Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19

Author Topic: My Youtube let's play of Adventure Mode  (Read 25254 times)

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
Re: My Youtube let's play of Adventure Mode
« Reply #255 on: February 19, 2010, 03:15:59 pm »

I have managed to cobble together some Adventure Mode videos of my own.  While I'm quite disappointed in my failure to produce witty remarks the way Jef does, I did put just enough time into them to not want them to go unseen.  In the first three videos I demonstrate using fire to burn a town leader out of his stuff (that I want) without angering the civ.

It's all here

http://www.youtube.com/user/AdvancedBen2E

woot!
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #256 on: February 19, 2010, 04:23:58 pm »

Cool, I put up an announcement to help spread the word.  Let me know if you need any tips (about recording and encoding, not playing, you seem to have a good handle on that, heh) or anything else.  Cheers!
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 19, 2010, 04:49:52 pm »

Thanks!  You've actually been secretly helping all along, with your helpful demonstration of what software you use.  On my end, in terms of recording and encoding, it's been a string of continual failures over the course of three days. :)  Fraps and my sound software not wanting to acknowlege my usb microphone, my poor ole xp system being stupid, me being stupid.

I am proud of one innovation.  I have the microphone from Rock Band 2 plugged in, and carefully balanced inside a mason jar that has a sock lining the interior.

What I wound up finally doing was using hypercam, since it likes my USB microphone, and then after several failed attempts to compress and still have video quality that'd actually allow someone to read the text, on a lark I just sent the file right from the hypercam recording, and it worked.

Now of course for the fourth video, I foolishly went over time, and have had consistent upload failures for the video that I cut down to under 11 mins.  But that'll have to wait for my patience and willingness to continue experimenting to return.

It's good thing that I've already learned that losing is fun.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 19, 2010, 06:42:11 pm »

Just watching the adventure mode lets plays from Advancedben, and I'd just like to mention your voice was very soft/low volume, I had to turn my sound up to hear it clearly.

Two things about the content, firstly, starting by burning people to death for their socks is a very dwarven thing to do.
Secondly, you could have saved yourself all that trouble by asking around for a giant to kill, and taking all the rings and things laying around it's cave. The earrings and idols should buy you the same or better gear from stores, with less problems. On the other hand, it doesn't include fire, and is more like something a kobold would do.

Minor technicality, the link copypasted from the anouncement didn't work("Username not found"), but the link on the forum here did.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Bird2234

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 19, 2010, 06:50:26 pm »

Wow. You're a great narrator.
I'm glad somebody finally did an LP of adventure mode. It deserved it.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #260 on: February 19, 2010, 07:04:22 pm »

Minor technicality, the link copypasted from the anouncement didn't work("Username not found"), but the link on the forum here did.

Crap, I'll fix it in the next one or add a sidebar for links to the other Lpers from b12.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #261 on: February 19, 2010, 07:41:22 pm »

I swear I think YouTube purposefully does link obstruction.

When I paste it in, it changes it to http://www.youtube.com/user/AdvancedBen2%C2%ADE

Ugh.  I'm gonna put links to all the B12ers LP channels in my sidebar, if I haven't added you and you would like to be added, drop a post here or send me a message. 

So far I know of PlumpHelmetPunk, AdvanceBen2E, kalderan and alehkhs when they get their videos uploaded.  I know 166192 has done some DF videos but he doesn't seem to be doing an LP or a series or anything so I'll hold off on that one. 

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 19, 2010, 11:44:11 pm »

Just watching the adventure mode lets plays from Advancedben, and I'd just like to mention your voice was very soft/low volume, I had to turn my sound up to hear it clearly.

Two things about the content, firstly, starting by burning people to death for their socks is a very dwarven thing to do.
Secondly, you could have saved yourself all that trouble by asking around for a giant to kill, and taking all the rings and things laying around it's cave. The earrings and idols should buy you the same or better gear from stores, with less problems. On the other hand, it doesn't include fire, and is more like something a kobold would do.

Thanks for watching and commenting!  I'll definitely work towards improving the sound situation somehow.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #263 on: February 23, 2010, 09:26:38 pm »

Just a note to the mods, this thread should probably be moved as well.  I'll add a note to it in the first post so they don't have to read all 18 pages.

