Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 48069 times)

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: A medieval hell. [community]
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2010, 01:12:20 am »

Thanks for inspiring me to make a fortress like this, its turning out amazing! Probably my best so far; our main export is meals and cloth; we have some meals worth more than our artifacts!
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2010, 01:20:49 am »

[edit: Hey, ten pages! I might block off everything up to the survival of the first big orc siege as a 'chapter' and grab a new subtitle to put in the topic that's a little more up-to-date.]

---

24th Obsidian, 13~

The rest of the year passed as a blur.

I’m not sure when our fortune changed—the last I could recall, we were stuck slaving away in a jungle of terror, and the next we were kings of our own castle. Well, castle-in-the-making.

We’ve finally begun laying out our perimeter. The plans:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We’ve designed everything except the main keep itself. I asked Bodark once what he thought it should look like – more like a manor, or a tower? “You figure it out, genius,” he said, walking away. We haven’t yet… reconciled our differences. Fortunately, I’ve garnered just enough respect out of the new migrants to be able to run things, which is all I need, as well as what I’ve come to be accustomed to anyhow.

The imp is ours. Sam saw it emerge from the pipe the other day and bravely tried to lure it towards the traps. For her bravery, she earned a burnt arm – though it’s since recovered, fortunately. Angron and Randall charged after the little monster, angered that it had damaged a civilian, and received bloodied limbs. I’ve never seen an imp so strong; luckily, Angron managed to toss it into the traps before it could do any more damage. We haven’t named the little bastard yet, but we’re wondering if we can incoporate him into our defense system at a point in the future. In the meantime he’s staying in the stables, which Irwin has been giggling happily about. The stablehand hadn’t quite forgiven me for sacrificing his horse foals over the summer – hopefully this would help keep his attention off of me.

With the imp caught, we’ve got full control over the jungle. Our latest horde of migrants, eight adults and a child, have been put to work making the pipe look a bit nicer as well as working on our perimeter. If we can secure ourselves before the orcs arrive next, it’ll be a blessing for us all.

Speaking of the orcs, their stain on the jungle hasn’t yet been cleaned up, but we’ve set up a smelter and have been melting down their old gear. We’ve got enough iron bars to set Jyrvus up at the forges. So far we’ve been trying to get some plate mail ready for our military, as well as a mace for one of the swordsdwarves. Nalar, a devout girl who came in the big migration of the spring, has insisted on carrying a mace to channel the energy of the gods. She’s also been pushing us to make a church in the keep. I’ve taken it into consideration.

As for the military – when Thob was up meeting with Bodark again in the summer, he mentioned that King Zas wanted us to emulate the humans’ castles even more – not just in form, but in culture. Thus we’ve taken our strongest swordsdwarves and knighted them. Sir Sulvor, our strongest dwarf, was the first to receive a title, followed by Sir Grath. Both have declared their eternal devotion to protecting the people of Mightygrips and spent the seasons guarding the jungle while we’ve built the enceinte walls.

Some other news: We’ve another baby in the fort, of the couple Ducim and Datan: little Eral. She’s a bright girl.

We’ve also had two more of these odd constructions – in the mid-autumn, a jeweller named Ezum Weakenarrow made a hatch cover out of two rough clear zircons named Tomescinder. It’s got a picture of our last hatch cover on it. I’m not sure what these covers are all for, but they seem to be quite popular, and it’s worth an impressive 90k dollars.

Sam also tried her hand at carpentry, and produced this strong $4800 wooden table out of three logs – not so impressive, but it’s got a picture of King Zas on it, so I think if he ever comes to visit we’ll serve him some beer on it.

We’re all hoping to have the walls done soon so we can get some permanent housing up. The cabin only continues to get more cramped – though I’ve made it clear that once everyone else is out, I’ll be keeping it for myself. The stables are also likely to stay, though we’ve been rebuilding the stables out of stone. We may redo it entirely, if we get more creatures locked away.

It’s cold out now. Not just in temperature. Sometimes when Sam and Bodark walk by talking, I wonder when the girl for me will come travelling over the mountains. Probably never. My type of girl wouldn’t want to live in an overland hell like this.

I wish the cabin had a fireplace to keep me company. The bedroom is cramped, but I’m still surrounded by strangers.

