Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tame animals fighting each other  (Read 2279 times)

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tame animals fighting each other
« on: December 28, 2009, 10:10:12 pm »

Reading some other threads about catsplosions etc., I thought of a possible solution, which is also reasonably realistic.

Even if the animals are tame, they still do have some instincts and a sense of territory, at least predators such as cats and dogs.
To avoid keeping track of an actual territory for each animal and perhaps also inter-animal relations (which I imagine could be needed for a perfect solution), you could let each animal keep track of a "stress" level which drops over time, but increases when it sees other animals of its own species. When the stress level goes too high, it will start attacking others; winning a fight should probably drop a lot off the stress level.

Also, cat-charmed dwarves need to feel less attachment to their feline owners for this to work.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tame animals fighting each other
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 10:37:09 pm »

It's an interesting idea.

I'd rather have a more realistic model of animal behavior (having individual personalities and a simplified thoughts screen and such) but this would be a lot easier to do.

I wouldn't suggest making it the major solution to overpopulation, though.  Fights may be frequent but realistically not many of them are going to be lethal, meaning that it'll probably end up taxing your CPU more than overpopulation would without the fights.  The dwarves would also be constantly cleaning up blood and stray cat limbs.  And you'd have to really dial down the unhappiness of losing a pet to avoid dwarves tantruming everywhere, which probably will make a dead pet trivial.

But letting tame animals fight eachother when it gets pretty crowded or they get annoyed isn't a bad idea.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 10:50:28 pm »

On the subject of dwarves' attachment to pets, different dwarves should probably have varying levels of attachment to said pets anyway; I don't think it should be based on the type of pet, but the dwarf's pet preferences should definitely be a factor.  I know that now, dwarves won't adopt things they don't like, but in the real world people would get pets for practical reasons as well as for companionship.  Dogs for guards, cats for ratting, etc.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:57:29 pm »

Agreed that fights between pets shouldn't be lethal enough to keep populations down. Maybe instead a pet defeated in a fight could consider themselves driven off the local territory, and have a chance to leave the map?

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 12:14:54 am »

Agreed that fights between pets shouldn't be lethal enough to keep populations down. Maybe instead a pet defeated in a fight could consider themselves driven off the local territory, and have a chance to leave the map?

I was thinking just limp away unhappily and heal in a corner somewhere for a while.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 01:18:40 am »

Urist McDwarf is taken by a fey mood!
Urist McDwarf arranges party at <Location of Fight>!
Urist McDwarf takes 10 dwarfbucks from all partygoers!
Urist McDwarf has created Uristurist, "Cockfighting"!
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 01:58:18 am »

While I like our current Garden of Eden-style fellowship between my livestock and my jaguar, giant jaguar, black bear, and alligator, I have to say it's pretty ridiculous how they live together in such perfect harmony. Cats should have, if not territory, then some random fights that could perhaps even produce injuries such as lightly hurt eyes and ears and whatnot. You should have to keep your lions far away from your lambs, your alligators far from your sheep, and your cats far from your tame birds. Failure to keep them separate would result in potential for bloody massacres.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 08:41:35 am »

A more likely population control scenario (which occurs often IRL) is infanticide.  Male cats, responding to a genetic imperative, frequently slaughter kittens fathered by other males if they are interested in the female.

Ankheg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chasing the Sunset
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 12:01:15 pm »

How would you keep your leopards away from your sheep, though?  Only allow certain dwarves to adopt either, and use different living quarters for leopard-dwarves and sheep-dwarves?  Perhaps better is the suggestion above that animals have personalities, likes and dislikes.  Some cats might like leopards, while some loathe sharks, for instance, and them meeting might develop into grudges and perhaps occasional squabbles?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 01:36:40 pm »

set animal fights like partys.
useing pets or trained animals in a set area (fighting area)
happy or bad thoughts for viewing or haveing your pet take part.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 02:56:32 pm »

How would you keep your leopards away from your sheep, though?
How do you normaly keep them apart? ::)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 03:47:55 pm »

How would you keep your leopards away from your sheep, though?
Same was as in reality - fence them in or keep them behind locked doors.

Seriously, we need fences and gates in this game.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 03:52:21 pm »

The ideal way to handle pets would be to have pet owners automatically caging them themselves if they are given a room with a cage in it.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 12:37:14 pm »

>:( [REJECTED]  >:(
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...