It's largely become a general LP thread with lots of posts pertaining to other LP's much like A Dwarven Smokeologists thread which was recently moved.

If I could move it myself I would but ... I don't think I can D=
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:33:37 pm by valcon »

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 24, 2010, 01:33:37 pm »

Your version for the dwarf fort lp is your choice entirely, one of the dxx series could make it go faster though, if you feel it's going too slow.

Besides that, I'm not commenting as much since you inspired me to play some LCS, and I reinstalled mount and blade.

Speaking of which, as a challenge for M&B, win an arena meelee fight without picking up new weapons and making at least 20 kills. getting the bow at start would be lame so the no picking up stuff doesn't apply there, instead, the challenge simply changes to defeating 10 people with just the bow(and arrows).

edit: and if you can get farmers from bandits or deserters or something, always take them, they turn into fully armoured knights at their highest upgrade. Peasant women have the same, they start weak but turn into fully armoured knights and I think they also have some basic medical skills.

More advice: Rhodoks make very good crossbowmen and are best at outlasting the purple(Khergits) people as spearmen, they have huge shields to block all the arrows.(Use these on top of a hill to completely annihilate any horsemen)
Swadians make good knights, veagirs are great rapid-fire archers, nords have the best meelee infantry, and khergits have horse archers, nearly unbeatable in the open, but really suck badly in sieges.

Edit for my top 3, which is really just a shared first place between these 3.
Dwarf fortress
Mount and Blade
Team fortress 2
I cant really decide on which goes where in the top 3, so I'll leave it at that.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:03:23 pm by XSI »
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 25, 2010, 06:47:38 pm »

After thinking about it i worked out that my top 3 games are not the games i play the most.  Its weird, hmm.

This requires deep thought on why i am not playing them much, hmmmmm.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 26, 2010, 12:15:32 pm »

Another post from me, this time about Let's Play Dwarf Fortress - 12

You didn't run out of stockpiles for weapons/armour, you ran out of bins, bins effectively increase stockpile sizes by tenfold(Or more). Think of bins as large storage crates, which is a big difference compared to the dwarves just chucking everything on a pile.
And those food barrels have a {} around them I think(Not sure on the video, might be (), youtube isnt the clearest and those marks look alike), which means they're forbidden and wont be moved, otherwise, dwarves are just lazy.

And also, you requested bauxite -Blocks-, you need the raw bauxite, the blocks are useless for making floodgates and mechanisms, and you can use iron for other magma safe things, and even glass for pumps.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:20:38 pm by XSI »

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2010, 02:27:10 pm »

Yeah I screwed up on the blocks bit ...

As for the bin situation, I didn't mention it, but as I did the stockpile thing I had my legendary carpenter cranking out bins on repeat, so that'll be remedied soon, I just did the stockpiles as a stopgap so nothing would be left up top that we could use in the event of a secondary siege. 

Also, those barrels are most definitely not forbidden ... still have no idea why they won't move them.  Ah well.  Thanks for the help though, as usual, XSI.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2010, 02:44:00 pm »

About the barrel thing: Forbidding and reclaiming (or dump-designate and undump, I'm not sure) them works most of the time, unless they're not accessible. Are you sure there are no forbidden doors in the way?

Also, I'm the hammerer in spe, Nixitur. Just wanted to put that out there. :D

Edit: Just found this in the comments:
Quote from: gilbertgbert
Just a thought, but you haven't accidentally hit ignore food ('o' then 'f') have you? Easy to do when you're constantly forbidding/permitting dwarves to go outside.
I never even paid attention to this order. Heck, I didn't even know it existed! But it makes sense. There's a smart dorf!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:26:16 pm by MC Dirty »

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2010, 01:16:48 pm »

Another post from me.

You can sell millstones if you have too many of them by using the search function on the trade depot's move goods screen. They won't show up otherwise.

I'd like to also mention it might be a good idea to gather all aboveground furniture in human houses and bring it underground, that way you won't have injured dwarves laying out in a house during a siege.(Which may save lives)
If you need some extra wood you can deconstruct the human houses too.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19