Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Orzammar Fortress  (Read 3381 times)

Fastler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Orzammar Fortress
« on: December 28, 2009, 07:04:14 pm »

I am currently playing through Dragon Age: Origins, and I wandered through their depiction of a dwarven fortress called Orzammer. It was arranged roughly in two semicircles in a giant cavern ambiguously connected, though both cut into a rock face that was above a lake of magma and all throughout the city there were magma flows just flowing down the walls. And I thought to myself: Hey, how dwarvenly indeed. I should make something like this. So this thread serves two purposes.

One: Has anyone ever created a fortress like this, suspended in a giant cavern above a lake of magma?
Two: Can anyone give me a site that hopefully has soil, no aquifer and hfs, but definitely a magma pipe and deep roads. Because I want to recreate this place.
I hear if you combine them with dwarven syrup you can make rhesus pieces.

There are no Kangaroos in Austria. Trust me.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Orzammar Fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 08:43:16 pm »

If I recall correctly (currently playing a dwarf rogue on Dragon Age) Orzammar seems to be completely underground. I don't remember seeing the entrance/exit. Your exit would be on the deep roads (which are actually in Dwarf Fortress, just finding them is hard).

Making a large lake of magma is very time consuming, but is very possible. Make sure you find a good method for allowing magma to fill in chambers. This way you don't have the magma cooling too quick.

I have something going, but it's taking ages to fill.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:45:51 pm »

How much have you played the game? You clearly come across the entrance, the one from the aboveground encampment to th hall of heroes which leads to the main cavern.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 02:32:41 am »

If you want to examine the layout of Orzammar in more detail, you can download the Dragon Age toolset at http://social.bioware.com/page/da-toolset and use it to view Orzammar from any angle you like. The rest of the Deep Roads too, for that matter. :)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 03:12:53 am »

I've never played Dragon Age and I don't really have any idea what it is. I looked up some pictures on Google, and DAMN. That's a dwarven fortress if I ever did see one!

I found this map of the commons, and a couple of pictures.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Fastler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 04:57:20 am »

I don't remember seeing the entrance/exit. Your exit would be on the deep roads (which are actually in Dwarf Fortress, just finding them is hard).

Yea, The entrance is through a large gate into a hall full of statues. And I know that the deep roads exist, I have just never found any. It would be so awesome if I could actually build on one of them.
I hear if you combine them with dwarven syrup you can make rhesus pieces.

There are no Kangaroos in Austria. Trust me.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 06:55:00 am »

I don't remember seeing the entrance/exit. Your exit would be on the deep roads (which are actually in Dwarf Fortress, just finding them is hard).

Yea, The entrance is through a large gate into a hall full of statues. And I know that the deep roads exist, I have just never found any. It would be so awesome if I could actually build on one of them.
I built inside a goblin deep road once. You've got to set the init setting to ALWAYS, and then you can see them all over the place, between Dark Fortresses and Dwarven fortresses.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 01:51:43 pm »

I've read tunnels take at least a worldgen of 200 years or more to start popping up, but you can always make your own. The world gen ones aren't too impressive, at least not as much as the dragon age ones.(Though I fully expect the roles to be reversed after a lot more versions of DF)

I've played a bit of dragon age, makes me wonder if the designer of Orzammar played dwarf fortress, it seems to have it all, magma, deep pits, annoying nobles, more magma, shitty housing for the poor(Economy anyone?), regular arena combat and a large and elaborate entrance with statues in it.

It would not surprise me at all if they had a magma trap in there, and after playing around a bit I felt like trying to make the place in DF. I never actually started making it, and just had it put in my list of potential megaprojects.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

killaconcarnage

• Bay Watcher
  • ROBOFISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 02:07:01 pm »

the problem is the hole city has to be in a mountain  not under it and i had the same idea yesterday you thief and i was gonna make this thread 

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 02:38:51 pm »

I've read tunnels take at least a worldgen of 200 years or more to start popping up, but you can always make your own. The world gen ones aren't too impressive, at least not as much as the dragon age ones.(Though I fully expect the roles to be reversed after a lot more versions of DF)

I've played a bit of dragon age, makes me wonder if the designer of Orzammar played dwarf fortress, it seems to have it all, magma, deep pits, annoying nobles, more magma, shitty housing for the poor(Economy anyone?), regular arena combat and a large and elaborate entrance with statues in it.

It would not surprise me at all if they had a magma trap in there, and after playing around a bit I felt like trying to make the place in DF. I never actually started making it, and just had it put in my list of potential megaprojects.

Eh, all fantasy works with dwarves (including DF) borrow very heavily from Tolkien. Obviously similarities are going to be common, you'll also see parallels within the forgotten realms, everquest, Dungeons and Dragons, ect. too.