Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blood for the Blood God!!!  (Read 644 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Blood for the Blood God!!!
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:17:00 am »

Nah not that blood god, the other one Armok

Ok so the idea: we can select one of three religous settings:
1. Your fort worships whichever god is most common, priests for this god (ill elaborate later) provide significant happy thoughts to anyone who worsjips the same god that they meet
2. Your fort is a haven for all gods and all people priest provide a small happy thought to everyone they encounter
3. Your fort worships Armok priests revel in the pain of other providing everyone they meet with minor small thoughts. However you high priest can forge a new metal which slightly more effective than steel, your priests train in combat and will fight.

Ok so about priests religion will only begin once your fort becomes large enough  (say 50 dwarves) at which point the high priest arrives he is a noble but will only require a basic bedroom dinning room and tomb he will also require a statue as furniture but nothing else. If the god worshipped by the majority changes (for option one) or you switch to or from worship of armok the old high priest becomes a normal dwarves and your dwarves elect a new one of appropriate religion. no dwarf will willingly worship armok so a new high priest of armok will always just appear when needed and leave again if he is disposed.

Priests are required to keep your high priest happy you would need 1 per 10 dwarves you will also need to build a temple (designated from an altar or a statue) which needs to be say 10 squares per priest. occasionally your high priest will mandate items to be made, these will not only need to be made but your priests will also then take them to the temple, there is no bad side to not completeing these mandates but as soon as they can the priests will seize these items. Priests of armok however will never mandate items, simply bodies you can then select who is killed wther its a tame or captured animal a goblin prisoner or a dwarf however if you dont select someone quick enough they will grab the nearest living thing regardless. They will then keep the body in their temple where the miasma will give them a happy thought.

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood for the Blood God!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

May I also suggest skulls for the skullthrone?
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »

As I recall, Armok doesn't actually 'exist' in-game, it's just a cool title.

There's typically evilish deities in the game already that could be worshipped.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »

Maybe the player is the Armok.
Dwarves are in a way our slaves.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:23:00 pm »

Like Capntastic said, Armok doesn't exist. All the gods are randomized, and dwarves specifically worship a pantheon rather than one single god per civilization.

I don't like the idea of priests doling out happy/unhappy thoughts to everyone they meet, either. Just seeing a priest isn't important enough to warrant a thought, unless they're actually talking to each other. Even then, the thoughts should be minor unless the person is intolerant, and the big thoughts come from attending religious ceremonies and whatnot.

Finally, I don't like the idea of balancing out unpopular religions by giving out arbitrary bonuses. Rather, oppressive civs should have alternative means of dealing with the unrest that would inevitably crop up.

[ March 24, 2008: Message edited by: Cosmonot ]

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.