Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 48121 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: Of Knights and Days. [community]
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2010, 08:28:49 am »

My earring is not silly ;^; It is the ultimate expression of hope and prosperity. See how the crystal and metal spikes intertwine to truly menace at the viewer, how the stone and gem encircle the rock of the earring itself. See how proudly it displays the hatch cover, which displays the floodgate. Through it, you can see the line it follows.

Truly, this is my work of art!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2010, 12:29:24 pm »

Are you planning on having the hovels scattered around or in uniform rows with small streets outside of them?

By the way, how serious were the bolts we took to the chest?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:36:33 pm by Sulvor »
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2010, 04:28:40 pm »

Are you planning on having the hovels scattered around or in uniform rows with small streets outside of them?

By the way, how serious were the bolts we took to the chest?

I dunno yet. I suppose I might attempt some type of uniformity. Maybe only a vague form of it. Incidentally, it could be interesting to have one person per hovelly househould have farming assigned and each house have a farm, making it even more feudalistic! But that's a spontaneous thought to consider in a few years.

Bolts weren't all to the chest, but I forgot the individual wounds and it seemed to fit. You were in bed for a few weeks, Grath was wounded but still on duty, and Angron took most of the season, but he's gotten better. Kind of a poor unveiling of Mightygrips' might.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2010, 04:49:19 pm »

If you're thinking of doing the farming idea, I'd suggest giving each house a basement for their farm if you want to grow some subterranean food. I think it would be more realistic if each family lived inside of a single house, you could expand it or add a second floor when the family grows.

Edit:

Here's a design I just made with PP.

Ground Floor
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basement
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 11:18:36 pm by Sulvor »
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2010, 05:48:05 pm »

Nalar and Sir Angron are dating now.

Haha. A warrior priest and a worshipper of a dark god. Great couple.

Also how bad are my injuries? Any permanent damage?
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2010, 12:20:12 am »

Now that it is actually Monday...
Happy birthday, Retro!
(Now can you give us an update? :D )

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2010, 05:29:35 am »

Now that it is actually Monday...
Happy birthday, Retro!
(Now can you give us an update? :D )

Sounds good!

Hey, DwarfOfDefeat – you wanted to see your warrior priestess kick some ass…?

---

4th Hematite, 14~

Ingish, one of our new recruits, is dead. I am told it was a sparring accident. More specifically, I am told it was a sparring accident by the swordsdwarf who he had been sparring against – Randall, the arrogant one. Poor Ingish’s throat had been cut, and he had choked on his own blood and suffocated in bed. Randall was not particularily apologetic, muttering that the novice fighter ‘had it coming.’ Sulvor had had his eye on Ingish to be his new squire. The powerful knight was not pleased to hear the news.

We will do our best to investigate, but it seems we may be forced to take Randall’s word on this. Still – I don’t trust her.

---

18th Hematite, 14~

We have marked the summer with blood. For once, that of our enemy’s.

Our encounter with the orcs last year was not without further repercussions. The humans, who had lost their grip on sanity and ran at the orc squadrons, had cost the Submerged Nation quite the profit. They arrived this morning with intent to violently cover their financial losses. It wasn’t really our fault that their merchants went nuts and threw themselves to the orcs, but it wasn’t a subject either side wanted to address.

Everyone was ordered inside, and we had the knights wait at the new gates to meet our guests. However, the humans did not come – instead, they waited atop the mountain, looking down at us. Perhaps they did not expect to see our outpost looking so strong. It was true, though – we had finished the outer walls, and though they were not yet high, the size of our domain was impressive.

I had Sirs Sulvor, Grath, Angron, and Randall (reluctantly knighted as we had nothing with which to prove his guilt) patrol the drawbridge, while Ubik and Sparta walked along our walls. We knew it would be months before the mountainhome caravan came, and with our farms there was no shortage of food to sustain us – and as the humans refused to leave their place on the mountain, there was hardly even reason to be concerned. However, one of the more religious recruits, Nalar, approached me with a proposition.

“Honourable scribe, I have heard the call of Rithol. She has filled me with a great light and given us strength against our enemies. Now is the time to strike, while the gods’ will is with us. Send us out.”

I was a bit puzzled. Though devotion in one’s god varied in intensity, no dwarf ever really gave a thought to holy influence on their day-to-day lives. This Nalar seemed to have some kind of fire behind her eyes – the same fire I’d seen when she had requested a mace be smelted for her with which to channel the power of the gods. I of course had the urge to turn her down, but there was a surprising amount of conviction in her voice. I reluctantly agreed, though Nalar herself was not yet even a knight.

The moment I had given her my answer she had turned and charged out the gate, the knights slightly behind her. This worried me – surely she didn’t intend on charging into battle without waiting on the rest of our forces?

She did. As she outpaced the encumbered knights, the humans noticed her coming and began to form up against her. There were fifteen of them and a horse, against one mediocre macedwarf. The knights were still too far behind to give assistance. The humans dogpiled on her, enveloping her with their entire force. I feared for the worst.

Moments later, it was over.

She had killed all of them without a scratch. Twelve humans, dead, before the knights could arrive – and three more managed to limp away before she could catch up. Sulvor, the first knight on the scene, found nothing waiting for him to kill.

I was about to call them in, both shocked and elated at such an astounding show of strength. It was then I saw that Nalar had not stopped moving. She was heading further along the mountains towards the eagle. The same zombie giant eagle that had haunted our nights since we had arrived three and a half years ago with its hollow cries in the dark.

