Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: modding civ creatures ?  (Read 591 times)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
modding civ creatures ?
« on: December 28, 2009, 05:58:23 am »

Hi guys ...

Fist ... I'm french, and my english is clearly not perfect ... s'cuse me ..

I'm curently using "rentless assault" (getting 3-4 sieges per year since first one, plus ambushes ...), and i'd like to adjust some things of the game experience to fit better to what i want ...
So, all the modifications are to be made without having to get another fortress ... if possible ...

1) Question perhaps needed for further modding : how to know in which biome I am ?
I have only snailmen and slugmen as wildlife, and the water never freeze or evaporate from murky pools ...
I think I'm in a swamp, due to this wildlife, having lots of pools, ...
Back-up save, abandon then reclaim to see in the embark screen the biome ?

2) Is it possible to make some civ creatures (as goblins) butcherable, and letting leather ?
I mean ... why couldn't I be able to wear Lizardmen skins, and eat elves ?

3) Is it possible to add war animals to a civ (even if they are not war-trained or hunting-trained) ?
I would like to see the Lizardmen attacking me with crocodiles, for exemple ...

4) Is it possible de add mounts to a civ ?
same as before, why couldn't they attack mounting Giant rats... or even a GCS for the leader (making it mountable but rare ... no ?) ?

5) Is it possible de change a local leader (with a third-party software like Dwarf Companion) ?
Dragons and demons leading hordes of siegers ... would like it ....

6) Is it possible to modify creatures so that they can spawn in my biome (I mean, as before, without making a new fortress...) ?

Help me making my game awesome, please !
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:00:35 am by tompliss »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: modding civ creatures ?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 10:55:49 am »

1) Generally you tell in the embark screen.  The biome of the area currently selected appears on the top of one of the side windows, if it's not there press tab until it shows up.  As for determining your biome post embark it takes a little detective work.  If you have a large number of murky pools it is probably a swamp but weather it's tropical or temperate is a bit harder to determine.  That the map doesn't freeze helps, but it could still be a warm temperate.  If the change of season announcement sometimes also says something like "the wet/dry season has come" you are in the tropics, otherwise you are probably in a temperate area.

2) Never tried it myself, I would guess changing the dwarves [eat_sapient_...] tags in entity_default to acceptable might be enough, but it might not be, and it could be hard coded at any rate.

3) Yes, the animal has to be native to a biome the civ has access to if you also want it to be available at embark but just adding the [trAINABLE] Tag.  It will require a regen, since they know what creatures they have access to from worldgen as well. But it should allow the creature to be trained if you can manage to tame a wild one regardless.  For invaders, they need to have it available to their civ and they usually won't bring them for the first few attacks.  I have only seen this work back in 2D however.  I think there may be something wrong with the invaders bringing pets with the current versions, I haven't seen any in a year of playing.

4) Yes the above applies, with the exception of it not working on the race you are playing, there is no way to tell yer guys to mount up.  Make sure they have the mount tag and the invaders have access to their biome.  Flying mounts are shaky, sometimes working, sometimes causing the pathfinding bug.  Also it will require a regen, since they know what creatures they have access to from worldgen.

5) Try it.  It sort of works in adventure mode.  But the creature's size usually isn't changed and they don't grow any new bodyparts they should have as the new creature until save and reload.  They will get special abilities like firebreath, poison and web though.  And yes, companion is probably the best tool for this.

6) In theory yes, in actuality no.  Wildlife populations are saved at worldgen.  If they didn't live there when worldgen ended they won't live there after a mod.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:57:55 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 05:05:43 am »

ok, thanks ...

Found the biome, but wasn't that important, since I made changes and regen ...

for 3 (siegers coming with pets), there are many animals with [PET] so ... I don't think they bring them with them ...
Even after checking, many civs (even in Rentless Assault), have Animal Cartaker and Animal Trainer in their job enabled, so it's not because of that either ... :(

Will come back to say if the "[eat_sapient_... = ACCEPTABLE]" works,
so if you have any solutions for the PET  problem, ... say it ;)

Ankheg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chasing the Sunset
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:10:16 am »

For eating elves, you may want to add in [BUTCHERABLE] in their creature entries.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 06:45:39 am »

Try adding this to the entity file. Requires regen though:

[USE_ANY_PET_RACE]
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 07:40:21 am »

Added both,
Regen-ing ....

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 10:24:29 am »

I was thinking along the lines of Trolls back in 2D.  I assumed they were listed as pets but I don't remember and don't have the old 2D version raws easily handy.

Oh and I should also mention that creatures that have tags like [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] In my experience only seem to use mounts that are [EVIL].
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
NEWS !!!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 04:12:22 pm »

I've got news, and good ones :

The [PET] trick works, look this horse :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hey hey, can't wait for next sieges (Lizardmen can live with Alligators, and next ones are Evil ones... with Evil pets ...), beter pets, and maybe great mounts ... ^^