---

Yeah, not much in the way of story – just a lot of work getting done. I fast-forwarded the whole autumn and winter, so I’ll get down to more story-focused stuff next time. Even if orcs don’t show up, I have an expedition idea in mind…

Also, apparently I had left the imps with size 20 and damblock 30 or something from back when I wanted uberimps for a different fort. Forgot about that. Man, I almost lost a lot of dwarves there. On the bright side, since everyone lived, I have a hulking king fire imp (or rather, fire ogre)!

With the fey mood, secretive mood, and Gutendorf becoming a legendary farmer, the legendary list is as follows:

Hey, Great read, but I have had a thought, Can I please have a copy of the World Gen please??? PM it to me and I will explain there...

Uh, PM your reasoning first, please. Until I post a save, I'd prefer not to detail world gen info.

my dwarf is a warrior priest but he didnt do any blessings (not trying to be complainy) :-\

It's getting difficult to keep track of this many dwarves, as well as make them have unique personalities and characteristics. Character development is slow sometimes. But Nalar got a mention today, and I'm hoping to expand on that at a later time. Incidentally, she's a she.

I'll take Ilral Tombsstaves, you can pick any name you want just so you can find her among the no-names.

Named her Gale; she's in basic wrestling training right now before I give her a sword and let her join ye in ye're quest. Personality info will come with next update, I'mma tired.

Interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing Irwin take up a crossbow. He'd be mightily pissed at all the animal sacrifice and dismantling of the stables...
*nudges* :) Even if he's turning into the hunchback of notre dame here, would give him some stats, and maybe more use to the castle.

Sorry, forgot to get back to you on this. I'm trying to avoid mixing military and civilian jobs, so I can't give him a crossbow unless I'm not turning back on him - and I quite enjoy him as the kooky feral animal guy. Besides, he's serving a great purpose as the tanner and leatherworker (as well as making for great writing material).

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2010, 01:30:56 am »

Since you are building off of human culture, I'm assuming you will be putting coffins in some catcombs below ground. If that is so, if it isn't a hassle, I would like you to build a shrine to Khorne in the center of them, littered with the skulls of enemies.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2010, 01:48:33 am »

Since you are building off of human culture, I'm assuming you will be putting coffins in some catacombs below ground. If that is so, if it isn't a hassle, I would like you to build a shrine to Khorne in the center of them, littered with the skulls of enemies.

Maybe... I'm totally cool with doing stuff like that, but I'd like to keep external gods and stuff from being in the story canon. I can still build a shrine of skulls for you, but it'd have to be to one of the dwarven gods currently worshipped by The Fortress of Singing. Based on the list (below), it'd have to be Nazom or Thusest (or just to the worship of skulls in general).

Incidentally, crypts will be under the church, so the shrine can be a secret area behind them.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2010, 01:51:39 am »

Thanks, it would be best if it was Thusest if there are no external gods.
Does my guy worship Thusest? Because that would be convinient.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2010, 03:01:43 am »

I have a challenge for you, oh mighty castle builder. :) I was thinking about what might be interesting to see in a DF castle, and for some reason the word 'arch' came into my head. I thought it might be impressive to build a great archway for the main gate, between guardtowers or whatnot. I don't expect this to be smoothly round, but it should be able to look awesome if you spread it out a bit both width and z levels.

And yeah, I suppose I can life without having him gain crossbow skills, if he's comming into his own as a tanner and leatherworker. It is your story after all. :) and I've been lucky enough to be mentioned more than once in it. My nudge was mostly to make sure you saw it.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Erling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2010, 09:16:13 am »

I had no time to read all this time, but now i've read a whole story at once. It's awesome!
And I'm really proud of my sharpshooting dwarf =)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:22:23 am by Erling »

TheHunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2010, 11:09:07 am »

I'll take Ingish Brushedfence and add him to your swordsdwarf corps. Current name is fine if it's fine with you, and feel free to address why someone with his personality traits would enlist in the military, or just ignore that situation altogether.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2010, 12:11:55 pm »

Woah, are all the walls gonna go that far out? The one you've built almost hits the edge of the map.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2010, 06:05:49 pm »

Thanks, it would be best if it was Thusest if there are no external gods.
Does my guy worship Thusest? Because that would be convinient.

He worships Rithol, unfortunately. But I can try and use DC to change that... or, barring that, just ignore his true preference for story purposes.

I'll take Ingish Brushedfence and add him to your swordsdwarf corps. Current name is fine if it's fine with you, and feel free to address why someone with his personality traits would enlist in the military, or just ignore that situation altogether.

Cool, I'll post the personality page next update.

