Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: My Youtube let's play of Adventure Mode  (Read 25299 times)

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: My Youtube let's play of Adventure Mode
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2010, 11:20:27 pm »

Both my CTRL and R buttons are dying on me because of refreshing your youtube channel for new uploads. Seriously.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 29, 2010, 12:31:33 am »

Both my CTRL and R buttons are dying on me because of refreshing your youtube channel for new uploads. Seriously.

tip:f5
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 29, 2010, 12:34:06 am »

Orly. Well, now there's two buttons to wear off.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #153 on: January 29, 2010, 01:07:01 am »

Okay whoa settle down for tonight, I've done 5 today, more tomorrow =X

If you're looking for something else I've done, you can always pop into the community fortresses and check out the Pirates of the Fondled Waters, a text/image community fortress, basically a let's play, where I got a lot of my ideas for the current stuff!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19237
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #154 on: January 29, 2010, 03:29:54 am »

Oh, sweet. You did the Bellsmaw? That was pretty epic.

I was actually sorta inspired by that to work on my project: Bloodfist.

I was thinking once I finish building it, I'm going to run it as a community fort as a way of "delivering the ship home", of course, the ones bringing it home would decide to joyride it a bit before it's used for other purposes and such.

I got a good share of ideas that ought to bring about some comedy into it. Plus, I can always have adventurer serve as either a scout/hunter of the ship, or someone persistently chasing it down or something. I dunno. I'm still trying to come up with more ideas to add to the epic of it.

I also had plans to covert it into a succession fort after the community fort part finishes, and a different team (or air force navy) takes control over it (and thus, lent over to other players).

Oh, now that I think of it. Have you ever decided to Visfort or Stonesense Bellsmaw? You'll actually see it as made of wood this time. Provided you still have the saves of course.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 29, 2010, 04:49:25 pm »

Probably a little offtopic(As it's not DF related), but for the guild 2, a few handy things to know.

* Right clicking on the text at the bottom of the screen skips it, this way you don't have to fast forward through office meetings and can instead skip the parts you have no say in.
* For politics, only the highest leader(Mayor, sovereign) and the two office holders directly above the one you apply for have a vote in the application.(There are special cases when a town grows to the imperial level)
* The red prices on goods are the prices you can buy the goods for, the green ones is what you can sell it for.(This one took me until just yesterday to find out)
* You can buy extra carts with a button under the carts list(At a location). It's surprisingly cheap.
* You can buy armour and weapons at the market, and you can equip your characters, spies, and anything you own or employ with it. You can also buy things like stink bombs and use those on other buildings(Only with a character, not a spy) Armour is cheap and may make a big difference whether or not you survive an attack.(Or a sword, if you rather kill them before they kill you)
* If you're sending a spy on a suicide mission, you can first take his dagger from him at your house, if he's going to die anyway then why send a perfectly good dagger with him?
* Giving a woman soap will most likely have her slap you. Do not use soap as gift when you want to impress someone.
* There are books on the market, "About talents". Using one gives temporary skill bonusses to rhetoric, useful when you really want to succeed in a hard trial or meeting.
* If you get attacked, there's a button bottom left(Near your actions) for calling the guards, any nearby guards will respond.
* If you want to know about what your office's privileges actually do, right click the ability or status effect.(Things like the lease master's administrative mite are a status effect, top left of the screen near your character)
* If you don't have time to sleep off an injury, you can pay for a hospital visit.(At least in the pirates expansion, not sure on the original)

I am enjoying all your let's plays, and would subscribe if I had a youtube account. As it is now, I just bookmark the latest one and add one to the number every day to check :)

Oh, and as last point, this is just a little thing I found out with my own experience. You can make 2 children each day/season(More if you're not going to the meetings or work), and even if you have 17 kids grown up and 6 more at school, you can only control a total of 3 characters.

