Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Perfect 2D MMORPG ~Part 2  (Read 5827 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Perfect 2D MMORPG ~Part 2
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:49:15 am »

Now, some of you may recall me making one of these threads about 6 or more months ago. A good number of people responded with their ideals for a game, I responded to each and everyone of them with examples of a game I was making.
I walked away from that with an excellent imbuement of dedication, new ideas and pretty much an improvement on the game.

Now, I wanted to ask you all again in hopes of another shimmy-storm of good responses; The Perfect 2D MMORPG. What is required, in your opinion?

Here is what has already been discussed;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect 2D MMORPG ~Part 2
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 10:50:08 am »

Extension that couldn't fit in the Original Post;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 12:39:04 pm »

IMO a bunch of people here have never played late-game WoW, or even bothered to look at the wiki before accusing it of such things. There is no 'ultimate build', 'ultimate weapon', 'one place to rule them all', 'grindish quests', etc... I'm not sure why everyone is convinced that the quests one partakes in for the first 10 levels are the quests that exist throughout the entire game.

High-tier WoW has a huge amount of variety. There's multiple builds and multiple competing theories of combat, each with different equip sets, enchant sets, etc... On top of that, each player can bring their own unique builds to the items, say swapping out one enchant for the other, etc...

There is no ultimate anything in WoW. Although yes, mid-levels do tend to get grindy, late-game content more than makes up for it IMO.

Also, I'd say stop worrying about the proliferation of recipes and junk on wikis. Isn't that how it's supposed to work? I can go to my public library fairly easily and pick out a cookbook teaching me advanced recipes. However, it is up to the discretion of the discoverer whether or not to post such a recipe on the wiki. I know of many games with tech trees which clans discover and refuse to release publicly for their own advantage. Worrying about recipes being posted is a moot point.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 12:50:30 pm »

Holy crap.
That is a mighty wall of text there.
If I understood it correctly, you and a team are going to try to make it...?
I wish you luck in your endeavors and can't wait to see the result.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 01:10:56 pm »

There are games out there where the player community is just very good at keeping secrets. It's a holdover from text adventure games and MUDs I think, where part of the fun was discovering it yourself. If you have the walkthrough you can stomp through the game and all its puzzles in a few minutes. Not fun at all really.

I think when we look at the third-party game websites where you can buy virtual goods or find walkthroughs and builds and hints and such, maybe the game manufacturer wants those to exist. Because players want them, and what really matters is that people are playing your game.

Now if a game company sold virtual goods for real money, including a scheme where if you have a premium account your character gains a daily income or EXP gain boost, then the third-party website would be competition rather than a complementary thing.

And of course, this.

(TL;DR: Everquest's currency (Platinum Pieces) is worth 0.01 USD each and it functions exactly like in a real currency market. My thoughts: paper money, credit, and bank accounts are virtual wealth anyway)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 02:39:59 pm »

Just make sure that the huge world isn't too empty, as afflicted Oblivion. You'll be starting off with a small playerbase, you don't want them to get lost.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 02:41:02 pm »

There are games out there where the player community is just very good at keeping secrets. It's a holdover from text adventure games and MUDs I think, where part of the fun was discovering it yourself. If you have the walkthrough you can stomp through the game and all its puzzles in a few minutes. Not fun at all really.

I think when we look at the third-party game websites where you can buy virtual goods or find walkthroughs and builds and hints and such, maybe the game manufacturer wants those to exist. Because players want them, and what really matters is that people are playing your game.

Now if a game company sold virtual goods for real money, including a scheme where if you have a premium account your character gains a daily income or EXP gain boost, then the third-party website would be competition rather than a complementary thing.

And of course, this.

(TL;DR: Everquest's currency (Platinum Pieces) is worth 0.01 USD each and it functions exactly like in a real currency market. My thoughts: paper money, credit, and bank accounts are virtual wealth anyway)

I think it's been proven a trillion times over that in game transactions for real world money make any game less fun.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 03:10:01 pm »

Uh, everything here kinda fits for Ultima Online... Really.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 03:16:01 pm »

Quote from: Tilla
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII

And of course, this.

I think it's been proven a trillion times over that in game transactions for real world money make any game less fun.

His argument was that games without a virtual currency market are a meritocracy, and the idea of that is very attractive to players. But players don't actually seem to want to work from the ground up in that environment when everyone else is super powerful - you want to escape real life, not play yourself in a game, after all. And everyone seems to like being able to cheat their way up. So virtual currency markets are popular with players for those reasons.

More specifically, virtual currency exchange is viewed by new players are a lovely thing, but by established players as horrible (until the established player decides to sell his account for $2000 that is).

Generalities. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion to some degree.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 09:05:04 pm »

Sounds like a lot of fun. Have a link to a dev page of some sort?
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 09:31:29 am »

Uh, everything here kinda fits for Ultima Online... Really.
You can create villages, hire villagers into your personal army, then train them up into heroes? There are turn-based 6-party-member battles? Battlefield battles? Duels?

Sounds like a lot of fun. Have a link to a dev page of some sort?
I'm not sure if i'm allowed to post that? If not, my apologies and delete the Links. Otherwise;

Website;
www.myworld.hostzi.com

World Map Image + Updated progress;
http://www.myworld.hostzi.com/images/worldmap.jpg

Mod|DB Webpage;
http://www.moddb.com/games/myworld
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 01:02:29 pm »

You can create villages, hire villagers into your personal army, then train them up into heroes? There are turn-based 6-party-member battles? Battlefield battles? Duels?
Yes, Yes, Yes, Tick-Based, Yes, Yes.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 02:02:11 pm »

This world seems a bit more malleable than Ultima. The fact that there was a lot of permant stuff in Ultima was kind of a low blow IMO.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 02:24:42 pm »

Yes, Yes, Yes, Tick-Based, Yes, Yes.
I do not think you follow on the difference between what you can do with other players and what you can do with NPCs. Because, to my memory, NPC interaction in UO was much more limited than what's described.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 04:25:07 pm »

This sounds really difficult but promising.
Pages: [1] 2 3