Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Merchantswims: A community game. Dwarven Survivor!  (Read 4754 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Merchantswims: A community game. Dwarven Survivor!
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2010, 10:19:22 pm »

skeelz/relations of my dwarf?

i am honestly suprised that we haven't spontaneously exploded yet.

or it might just be that you are wrining the words in my mouth, so its negated.

either way, insert funny comment here.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2010, 10:38:25 pm »

Or maybe it is because, as cook/brewer/miller/metalworker/furnace operator/woodburner of the fort, you never have to leave the safety of the multiple layers of walls :P

Your friendly with everyone, BTW, everyone is friendly with everyone else (except Zorgoth and Arcayna of course)

Current stats of everyone:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And as for stats, here are the non-dabbling stats for everyone:

Zorgoth the wise
Extremely Strong, Unbelievably Agile
LEGENDARY wood-cutter
Proficent Axe-dwarf
Novice Carpenter
Novice Grower
Novice Clothier

Dermonster
Strong, Agile, Very Tough
Talented Brewer
Talented Cook
Novice Grower
Novice Mechanic

Tally
Mighty
Proficent Butcher
Skilled Tanner
Competent Leatherworker
Grower

Arcayna
Strong, Very Agile, Tough
Adept Grower
Proficent Herbalist
Competent Bone Carver
Novice Carpenter

Jesus
Strong, Superdwarvenly Tough
Talented Carpenter
Adept Appraiser
Novice Grower
Expert Record Keeper
Dabbling miner!?

Elizar
Very Strong, Agile, Tough
Adept Grower
Proficent Herbalist
Skilled Marksdwarf

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2010, 10:42:56 pm »

Jesus
Talented Carpenter
Adept Appraiser
Novice Grower
Expert Record Keeper
Dabbling miner!?

hes dwarven jesus. he has to have SOME mining.
on another note, you can get a bit of mining by removing ramps i think.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
  • Reproduces through Mitosis
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2010, 02:30:41 am »

ah, finnally been able to seee how im going along so i got married and im a nervous wreck... i smell a dwarven version of Arthas approaching as soon as my loved one dies -.-
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elder berries!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2010, 02:31:56 am »

we don't have an artifact adamantine short sword decorated with skulls and awesome yet.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2010, 03:38:31 am »

I love that.

Digit has 'complained of being dead recently'.

I guess Digit really is watching us. He's just sullen about it.

In other news, however, what are the particular goals for our ship construction? Any particular size? Do we just built a boat out of wood, seal it so we don't drain, and flood the room with water, and that's our 'embarking scene'? Or what?

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2010, 03:58:12 am »

I have a plan for the boat... but if you guys have a better one, offer it ;)

The boat plans will be announced, but it must be a boat that can survive a 30 day journey... oh, and in addition, it must survive the adamantine reef ;)

And the worst part about being dead, is that you cannot drink :P

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2010, 08:56:29 am »

Jesus
Talented Carpenter
Adept Appraiser
Novice Grower
Expert Record Keeper
Dabbling miner!?

My dwarf is having serious identity issues. He isn't human enough to be one, and even his brethren have started to doubt his sanity! Shaving his beard, I'll say.

To ease his troubled mind, there was but one thing to do. Dig a hole in the ground with his BEAR HANDS and cradle down there. In the dark. In the safety.

Oh the dwarfmanity!

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2010, 09:24:33 pm »

2nd Granite 262
Jesus invited me over to his table, where he had engraved a very large, and very complex picture of something in a huge block of wood. When I crouched down near him, he finally looked up, but said nothing.

After about a minute of silence, I asked him: "How do you expect us to break through a spiky, strong adamantine reef??"

Jesus smiled. "We need to use the second strongest material known to dwarfdom... steel! But a single hull of steel isn't enough... it would just rip... No... we need a double layered level of steel!"

At this I just choked. "Impossible! How can you make steel float? It is MUCH heavier than water! It will sink!"

Jesus pointed to a bucket, with a reasonable amount of water in it. There was a lump of clay sitting at the bottom. "The clay is also heavier than the water. However, if I do this to it:" , and he rounded out the clay, "then it will float. No-one knows why, but it just is. That shape makes ANYTHING float, including steel!!"

"But how would you make it move?"

"Simple: we use the excess heat from a smelter, to turn two turbines, which turn paddles and make the ship move. I call it a "smelter-ship""

"Fuel?? We would need TONS of charcoal, and metal objects"

"You cannot melt a chest. We just need tons of charcoal, and two chests, one for each engine."

