Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Paypal scared me (not anymore)  (Read 2442 times)

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Paypal scared me (not anymore)
« on: December 28, 2009, 10:51:17 am »

[Edit: Having discovered that they don't require any account information (just credit card) dispelled my fears, thus prompting my donation.]

Paypal scares me. I'd rather not give them my account information (maybe I should click the button and see what info they require. I'll do that at home).

Anyway. Why aren't there any other donation options? Taking into account I'm not even buying something (thus the lowered risk), why are options like direct money transfer, not suggested?

[Edit: And while am at it, does anyone know what does it take, and how much it costs, to put a game in Steam?]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:17:59 pm by Thanshin »

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
Re: Paypal scares me
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 11:02:46 am »

Mail it to him, whether it's a check or cash.

Also there's absolutely no reason to distrust PayPal. It's a highly secure company that has been around for over a decade. I believe you can link with a credit card as well as a bank account.

Finally, I have no idea what you mean about your Steam question. Are you trying to buy a game through Steam, or "link" a non-Steam game to the client itself? If it's the former, then you simply buy it with the Steam store. If it's the latter, then you click "Add non-Steam product" on your game list and find the exe of the game you want to add. I assume that would be DF? It's obviously free to do that.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:04:43 am »

Huh, what exactly is your problem with Paypal ? Because if you're scared about privacy and security, I can guarantee your payement is more secured via paypal than via many "old" systems (i.e cheque or card).
Also, it was invented to make things like donations easier. Creating a custom tool to make direct money transfers will probably be way more difficult and insecure (and tedious).

[Edit: And while am at it, does anyone know what does it take, and how much it costs, to put a game in Steam?]

I suppose you mean buying one ? Well, depends of the game, of course. And on Steam you can pay with paypal or with half a dozen of other systems (namely Visa, Mastecard or American Express)

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:11:51 am »

My problem with paypal is that years ago I had a serious problem with them that ended with me permanently emptying and closing an account as the only way of being sure no more money would ever disappear from it.

My question about steam was actually: "If bay12games ever decided to sell DF through Steam, how much of the revenue would be lost in each transaction? (or other possible draconian conditions)".

Where I live we don't use checks and snail-mailing cash is illegal (also, I do not have much cash in dollars).

I'd just want to know what's the problem with direct bank to bank money transfers.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 11:22:40 am »

I think there are a lot of legal hoops one has to jump through in order do direct bank to bank money transfers, not to mention privacy and security concerns. Indeed, that's why services such as PayPal exist.

Anywho, no matter, you may want to directly contact Toady to see if he has any other ideas.

As for Steam, I dunno, I think they take a flat % off your the price you're selling for, which is why it's possible to sell games super cheap while still making a profit. Killing Floor DLC, for example, is sold through Steam for $2 each.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 11:25:23 am »

My problem with paypal is that years ago I had a serious problem with them that ended with me permanently emptying and closing an account as the only way of being sure no more money would ever disappear from it.
If this is legit, it's a very rare problem. If you'll be more specific, though, we might be able to tell you how to avoid it.
My question about steam was actually: "If bay12games ever decided to sell DF through Steam, how much of the revenue would be lost in each transaction? (or other possible draconian conditions)".
I'm sure it would be small, though frankly I think it's unlikely that DF would ever be on Steam.
Where I live we don't use checks and snail-mailing cash is illegal (also, I do not have much cash in dollars).
Um... yeah, that means Paypal's your best bet, even more so than usual.
I'd just want to know what's the problem with direct bank to bank money transfers.
Well, the biggest one is that it's horrendously insecure. If you're worried about Paypal, you shouldn't touch a bank transfer with a ten foot pole. Other than that, it's often taxable, and it can take a considerable amount of time.

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 11:37:30 am »

Ok, I'll take the safe route. I'll check if paypal has grown to simply asking me for the information relevant to a payment and notify my bank that I will accept one, and only one  charge from paypal and if I see a second one, I close my account.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 12:03:13 pm »

Hmm... are you sure these "unwanted charges" wasn't just the verification mechanism ? It withdraw you 0.xx € (or $, or etc.) to check if your account is real.

vturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 12:13:26 pm »

I'm a bit wary of Paypal myself, but you do not have to give them any bank account information unless you are receiving money.  I use it only to give money to internet friends and occasional e-bay purchases.  They have my Credit Card information, but have no information at all on my bank. 

If I ever need to receive money from them I should be able to create a temporary account at my bank and close it once I no longer need it.

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 12:18:27 pm »

If I ever need to receive money from them I should be able to create a temporary account at my bank and close it once I no longer need it.

Exactly.

I didn't know about the "not having to fill in any account information to make payments. Now that I know, I've got no problem with using it.

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 12:21:18 pm »

If dwarf fortress is ever sold through steam... it will be a very bad day.

Not because dwarf fortress costs money...

but because steam is the devil incarnate.
Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.

FrostGiantsDaughter

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 12:39:57 pm »

You guys can send a check or money in teh mail. His address is down at the bottom http://www.bay12games.com/support.html

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 01:05:25 pm »

You guys can send a check or money in teh mail. His address is down at the bottom http://www.bay12games.com/support.html

As I said, in some countries it's illegal to mail cash and we no longer use checks.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 01:08:56 pm »

Thanshin, if you don't change the thread title, people will probably still come in here and reply directly to the title instead of reading your edited OP.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 01:12:41 pm »

For future reference, you can buy a prepaid credit card with a set amount and use that via paypal also.

So even if you have a keylogger or something you won't lose anything more than a few dollars.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.
Pages: [1] 2