Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: More civilizations  (Read 1504 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More civilizations
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:21:00 am »

Guys I was always wondering, that why is there only a few civs in DF. Right now we have dwarves, goblins, humans and elves.
I think we definitely need more races. yes we can make mods and add new civs, however those will replace an existing civilization. [afaik] I think the number of civs must expand, or at least allow the modders to add new civs without replace an existing civilization. 1 evil race [goblins] just wont be enough, especially after the military arc will be completed. I would like to see at least 8 civs in my games.   :)

[ March 24, 2008: Message edited by: gimli ]

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: More civilizations
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 10:25:00 am »

I think I read somewhere that more civs = slower world gen and thats certainly the last thing I want right now.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:30:00 am »

If you just tone down the populations, it really isn't that bad gen-wise.  However, you won't be that likely to get all eight of them on the same map, because of the way worldgen works nowadays.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>If you just tone down the populations, it really isn't that bad gen-wise.  However, you won't be that likely to get all eight of them on the same map, because of the way worldgen works nowadays.</STRONG>

Yes but still there would be the possibility, also with the army arc we will be able to expand our "realm" thus making contact with more civs, and not just with the existing few.
As for world gen, I dont care about the speed really, since the gameplay is what matters, and having new civs would be awesome gameplay wise.
We have 3 good/neutral civs now and 1 evil...this is nothing close to enough in my book.

[ March 24, 2008: Message edited by: gimli ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »

The other thing you can do to speed up world gen is to pick a smaller world.  Standard is 257x257, you could do the next size down (medium?) at 129x129 and still have plenty of room for everyone, yet using a map with 1/4 the area.

Pollux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »

Minor Nitpick: Technically, we have two evil civilizations (goblins and kobolds).

:D

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »

Kobolds are not Evil. They are a nuisance, even to goblins.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »

You can mod in civs as you please, I thought.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 04:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>You can mod in civs as you please, I thought.</STRONG>

Correct, but if you mod a new one in, it will replace an existing civilization, that is the problem.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »

It will?

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by apache1990:
<STRONG>It will?</STRONG>

Yes that is what I heard at least a couple of times....Ive never tried modding yet...so any experienced modder can confirm it?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

I've added in quite a few civs, so I think I can safely talk about this.  ;)

What people mean by "replace" a civ is that you can only have a few civs active near a fortress. You get the Dwarves that you're from, a friendly spring civ, a friendly summer civ, an evil civ, and a nuisance civ. You might be able to have a friendly winter civ...haven't tried that yet, although it's on my list of things to do.

What this means is that while your world can have tons of civs on it, you'll only see a few of them per fortress. I did discover, though, that reclaiming a fortress that's near several different civs can cause it to change which ones are active. So the evil race that wiped out my fortress didn't come back for second, I just got goblins.

Still, even adding in races adds some nice variety to the game. I'm all for different official civs! Especially since they could have a lot more flavor then the limited changes we can make now.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mephansteras:
<STRONG>I've added in quite a few civs, so I think I can safely talk about this.   ;)

What people mean by "replace" a civ is that you can only have a few civs active near a fortress. You get the Dwarves that you're from, a friendly spring civ, a friendly summer civ, an evil civ, and a nuisance civ. You might be able to have a friendly winter civ...haven't tried that yet, although it's on my list of things to do.

What this means is that while your world can have tons of civs on it, you'll only see a few of them per fortress. I did discover, though, that reclaiming a fortress that's near several different civs can cause it to change which ones are active. So the evil race that wiped out my fortress didn't come back for second, I just got goblins.

Still, even adding in races adds some nice variety to the game. I'm all for different official civs! Especially since they could have a lot more flavor then the limited changes we can make now.</STRONG>

Allright so basically..lets say we mod in 4 new civs...theorically after the military ARC will be fully functional, and we can expand the borders of our "kingdom", we can make contact with more civs later on? Um I think only Toady would know the answer to this question.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 12:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Pollux:
<STRONG>Minor Nitpick: Technically, we have two evil civilizations (goblins and kobolds).</STRONG>
Meta-nitpick: Technically, kobolds are not a civilization.  They are a barbarian entity.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 07:13:00 am »

Ok either way let me fix up the current problem: even if you can mod in new civs, the player can have contact with max 3. civs at the same time. So my suggestion is: let the player have contact with at least 8 different [modded in as it is now] civs in the same time.
Pages: [1] 2