I was impressed. He had obviously thought it through, I was hopeful, until I asked one last question:

"How big is it?"

"It is 135 meters long (27 tiles), and 35 meters thick (7 tiles). The bulkhead is 25 meters tall, most of which lies underwater, and double-hulled (5 tiles), and there is a wooden mast which is 25 meters tall, and square shaped!"

My mind boggled at the sheer size of this giant structure. Sure, our fort was nearly double the length of this ship... but the hull was to be designed purely by steel!

"How... how much steel do I need to make?"

"We need to make 958 units of steel, 494 units of wood, 2 units of any stone, 2 doors, 10 stairs, and 26 ropes for the sails"

I couldn't believe it... this person was asking for nearly 1000 units of steel! Each unit of steel needed 2 units of fuel, 2 of iron, and 2 of flux... thats over 2000 logs, 2000 iron bars, and 2000 units of flux!! I knew that we couldn't POSSIBLY make that in our lifetime. It was just too much! Each iron bar needed 1 wooden log as well!

We needed magma to pull this off... or many lifetimes of work...

7th Granite 262
A momentous day... one I couldn't delay any longer...

I walked up to everyone, wielding a weapon. But not just any weapon...

A PICK!

Tally has been assigned as the fortresses miner, as Dorgoth is too busy with his axe to bother with mining.

14th Granite 262
Jesus is busy trading with the elves. With our new-found pick, he is starting to show a little less respect to them, and asked for a bin of cloth and a golden salve barrel for two stacks of roasts. We will get more once he has more to bargain with, but we just need the cloth ASAP

5th Slate 262
Jesus loves my cow cheese roasts, they are very valuable. However, after he was reminded that we can't actually cook golden salve, he just opted to buy a second cloth bin.

Now we can get enough bags to mill a huge amount of flour!!

21st Slate 262
Elizar was starting to get very angry about her constant patrol duty, so we have asked her to continue her archery training until the humans arrive. In the meantime,we will improve her defensive location, and we have decided to kill all the 40-odd puppies we have so that we can have plenty of bones for her to train with

4th Felsite 262
I have started up a nice party, which should dramatically improve moral!

4th Hematite 262
We have struck the aquifier... it is pretty deep ... 4 z-levels below the surface.

Never mind, we are dwarves, we know how to beat petty aquifiers!

16th Hematite 262
The humans have arrived, and the representative is meeting with Jesus. This time, Jesus seems much more confident, and the representative seems shocked!!

He has asked for tons of wood, barrels, cheeses, pearlash, potash, and charcoal, and pig iron and iron bars

They want plants, cloth, and footwear. Unusual...

Finally, Jesus has bought tons and tons of cheese, copper and iron bars, a little bit of flour, and a ton of beer

21st Galena 262
In order to ensure our safety, everybody is now being allowed to own 7 war dogs. I already have mine, and both Zorgoth and Elizar have had thiers for some time now.

At the end of this, we will have 35 war dogs... and we will kill the rest.

But everyone is working too hard, and we are starting to be overrun with dogs EVERYWHERE!! Thankfully, we have 2 cages now. And two male cats

1st Limestone 262
The dry season has come, and the lake never got to any decent level. As a result, we couldn't refill our reserviour if we wanted to. Thankfully, we don't want to yet.

Tally (our miner / animal trainer / butcher / leatherworker / tanner) has run out of war dogs to train. Now she is finishing off all the puppies

15th Limestone 262

Goblins!! We have been ambushed!! We have ordered the floodgates to be slammed shut, but they have come from the north, where our fortifications are useless.

Thankfully, there are no archers in this ambush, which means that Elizar can just snipe all of them.

19th Limestone 262
I think we have taken out all the ambushers, so the floodgates have been risen. Unfortunatly, Elizar is not happy.

12th Sandstone 262
Arcayna has given birth to a boy... we were expecting a baby soon, but in autumn!? This is a good sign!

Arcayna has named the boy 'Haika'

28th Sandstone 262

Elizar is still unhappy. She liked the new caskets she as acquired in her own room, and she is the only one with a room (although Jesus is currently blessing 2 more rooms, one of which I hope to get soon!). But her pet wasn't buried... it decayed, and she is NOT liking that.

The cats are doing a decent job controlling vermin, however...

15th Moonstone 262

Another ambush, and again, another group of melee soldiers.

If we can survive another couple of seasons, our fortifications will be complete... but the gates are down again, and Elizar is fighting them... again.