I had no time to read all this time, but now i've read a whole story at once. It's awesome!
And I'm really proud of my sharpshooting dwarf =)

Ubik's actually a Grand Master marksdwarf, significantly higher level than Sparta. But since I've removed the archery ranges (elite military units may only level through combat! wahaha) she won't be a champion until the next siege.

I have a challenge for you, oh mighty castle builder. :) I was thinking about what might be interesting to see in a DF castle, and for some reason the word 'arch' came into my head. I thought it might be impressive to build a great archway for the main gate, between guardtowers or whatnot. I don't expect this to be smoothly round, but it should be able to look awesome if you spread it out a bit both width and z levels.

I was actually thinking about doing something like that! I like building things that span z-levels as well - I try to gear my constructions towards looking good in visualizers. For an example of previous stuff I've worked on, check this out (still in-progress, technically).

And yeah, I suppose I can life without having him gain crossbow skills, if he's comming into his own as a tanner and leatherworker. It is your story after all. :) and I've been lucky enough to be mentioned more than once in it. My nudge was mostly to make sure you saw it.

Irwin's a lot of fun to write because I can mention him lightly here and there very easily without spending a lot of time on him, so he becomes familiar to readers very quickly. And of course, he has an army of unassigned war animals that follow him around, so if it comes down to that he's capable of killing the crap out of enemies (albeit not personally).

Woah, are all the walls gonna go that far out? The one you've built almost hits the edge of the map.

Yup! The far edge of the guard tower walls are the 6th tile out from the edge, and the regular walls are I think the 9th tile out - which gives me just enough room for a kickin' moat! Yeah, Mightygrips is going to DOMINATE the landscape when I'm done with this. Part of the reason for embarking on a mountain was for massive z-level building.

Might be able to crank out an update tonight, I dunno. It's a really busy weekend for me. Might get one done at like 3 or 4 am if I can't sleep. Plus I need to think of a new 'chapter name' or whatever.

Great to see the interest in the story! I'm having lots of fun writing it.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2010, 06:33:07 pm »

wow, my measly forts look pathetic now...
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2010, 06:34:21 pm »

wow, my measly forts look pathetic now...
Same here

Edit: I like what you did with the magma pipe, looks kewl.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:50:45 am by Beanchubbs »

Von Krieger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2010, 08:24:42 pm »

If she's still available, I'll take the female dwarf named Controlinked. Dub her Kriega and make her a mechanic, if the position is not already taken. If not, into the army with her.

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2010, 03:23:41 am »

Put something like this:

Assign it as the dining room/meeting hall :D

I'm saving the rest of my fort for when i finish it, seems to have become a megaconstruction in itself :)
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: Of Knights and Days. [community]
« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2010, 08:19:04 am »

Sorry, not a lot of images this time. Mostly just worked on the fort while getting some story stuff up.

---

27th Slate, 14~

It is getting difficult to put on a smile each morning. Or each night, for that matter. Mightygrips continues to grow, yet I feel as if I’m withering away.

We’ve had another influx of migrants that changed everything. The nineteen of them showed up confused, asking who was in charge. “I am,” replied Bodark assertively. I did my best not to show my discomfort. After all, I had been selected as the expedition’s leader by that bastard from the mountainhome, Melbil. But it’s three years gone, and what leadership I had has transcended to pure authority - yes, my job instructions will be followed, but nobody looks to me for answers. All for the better, I suppose. I don’t look to myself for answers either. Still, I couldn’t help but be a bit jealous.

“Ah, so you’re the king’s steward, eh?” commented one of the new members of our party, Logem Newflag. I shared a somewhat confused glance with Bodark, one of the few times we’ve locked eyes in the last few months.

“Well, I… suppose,” he said. And that was that. Now that Bodark was officially in a position of authority, he needed his own room as well. We’ve set him up above the stables, in some of the unused rooms there. …Sam’s there too. They married a few weeks ago, without much ceremony. Rykue was best man. I wasn’t invited.

Despite all the progress on the castle, I haven’t been able to shake this bitter funk I’ve been in. The elves came to trade, but instead of bantering I just gave them some goods and walked off with barely a word. Even the one that continues to wear the skull hat didn’t get me to crack a smile. I’m finding myself lashing out more than I’ve intended to, and I accidentally snapped at Jyrvus the other day when he came asking about work. He’s the closest thing to I have to a friend – I don’t think what I was thinking lashing out at him. He’s done more than his share of work, too, having dug out half the upcoming moat on his own. He’s got an apprentice now, Sazir, who’s getting good.

