code: [Select]
W      W
WXXXXXXW
W      W
X DDDDDW
X DDDDDW
X DDDDDW
X DDDDDW
X DDDDDW
W      W
WXXXXXXW
W      W
Where X is the floodgates, W is the wall, and D is the depot. In short, the left floodgates will be opened to let in the elves, then the left floodgate will be closed. Then the top and bottom will be opened, and trading will commence. Then the top and bottom will be closed, and then the left opened, and then the left closed (after the traders leave), and finally, the top and bottom floodgates opened (to allow easy transfer between the mines and the farms.

However, this system isn't functional yet, and as a result, we are very vulnerable to goblin ambushes. If we let the elves in, we risk letting in goblins, which could possibly lead to fatalities, and the elves can't defend very well. But if we leave them out... well... I *think* there are diplo penalties, which could lead to elvish ambushes, and we miss out on booze for another season. And if the air-lock isn't finished in time (IE. By early summer) we will have to leave the gates open for the humans, and hope they don't leave us behind...[/i]

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7757-merchantswims

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2010, 06:34:32 am »

I say we do that, but screw the potential elvish diplomatic penalties. It'd be only one caravan, I've had a bunch of those killed in a row, but the elves never really came back with revenge. Only when their sacred trees were murdered.

Also, diplomats from them show up when nobles do, I recall.
And since there are no dwarves around, there will be no nobles save for a mayor in a very distant future. No nobles, no elf diplomats, no treefall-caps.

It's a win-win situation!

And now, something of slight value.

Entry **********

Dear friend, I just don't get it.

I try to act like a dwarf, they stray away.
I cut my beard and try to act like a human, they stray away.

I come up with a plan to save us all, they flock around me and call me their savior.

Then a while later, when I was fixing this or that, it fell faster and stronger than I expected and I was knocked out. And what do I hear as I'm coming to?

"Oh... Jesus has been knocked unconscious. Never mind."

At times, I envy Digit. He had the luck to die before his torment here became too great. Arcayna has been slowly slipping, and if things don't suddenly improve around here, which I am not entirely sure about, she's gonna kick it off.

But I must be strong! Sure, building the ship is going to take a lot of work, most of which will be done by me from the looks of it*unintelligent scribbling, possibly insults or self-praise*-and I tell you, they're going to be running around like scared rabbits once we leave!

"Oh no, the ship isn't producing enough power to operate!"
"WE'RE GONNA CRASH!"
"WE'RE GONNA DIE!"

And then in chorus, they will shout "SAVE US JESUS!"
And I'll put that gear back in place.

Oh, it'll be glorious.
Well, that's my break over. I'm going back to work now.
Only you, and that single moment in the future, are keeping me sane.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:36:48 am by Ieb »

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2010, 07:20:47 am »

"How about we give them the barest profit margin?" Elizar said at the meeting. "I've heard few tales from traders. One goes that if you give them too much stone junk to make them ecstatic, they'll try to prong on you much more cloth. Our kind of craft exchanged for their kind of craft."

"But if we give them only so much profit margin, enough to make them accept but pisses them off, they'll not try to push on us some cloth, but come with animals that they think that will kill us, or berries that they think is poisonous to us. The baron in one fort where I was at owned a giant desert scorpion that came from the elves, and I've had a taste of Sunshine, which is the best surface-plant drink I've had."

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2010, 09:42:35 am »

Unless we can find a source of magma, I suggest we keep our doors open to the elves. We need the wood to keep smelting metals. The humans will without a doubt be useful to us, as we need all the iron they can give us. They also trade a much more useful array of other goods.

In order to keep our airlock secure, of course, we could make use of a hallway of traps. Traders somehow have a magical ability to avoid all traps, but goblins will be harmed instead. Any that are smart.. I mean, lucky.. enough to avoid all the traps will easily be taken care of by the trader's soldiers. We could arm these traps with weapons made of other, less valuable metals, such as copper.

In the case where we don't want the elves anymore, we could use the aquifer to start a tower-cap farm.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2010, 10:00:35 am »

We'd need an underground watersource before we can do a tower-cap farm. And those are only around mountain regions, so we're out of luck by that aspect.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2010, 10:25:28 am »

I thought you could use an aquifer? I must have been mistaken then.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2010, 10:53:10 am »

Only an underground river or pool will do.  The water itself has nothing to do with tower caps, however, the discovery of an underground water source is what permits tower caps to grow in the first place.  Once found, they'll start growing on any subterrainean soil with solid soil underneath, and any irrigated rock (regardless of where the water came from).

I hope I get born soon.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:23:22 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6