We lost 3 more dogs... building the caskets to store them is going to take some time!!

24th Moonstone 262
Elizar has alerted us to a rather worrying development: We are out of ammunition. Elizar herself, however, is planning on making a ton of ammunition from the assorted bones lying around

5th Opal 262
Wha... wha... wha...

NO!!!! Haika has been stolen... right from Arcania's arms! No-one ever spotted the thief. Arcayna seems to be taking it rather well though... she doesn't seem to notice that Haika has been lost

22nd Obsidian 262

Elizar has managed to construct some 250-odd bolts, and has gone back to her rigiourous training schedule. However, the remaining six dwarves are almost run ragged...

It seems we won't be able to see any rock before the turn of the year, but maybe in 2 months time...

If it takes this long to cause a cave-in... how long is it going to take before we can construct a ship like Jesus wants??

1st Granite 263
I can't believe it. We have survived 3 entire years!!

I am still silently mourning the loss of Haika, it would have been nice to have an extra pair of hands. I think we will be seeing him again soon, but I don't think that he will be friendly to us. I just hope that Elizar can manage to pull the trigger.

But we are doing well. Fortifications around the perimeter are over half done, and the northern front is about 2/3rds done We have a massive stockpile of charcoal, and raw supplies for roasts (although we won't be trading many roasts this year, I think. Water reserviours are at 100%, and our fort has never been stronger.

But the size of the fort is becoming too large for just seven dwarves. We are running around constantly, and yet more jobs keep on happening. When we start hitting rock, I think we can say goodbye to Tally for the remainder of our forts life, as she will be constantly searching ... searching for iron and magma and bitumous coal, and other things. We were planning on starting up a glass industry at the beginning of the year... that isn't going to happen! There just isn't enough to do!

I will need to start brewing some more drinks... or buy it off the elves. The latter option is probably the better option, as some of the dwarves are starting to complain about the lack of variety of the booze available.

But we still need more for our boat:
STEEL 0/958 (0%)
WOOD 88/494 (17.8%)
STONE 1/2 (50%)
DOORS 0/2 (50%)
STAIRS 10
ROPE 0/26 (0%)

I don't expect to get off this rock in this century. I just hope I live long enough to see home again.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7741-merchantswims

Dear Haika: Sorry about that... I have no idea how a goblin manages to snatch a baby without the mother discovering it. To make up, Arcania now has 3 war dogs constantly guarding her. Oh, and you can pick another name, and you can be the baby that comes after Roger
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:32:49 pm by digitCruncher »

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2010, 09:29:09 pm »

Double post due to size:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the plans for the ship. It is a big ship, and my first megaproject. But this should be fun :D  Once the drydock is carved out, then I will start taking screenshots of the drydock / ship as it changes. But that drydock is going to be HUGE!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2010, 10:02:18 pm »

Lol, I needed a good laugh. :D Need restraints at all entrances to the fort, with war dogs tethered.

Name the new kid 'Semag'. Gender nonspecific ftw.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2010, 10:27:29 pm »

I think the baby was snatched when Arcayna was out gathering wood... which means tethered dogs wouldn't have worked. There are dogs out near the entrance 24/7 anyway, so that wouldn't solve the problem.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2010, 11:48:54 am »

In the vanilla game, 1 iron + 1 pig iron = 2 steel.  You shouldn't need twice as much iron as your desired steel amount, unless you've got some kind of difficulty-enhancing mod.

So 968 steel requires 968 iron, 968 flux, and anywhere from 968 to 2904 fuel.

Also, I want to be a baby (named Arrkhal).  Probably a furnace operator and blacksmith, if I survive to adulthood.  Also, I should love magma, be opposed to killing kobolds, and strongly support using cage traps to capture babysnatchers so they can be thrown into a torture chamber (an exit-only corridor with lots of single whip weapon traps). :P
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2010, 12:08:57 pm »

Or it is possible to buy steel from...

Oh, I forgot, humies do not make any steel <_<. You can buy iron from them, and hopefully there's flux in them hills.

Ohh boy, kids. Those are going to invite several ambushers. I believe it may be time to make an entrance corridor with stonefall traps. Just one in the military is bad enough.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Arkaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2010, 12:25:37 pm »

Apparently I didn't care about the kid very much... Too bad we're trusting the future dwarven population to me.  ;D ;D

edit: on a side note, if they live long enough, that's going to be a lot of inbreeding
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:33:39 pm by Arkaine »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6