Edit: I also believe that in LCS, juice determines the skill softcap, and negative juice gives a penalty to heart, int, and everything. I also heard volunteering gives juice, so it might be an idea to have new recruits volunteer a bit to raise that cap and remove negative juice.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:19:30 pm by XSI »
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Chucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2010, 08:09:35 pm »

I'd just like to add that I've loved these videos and have devoted a significant portion of my -entire life- to watching them ;P

Anyone who is able to take a "developmentally-challenged" portion of a game and turn it into 12 hours of interesting adventure is to be commended (your words) so, yeah, you rock. Also, I even watched your guild 2 vids and they were awesome, even if you sometimes move around a little too fast to take in the details. I only wish I could afford a pc capable of trying it out (even though I think my interest in a medieval dogshit simulator is about nil.)

edit: actually, I'd go as far as suggesting that you show these links to developers and let them see how you could widen the impact of their game to the uneducated masses. You could seriously make a career of bigging people's games up. I'd bet £100 that the uptake of adventure mode has gone up 1000% since these vids, among people that would never have considered it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:23:36 pm by Chucker »

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2010, 09:10:23 pm »

I'd just like to add that I've loved these videos and have devoted a significant portion of my -entire life- to watching them ;P

Anyone who is able to take a "developmentally-challenged" portion of a game and turn it into 12 hours of interesting adventure is to be commended (your words) so, yeah, you rock. Also, I even watched your guild 2 vids and they were awesome, even if you sometimes move around a little too fast to take in the details. I only wish I could afford a pc capable of trying it out (even though I think my interest in a medieval dogshit simulator is about nil.)

edit: actually, I'd go as far as suggesting that you show these links to developers and let them see how you could widen the impact of their game to the uneducated masses. You could seriously make a career of bigging people's games up. I'd bet £100 that the uptake of adventure mode has gone up 1000% since these vids, among people that would never have considered it.

Wow, that's ... quite a big praise.  Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.  It means a lot to to know that these are appreciated and enjoyed, but, I can't exactly say I haven't been having fun doing them!

I don't mean to try and negate your kind words, but I do believe at least 99% of the credit goes to Toady One and the amazing amount of work and love and life he's put into giving Dwarf Fortress all that he has. 

I'd be thrilled to see more people playing adventure mode, for any reason, as I've always felt it was one of the gaming worlds best kept secret gems, and, beyond that, has the most incredible amount of potential for what is yet to come.  I do think, though, that there are a billion good reasons to play adventure mode, so I'd be honored to just be one amongst the billions =)

In fact, I'd like to have my spot amongst the reasons to play adventure mode RIGHT next to the spot for "You can strangle a sasquatch to death with your own underwear."

Also, XSI, just wanted to thank you for taking the time to give me those tips, they are always appreciated!

Chucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2010, 09:30:18 pm »

You have a real way with words and have a wicked (in the old sense) personality so why not? Enough with your self deprecating bullshit and get together with a dev or two and get them on board. I'd bet that "pro"-testing of games on YT channels are the new marketing. 

edit:\/\/ I said stop it and repeat that I'd bet that "pro"-testing of games on YT channels is the new marketing. Also, please note that you have to get out there. they ain't coming to you. :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:50:45 pm by Chucker »

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2010, 09:39:06 pm »

Okay, I admit it, I'm awesome.  So yeah, if anybody would like to pay me to do this, the line starts HERE!

*crickets*

Right, back to some more recording =)

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 31, 2010, 12:38:10 am »

Dude, if I was a dev, I'd seriously pay you to review my games.  Your Let's Plays are the most absorbing I have ever come across.

I have watched every single one of your LP videos so far, some of them more than once.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:41:50 am by calrogman »

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2010, 12:55:56 pm »

Really enjoyed the Adventure Mode play throughs. I actually liked Liberal Crime Squad even better so I've started to play it because it looked so fun in your vids. :) Besides being entertaining they are good tutorials for learning highly unintuitive games.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2010, 05:21:49 pm »

For guild 2 I'd suggest a Sovereign mod (requires Back to the Roots mod). It's an AWESOME addition :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2010, 06:06:59 am »

I hope those tips I gave were useful, and in contrast to Chucker, I've found you to move a little slowly when playing the guild 2, but I already learned something from watching(Automatic production/selling), that will help a lot if use it for my save with some 10 workspaces. (I stopped playing that because I was too busy managing everything to do politics, courting, let alone attacking)

And for quick reverence, the costs for buying a new rank, with each rank giving new priviledges(Noble and up get a bonus in politics, landgraves get lower punishments in court) It's really worth getting new ranks.

Citizen 500
Patrician 2.500
Noble(wo)man 10.000
Landgrave 25.000
Baron(ett) 100.000

Do you have any plans for other let's plays? I'd probably watch paint dry if you narrated it/commented it.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2010, 08:30:22 am »

I think that grand prince (or is it grand duke) for 1000000 is a bit too much, quite hard to achieve :).

Also you rob people after you knock them unconscious.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19