Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Perfect 2D MMORPG ~Part 2  (Read 5821 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect 2D MMORPG ~Part 2
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2010, 08:32:17 pm »

No Classes
Not a ton of grinding.
Able to play for 30 minutes and still make some progress
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 12:32:43 pm »

@mission0, you can keep track at www.moddb.com/games/myworld which is where I post the news and whatnot, the root "directory" so to speak is the development page on www.myworld.hostzi.com (The link may change soon, so heads up). And, thanks!

@DeKaFu, Yes, I was having the same trepeditions on how to handle this. I was thinking that hitting the Log Off button would then put them to sleep, whilst crashing/timing out may cause the player to stand for a few minutes (20? 45?) before falling asleep on the floor.

@SoWelu Point taken; maybe a macro can be set for your character, to travel back to a certain place and go to sleep there, which is activated when you hit Log Off?

@Quinnr
No classes? Yup.

Grinding? Define grinding... Doing something so much just to get your levels up? Nay, your character would get tired. I'm currently working up a system where your character can have "Issues" with doing some things, but that would cause a break in the immension, making it seem you are controlling somebody, rather than being that somebody. For example, catching a virus which causes bulimia, would make your character's food "need" bar go down quicker, making you eat more. But then, there's "Amnesia" or "Grief", which doesn't directly affect your character, other than in roleplay terms.

30 minute = progress? Everything you do is progress towards one thing or another. You can talk to a NPC for 30 minutes, do some quests for them, build a friendship. Gather wood, carve it into a (Probably broken or crappy) chair, but that's progress. Nothing happens overnight, but you can cause immediate effects with 30 minutes of gameplay.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 01:00:25 pm »

@DeKaFu, Yes, I was having the same trepeditions on how to handle this. I was thinking that hitting the Log Off button would then put them to sleep, whilst crashing/timing out may cause the player to stand for a few minutes (20? 45?) before falling asleep on the floor.
20 minutes seems kind of long for that. Don't most games use something closer to the 5-10 minute range?
For example, catching a virus which causes bulimia...
I don't know where to begin with that one.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 02:01:50 pm »

20 minutes seems kind of long for that. Don't most games use something closer to the 5-10 minute range?
For example, catching a virus which causes bulimia...
I don't know where to begin with that one.

20 minutes as in after you have logged off, which gives you plenty of time to log back in, before your character falls asleep. Logging off and "going to sleep" aren't the same thing, at least, not precisely.

Bulimia is an effect that can come from eating some plants in MyWorld, as an opposite to anorexia.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?
Pages: 1 2 [3]