Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Merchantswims: A community game. Dwarven Survivor!  (Read 4748 times)

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merchantswims: A community game. Dwarven Survivor!
« on: December 29, 2009, 04:59:30 pm »

Disclaimer: This story will NOT be about swimming merchants. I don't want to risk any war yet >.>

I feel it is about time that I start up a LOOOONNNGG community game, just so that I can have the privilidge of being the only person using 40d after the new version is released :P

This community game is probably very similar to some other games... but that shouldn't stop it from being fun.

The scenario is as follows: A bunch of dwarven outcasts... sailors in fact, are stranded on a foriegn continent after hitting a reef, and losing thier ship.

Not all was lost, however! They managed to scuttle the ship, and gather many resources. A quick count of everything they have is as follows:

Now lost on a distant world, they must rebuild a ship capable of returning to the mountainhomes. (The exact requirements of this ship will be dependant on whether the site has a magma pipe or not... If I have magma, I think I will build one of only a few steam ships in DF :D)

But what is the catch? Simple :D There are no dwarves. This means, no dwarven caravan, no immigrants... all the dwarves I have will need to be born there!! (On the plus side, AFAIK, there is no nobles either!!) Not only that, this ship is an exploration ship... it wasn't MEANT to strike the earth. This means that there are no picks to be brought on embark (but if someone is feeling REALLY mean, they can have a miner dwarf... if you don't like me :( :P). Finally, the humans do not trust us... so we cannot buy picks from them. We need to make them ourselves.

With seven dwarves, the first two years or so will be entirely above ground!! So ... who wants to be part of the Dwarven Survivor reality show??

(Embark information will follow once I generate the world)

DWARVES:

Jesus [Ieb]: Carpenter / (Broker?)
Digit [digitCruncher]: Cook / Brewer [DECEASED, killed by a couger, 17th Sandstone 260]
Dermonster [dermonster]: Marksdwarf / Hunter
Zorgoth "the wise" [DwarfOfDefeat]: Axedwarf / Woodcutter
Tally [Tally]: Butcher / Tanner / Leatherworker
Arcayna [Arcaine]: Bonecrafter / Woodworker
elizar [elizar]: Farmer / Herbalist
Haika [Haika]: Bonecarver, who wants to buy cows. Maybe even a cheese maker?? ;) Currently a baby, son of Arcayna [STOLEN: By an un-known and unidentified goblin, 5th Opal 262]
Roger [roger123275]

And baby names!!

Arrkhal [Arrkhal]: Metalcrafter who LURRVES magma
Semag [Haika]: Replacement for Haika
Eztuzt [Eztuzt]: The Future Awesomesauce Chef
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:40:03 am by digitCruncher »

Tark

• Bay Watcher
  • on what even did not?
    • View Profile
Re: Showerpicks: A community game. Dwarven Survivor!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 05:05:59 pm »

How are you going to make picks if you don't have an Anvil?

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 05:09:36 pm »

What kind of world are you taking? An island or a no-dwarf-left world?

Remember that if you pick an island, you'll still get immigrants and caravans as long as there is any land connected to the edge.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:15:42 pm »

@Tark: Trade for it >.>

Or somehow kill the first human caravan that comes through... but I think trading is easier. Especially with only seven dwarves

But it could be as late as the third summer before I get an anvil, and thus it could be as late as the third autumn before we retreat into caves like REAL dwarves!

@elizar: A no-dwarf world. I modded dwarves to die when they are 2, and then removed that mod. Thus, there are no dwarfs on this planet!!

@Everyone else: The site:

It almost certainly has magma (I had to move it a little to the east, as the site finder gave me a tiny litle 1 square tile to work with), and definitly has flux. Therefore, I shall build a steamship!! (The ocean is serene... so merpeople?? ^.^

[Edit]If dwarves can survive outside in the freezing weather without dying of frostbite (which I strongly doubt), this might be a more... fun... site:

Guaranteed magma pipe (looks like it is open as well), and terrifying, just for fun. But I am not that great at DF, so when you place your charactors, please vote for whatever site you want to land on... it depends on if you want early game fun, or late game fun :P [/Edit]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:22:56 pm by digitCruncher »

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 05:25:58 pm »

Remember that you got to give a caravan a profit before you get humans.

