Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 48132 times)

Diarrhea Ferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: Of Knights and Days. [community]
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2010, 02:36:21 pm »

Personally im looking forward 2 seeing the moat filled with magma.
 ;D
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.
YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 16, 2010, 04:40:41 pm »

Okay, update might not be coming until maybe tomorrow. Huge influx of migrants, and getting down their names, jobs, and personalities for easy reference always takes a while. Basically all of them have become building masons/carpenters, so construction will hopefully speed up some. Meanwhiles I got work ta do.

Personally im looking forward 2 seeing the moat filled with magma.

Actually, the outer moat's gonna be full with the more traditional water. The inner moat around the keep, though... that's gonna be magtastic :D

Seriously. That shows commitment.

Heh, if you'd like to think that, by all means. On my end it's more embarrassing... it was like three or four in the morning and I'd just gotten back from a night out. Actually, better I had passed out than kept playing, because my non-sober decisions on how to run the fort could've been... 'interesting.' :|

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2010, 11:11:12 pm »

The thought of a drunken human running a dwarven fortress is a more horrible idea than watching a sober dwarf do it.

"I think I'll put that RIGHT there." *puts all military champions in a pit outside*
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2010, 12:58:50 am »

You should make the moat constantly flow in two directions and have two main bridges on opposite sides of your fortress. The water drains under one into an underwater canal that leads to under the other bridge, which is then pumped up and towards the other bridge in both directions. All for eye candy, of course! And the perpetual motion machine....

Code: [Select]
Flow:
P=Pumps under bridge
D=Drain under bridge
╔═══════╗
║←←←P→→→║
║↓╔═══╗↓║
║↓║☺☺ ║↓║
║↓║☺ ☺║↓║
║↓║ ☺ ║↓║
║↓╚═══╝↓║
║→→→D←←←║
╚═══════╝

Although I don't have a lot of experience with water pressure. The pumps should create a flow to the drainage bridge, though.

Or you could make a single loop, but that's just boring.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:00:21 am by Eztuzt »
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2010, 09:45:30 pm »

Not many screenies today, but lots ta do.

---

17th Felsite, 15~

Migrants. Again. 21, this time. I’ve no clue why they continue to make the trek here. We have no lodgings for them, and aren’t that concerned with making more. For this reason I’ve ordered everyone without a useful purpose into the military. We don’t need this many dwarves sitting around uslessly.

One dwarf in particular approached me, wearing a rather impressive cloak. “I am Logem Floorslide,” said she. “Show me to the dungeons. I have pressing work to do, and living in this disgusting jungle will not keep me from it.”

I blinked. “…Dungeons?”

“Yes, dungeons. Underground, you know? That sort of thing?”

“…We don’t dig underground.”

She looked around, suspiciously. Through her narrowed eyes she began to take in her surroundings: A large wooden cabin. A short tower littered with animal dung and bits of meat. The walls. The moat. Admittedly, we weren’t yet a true castle, but… hey, we were doing all right.

“Hmph. Fine. You, pilgrim! Show me to my quarters!”

I hastily signalled for the poor peasant she’d pointed at to take her around the long way, and had Ducim the crippled mason whip up a whole bunch of furnishings.

As I made my way back to my office amidst the bustling horde of newcomers, Julius ran into me. The kid had become a pretty impressive mason, though not quite as good as Ducim. “Mister Quinn! Uh, listen, sir, there’s something up there.”

I was a bit confused. “Explain to me ‘something,’ ‘up,’ and ‘there,’ please.”

He paused to recompose himself. I’d guess wherever ‘there’ was, he’d run back from it. “A hole in the mountain, sir!”

I looked up towards the mountain range. Nothing new there. “Seems fine to me,” I said.

“No, sir… In the mountain.” He walked me there, and I saw it – just poking out from between two rocky faces coated with webbing, a large, deep chamber. How deep, I couldn’t say. Deep.

“…Huh.”

“Isn’t it cool, sir?”

“I’m not sure about ‘cool.’ This warrants more investigation, at the least. How’d you stumble across this?”

He blushed a bit, embarrassed. “Well, I know I was supposed to be working, but some of the new guys were talking about this hole they saw, and it sounded really cool, and exciting, and…” He looked away momentarily, then back again with earnest. “If you’re gonna explore it, can I come?”

“No.”

“But—”

“No. I’ll send in… I don’t know, one of the miners, Grath and Randall, and maybe someone… ah, Bodark. He’d love this sort of thing.”

I grinned behind my beard. Bodark was terrified of heights – I’d discovered this after seeing how reluctant he was to build up on the walls, or run any errands along the mountainside. But he also had enough pride to take my ‘casual’ offer as a challenge. He’d do it, all right.

We headed back to continue plotting out the hovels. I went back to the comfort of my office. For once, I held the higher ground against my rival. Or the lower ground, rather. I put my feet up on my desk and took a nap, grinning all the while.

---

Yeah, that bottomless pit’s actually been exposed this whole time. Been going out of my way to keep it hidden from readers, since it was only baaarely visible to the outside and it seemed weird to me that the dwarves would just know it was there.

For reference, the new arrivals (within spoilers). Most are in the military now; didn’t mark who specifically. There was another dwarf named Ingish, so I gave her to TheHunger since his own Ingish died. She's, I dunno, first Ingish's daughter I guess. Weird for a girl to take her dad's first name, but hey. Dwarves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And on top of our champion marksdwarf, five knights, and three squires, there's another 17 useless recruits that will hopefully absorb enemy fire while the real military charges from behind. Wahaha!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: A medieval hell. [community]
« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2010, 09:57:07 pm »

i remember at the start you were kinda terrified of me.

meh.

oh, just in case you forgot:

Needs  two twin towers of wood spiraling around each other by the time the castle is build or will go insane and kill everyone.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2010, 10:21:23 pm »

That gate house is looking pretty cool.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2010, 12:32:38 am »

This is an epic community fortress. It's gonna need an epic downfall as well. I'm gonna bet on a tantrum spiral.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2010, 12:34:23 am »

started by me not having my twin spiraling towers.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2010, 12:35:42 am »

How about an architectual mistake in the towers causes them to collapse on top of the meeting hall, crushing it and all the dwarves in it, causing a tantrum spiral.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2010, 12:37:01 am »

as long as i am the one working on it.

:P

Erling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2010, 10:37:40 am »

I didn't even expect my dwarf would bring so much use for the fortress) What can I say? Epic!)

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2010, 05:41:54 pm »

I'd love to get in on this, if possible. Could I get a Swordsdwarf, if you need any more of those? Just take one of the peasants and train from scratch, if necessary. Actually, if you do grab one of the peasants for it, could I have the guy named Urist Immortalityroad? I think it's a nice name for a soldier. Oh, and his name shall be Pawn. It's not his real name, but it's what he calls himself. You can have some creative leeway into making up a backstory for why that is, if you like, or if you want I can try and come up with something.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2010, 06:55:49 pm »

How's Grath doing? Am I a full blown knight yet?

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2010, 07:02:17 pm »

How's Grath doing? Am I a full blown knight yet?

If I remember correctly, you were the second one to be knighted.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25