The populace seems to share my poorly-contained anger. We saw two goblin thieves and trying to sneak into the fort… and all the dwarves around them dropped what they were doing and tore them to shreds. It was somewhat horriffic to see, but not so much that I didn’t wish I could’ve joined in.

The goblins have certainly begun to take note of us. A horde of them tried to ambush us while we were expanding our walls. Our knights, Sirs Sulvor, Grath, and now Angron, were nearby, but had little defense against the crossbow-wielding ones. They all took at least one bolt to the chest before they were finally taken down, leaving Sulvor and Grath injured and Angron in bed. They missed one, though, a wrestler making his way for the children who were idling in the yard. I tell myself I intervened for their sake, but had they been there or not I might’ve done the same. All my pent-up anger was released in one rush. Tendons were severed; limbs became limp and... just came off, really. Before the goblin’s eyes went glazed, there was this despairing, pained look in them. It was the kind of look I imagined Urdim had when the orcs had descended upon him, just meters away from safety. I stopped, and looked at the ground, littered with chunks of innards. Looked at my hands, like bloody paintbrushes. Looked around me at my workers, all silent, staring, shocked.

“What?!” I asked, somewhat waveringly. “Don’t you have better things to do?!”

Nobody moved for a few moments, then they slowly continued along their way, eyeing me nervously. I stood there alone with the bloodied cadaver. Static in a sea of flowing dynamos. Eventually I shuffled to a pond and washed my hands. It took two hours before I thought they were clean enough.

---

Okay, I really focused on story progression there, so I’m just going to cram in a ‘here’s what’s going on’ bit in here.

Walls are looking great; I’m trying to rush to get a single, thin 1-z high barrier up for defense. Then I can relax and work on thickening them and starting to build up. Also, remember how the jungle used to have trees? No more! Yay for clear-cutting.

Doom got a secretive mood and actually used a fair amount of stuff in on her silly earring, including billon and trifle pewter bars as I forbid the other types when I saw she was going for bar storage. It’s pretty nice, at $74400, but it’s got a picture of Tomescinder, the hatch cover on it. Tomescinder has a picture of the first hatch cover on it. Yeesh.

Here’s Kriega, Ingish, and Gale’s personality info. 'Major injuries' are a reference to sparring, since their sparring partners wield obsidian swords. There are a lot of 'Rest' messages, even with armour :\

Nalar and Sir Angron are dating now. Wooooo, military couple. Speaking of couples, Rykue and Gutendorf had another kid, a girl. That’s two children and one baby, as we had a child immigrate and the first baby grew up.

After that rather poor showing when the goblins ambushed, I’m a little worried about what will happen during the next orc siege, which is almost certain to be very early on this winter (I paused just at ‘it is now summer’). Admittedly, I had three melee soldiers go up against seven crossbowgobs, but even with my full military I don’t think I can take down an orc squad yet. Maybe if I have the archers cover them at the same time. Dunno. I’ll need a big ammo stockpile, at least.

'Steward' is what I'm calling the mayor... which, yes, is Bodark. Huzzah!

Quick migrant list:

Legendary list is now up to 12 and includes Sazir the immigrant miner and Doom via her artifact work. I admit, I kind of wish I'd changed the init to have artifacts off when I started - I kind of wanted to build up wealth purely through continued effort. According to Dwarf Therapist, Ubik’s nearly a champion archer, Sulvor’s approaching champion swordsdwarf, and Quinn (with 7 strength, 6 agility, and 3 toughness) has almost got his third legendary skill in appraisal.

Aaaand we’ve got a new chapter title: Of Knights and Days. I’ve updated the first post to contain links to the first story post and this one – the first segment has been titled ‘The Depressed Guild of Misery,’ after the expedition’s name. Incidentally, the best I could come up with for this update title in my notes is 'Quinn is unhappy.’

If she's still available, I'll take the female dwarf named Controlinked. Dub her Kriega and make her a mechanic, if the position is not already taken. If not, into the army with her.

Done, and personality sheet is a bit higher up in the post.

Put something like this:
<image>
Thats my tavern from the fort I'm making, with the booze stockpile placed under the bar (See the ramp-hole?) and 6x5 upstairs bedrooms for minor nobles (Or richer dwarves when dwarf economy comes). Mine is 3 z-levels tall right now. How tall can you get yours? :D

I've got different plans for Mightygrips. Believe me, if I wanted to build a big megaconstruction, I would. Mightygrips is progressing intentionally slow mostly for writing reasons.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 08:30:26 am by Retro »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25