Thus you got to swallow any elf-hating and give them something to be happy about before the humans decide to be part of the profit.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 06:53:38 pm »

Just saying about your first embark site, I'm pretty sure civ's have access to tiles that are at least diagonally connected to the mainland. So a site in that location would be accessible to all civ's.

That is, IF I'm right.
But I'm pretty sure. But I could be wrong.

If I was wrong, I'll be the Carpenter. Call me Jesus.

EDIT: Of course, the above only applies if the other civ's are restricted access to the part of the map the human civ is on. Like a mountain range or so on.

Note to self, stop reading threads during "I'm off to bed" mode. Only dwarf civ is excluded from this thing, not all but humans.

I still call the Carpenter named Jesus.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:57:34 pm by Ieb »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 08:52:09 pm »

I SHALL BE ZE...

hm...

marksdwarf?

OUR ONLY LINE OF DEFENCE AGAINST THE whatever the heck is on this continent.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
  • Reproduces through Mitosis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 05:03:18 am »

i shall be an axedwarf/woodworker by the name of zorgoth the wise (yes im a knight-dwarf but no i dont need a metal suit give me my axe and a shield and ill be fine)

or ill take a merman by the name syliuos and he will be a random merman if any at all i also like to help dwarves (dont no if my guy will do somthing like that but wat ever)

Edit: i shall be the true line of defence while my fellow marksdwarf gives them a nice bolt between the eyes as i cut a limb off!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 05:12:58 am by DwarfOfDefeat »
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elder berries!

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 06:26:39 am »

Sweet...

A carpenter / (Broker??), an axedwarf / woodworker, and a marksdwarf / (hunter? Fisherman?), and a Cook/Brewer

Just 3 spots left, I wll start in around 8-10 hours from now. Late-comers are always welcome... I can ret-con names ;) But I cannot ret-con stats.

And if more than seven people want to be in this challange... You will have to be in queue as some of the existing dwarves make some babies :D

And from an overwhelming vote of 1 to 0, we are starting at the terrifying frozen terrain (unless I cannot survive past the first year, in which case I will settle for the wussy calm, hot terrain.)

Story will begin once I have some sleep!

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 06:27:39 am »

I can be your butcher/tanner. Perhaps also with some leatherworking in (I might also have to take on animal taming, but prefer to be untrained for the purpose of better abilities elsewhere). I do know this much will be necessary in the beginning stages of the game. Our farmer could pick bushes as much as he wants, but meat will be the biggest support for our crew for our first year, and if we can get a meat engine going, it will be more reliable than fishing. Our crafter will also need bones for trade goods and bolts (wood can suffice as well, but is too precious a resource when it has to be exclusively relied upon for construction so early).

With so many war dogs, also, leashing a few of them to the marksman could mean some happy hunting.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 07:50:26 am »

I'll go for a farmer/herbalist here. You're going to need some plants to make booze of when they run out. and as you can't dig for a while, you can't get the underground seeds to work.

And a vote to the first site.

Arkaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 07:53:01 am »

I'll take the last one and edit in the job

edit:  I'd like fisherdwarf named Arkaine (male) or Arcayna (female).  If you radically need a job besides fishing, i'll take whatever you need.

edit2: fuck it's a frozen terrain...  I'll guess i'll go with a bonecrafter then so I can make bone bolts for dermonster
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:04:31 am by Arkaine »

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 09:07:11 am »

I think the radically needed other job would be a bonecrafter. Woodcrafting could also go well with it (what do you make when you don't have bone for a while?)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 11:53:59 am »

hunter/marksdwarf.

get me armor as soon as i can alright?

He shall be eternally depressed because of the curse his name brings with him.

Curse: in almost every community fort i have ever been in, i have either been brutally injured, or dead. I have brought doom upon us all.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merchantswims: A community game. Dwarven Survivor!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 04:17:19 pm »

Small oversight:

We don't have any bauxite (OUCH!) or groundhog meat available in this embark site. I have switched them for microcline (I like it's blue colour) and Deer meat (Yay venison!!)

Another oversight: I forgot to change the name of the fort. Retcon FTW!! Also, merchantswims would be an EPIC name for a regular fort, except with this fort, we can't risk the backlash of war...