The eagle rose, flapping its mighty rotten wings, seeing a challenger approaching. It began to fly upwards, hungry for its next meal, or perhaps simply its next battle. Nalar was charging towards it full speed, Sulvor just behind her calling out for her to stop.

Nalar dove off the mountain’s slope, mace swinging, colliding with the decomposing monster mid-air. A pained cry echoed down across the mountain as the creature’s entire left side flew over the rocky face.

The two fell to the ground, the eagle no longer able to stay afloat. With a crash, they hit a boulder, and Nalar was covered by the eagle’s corpse. Sulvor shouted out, trying to get the infectious carcass off of her beforre she suffocated or got sick. He pushed the beast’s body to the side with a mighty push, and saw Nalar… perfectly okay, mace at her side.

“I have Rithol’s strength. Such a beast poses no threat to the might of one who serves a god.” She had won, completely unharmed. She wasn’t even stunned.

The rest of the knights arrived to see the aftermath of the battle: corpses everywhere, including the eagle’s. They slowed, then stopped, and we silent. After a moment, Angron muttered, “That’s my girl.”

The knights returned to the cabin for some mead. Nalar spent the rest of the day running around the mountains slaughtering undead beasts along the mountainside. Nobody questioned her safety.

Maybe there is something to this religious stuff.

(taken before she went and killed like three zombie hoary marmots and some skeletal goats)

---

Yeah. Uh. I accidentally put Nalar into Sulvor’s squad without noticing, and with her speed of Perfectly Agile she arrived before anyone else. And though I didn’t get a screenshot of it (it slipped my mind in the excitement), she was immediately surrounded on all sides (including in her own square) by all 15 human swordsmen and the horse. And she slaughtered them without a scratch. Plus the eagle; literally, she actually dove off the mountain at it—it was airborne, then suddenly they were both a z-level down, she was stunned by the fall, and it was missing its left side from the hip down. Moments later it bled out. I only wish I had fed it some migrants so it would’ve had a name.

Sorry about Ingish, TheHunger - sparring's rough. Feel free to grab another dwarf, though! I've got like 59 now due to insane migration waves.

Also how bad are my injuries? Any permanent damage?

Naaah. Nobody's had brain or spinal damage, which I'm rather nervous about, so all the sparring wounds (and everyone has gotten a few sparring wounds; obsidian swords are damned sharp) heal decently quickly.

If you're thinking of doing the farming idea, I'd suggest giving each house a basement for their farm if you want to grow some subterranean food. I think it would be more realistic if each family lived inside of a single house, you could expand it or add a second floor when the family grows.

No need for underground farming - we is a castledwelling! I'm gonna try and gete each family their own hovel, though, and actually see if I can get rooms for the kids and stuff like that. Once the drymoat's done (in the works) the next step is tearing down the temporary residences and building some permanent housing.

Sorry all if this weekend's updates have been a bit sloppy; as Grath noted, it's my birthday, and I've barely been sober since Friday afternoon. I actually just got back home like an hour ago. Time to go pass out for like a day or two.

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2010, 05:40:32 am »

I want Stonesense screenshots!

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2010, 06:24:28 am »

Just curious, how old is my future champion? Need to know how long until he can start being productive. Also, can I have his current skill sheet if he's acquired anything. I sort of lost track on the fort's age, but I'm guessing he's a few years old?
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2010, 07:16:53 am »

Amazing, utterly amazing! Truly the gods shine on Castle Mightygrips!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Erling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2010, 07:59:50 am »

Notable fighting!)

By the way, Retro. Please, tell me - have you equipped soldiers and knights with waterskins and backpacks? Or you don't think it's a good idea? I'm just curious.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2010, 08:10:14 am »

Just curious, how old is my future champion? Need to know how long until he can start being productive. Also, can I have his current skill sheet if he's acquired anything. I sort of lost track on the fort's age, but I'm guessing he's a few years old?

Uh... he was born in the spring of 13 and it's midsummer 14, so... like, barely over a year. I do about an update a season on average and kind of just conglomerate the entire season's events together, so the in-fort time is rather slow. We're only 3 1/2 years into the fort as-is. Evidently I'm more story-oriented than fort-oriented.

Summary of his skills: Dabbling in all social skills and one or two broker skills. He's only been a child rather than a baby for a season or so, so it makes sense, I guess. It'll be a while before he can grab a sword.

I want Stonesense screenshots!

Due to lack of zoom-out function, there isn't much more to see in Stonesense than there used to be as of the cabin's completion, which was the last time I posted them. I'll toss in a VF shot in the next update, since the scale of the fort is rather expansive at this point, although the walls are still only 1z high right now.

By the way, Retro. Please, tell me - have you equipped soldiers and knights with waterskins and backpacks? Or you don't think it's a good idea? I'm just curious.

Right now I've got knights in plate mail since I don't have much of it, the others in chain mail, and everyone's got a shield. The whole military's got backpacks and carries food, and I did have Irwin make up some waterskins, but the military's been rather depressed (or at the least, not ecstatic, which is ideal) so a while ago I set them back to drinking booze. I figure I can put them back on water when there's another siege. With current defenses and a lack of need to leave said defenses, I can prep as much as I like before I commence a battle. Hopefully the next siege will be an epic showdown in the gardens. ...Hopefully by the next siege the gardens will actually have gardens.

Argh. Long night. Now I'm going to go pass out.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2010, 06:58:39 pm »

The powerful knight was not pleased to hear the news.
http://lemoncat.ytmnd.com/

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2010, 07:00:27 pm »

That puny squire couldnt take all of my awsomeness
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2010, 07:26:03 pm »

I'd like to take a Dwarf, if I could.
Name: Kadzar
Profession: Any
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25