Each person has the following personalities:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cooks log:
14th Galena 258

I failed my marksdwarf training for yet another time... but I have been persuaded to join an exploration ship instead. I have heard that it is filled with the finest sailors on this continent, but this is from the same person who threatened to have me jailed for stealing allegedly stealing two barrels of dwarven rum. Sailors are all too often not dwarven, and the dwarves are all too happy to have them sail out of sight... so I doubt his words strongly.

8th Sandstone 258

I am here, and his words were true: These are the finest sailors in the entire continent of Wallstoke. Unfortunatly, all the sailors in Wallstoke are crazy. Where to start??

First there is Jesus. I knew he was a little odd by the odd hat he wears on his head, but with his fondness for long noses, near constant state of near-depression, the long stick of bread he holds all the time, and the fact that he constantly asks that his name be pronounced Yay-soos, makes me think he has some sort of odd brain injury. However, he is a great carpenter, knows the price of goods, and knows a nice trick with water which would help with our drinking situation, if it gets dire enough. He worships the god of gems, which is nice. I think that it is close enough to trade and wealth to be saved...

Then there is Dermonster. This highly paranoid marksdwarf has a keen eye... for armor. He has been COMPLAINING ABOUT NOT HAVING ANY LEATHER BUCKLERS FOR 3 HOURS NOW!! He is going to sea... what is the worst that could happen? A fish jumping aboard?? He worships the deity of fire, volcanos, and mountains ... stupid pyromancer. He will burn down the booze stockpiles, you mark my words!!

Then we have the blood-crazed, pompous Zorgoth. He demands to be called 'the wise' constantly, which probably makes him more stuck up than Jesus. It is one thing to be called the son of a deity ... but another ENTIRELY to demand to be a philosopher and do no work around here! Unfortunatly, as the axedwarf guard, he isn't likely to see any action anyway!

Then, Tally. Poor Tally. She hides away in her room all day, looking at the paintings that she makes, and doesn't talk often. She has her uses, she is a good tanner, and a good leatherworker, so she can fix the sails of the ship, and makes good trade goods for the natives!

Arcanya ... the rebel. She was in the royal mountainhomes as a craftsdwarf, until she created "The Kings Royal Rod", something which she called 'creative and expressive artform', and which the King, and the council of modesty called 'Irresponsable, and infuriatingly insulting towards the monarchy'. She was thrown out of the mountainhomes, and takes orders from no-one ... unless she is bound. Which she is right now.

And then Elizar. I have no idea why a FARMER is coming on an exploration mission... he can't put any seeds anywhere!! But I think that that is to do with his parents... being keen sailors themselves, he obviously just wants to impress them. Hardly a good reason to go to sea.

Ahh.... I need a drink, but the local mead hall has locked me out. Bah... I will show them what 'drunken and disorderly' REALLY means!!

<Miscellanious cooking storys of the voyage are omitted for brevity>

1st Granite 259

I still have sand in my ears, but the voyage is ruined. A huge storm has come down, and forced us onto a reef. Our hull was strong... but apparently, the reef was made of solid adamantine ... which is insane! Our hull had no chance, and we sailed to the nearest set of land before the ship sunk. Zorgoth took command, and started ordering everyone to take the ship, which he was ripping apart with his axe, to a safer location far away. I managed to grab a fragment of adamantine which was embedded in the hull... it is beautiful.

Dermonster has spotted a magma pipe to the north. He says that that could be a curse, with the fire imps that reside there. There are also two ogres to the north, which are just hanging around...

Jesus is constantly walking on water. I wish he would stop, as that ice could melt at any moment, and he can't swim. But everything is ice here, and the snow is deep.

Zorgoth ordered up an emergency meeting... and told us all what we were to do. First, we need to construct a massive shelter, as the winter could be deathly cold. His plans call for exactly 404 logs ... and we have 80. He promises to get the required logs as soon as possible, and at that, he sprinted off, screaming, and slaugthering the pines everywhere.

That left the six of us. Jesus started to work on the top-left corner of the shelter, and the rest of us just sat around, waiting for the shelter to be built before we could build our own workshops, which will be needed to survive in this hostile environment.

To be continued... hopefully

[Edit]Whoops... I forgot, you CAN build workshops outside. You just can't build *furnature* outside. Everyone is working now :D[/Edit]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 04:24:22 pm by digitCruncher »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6