Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 48024 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: A medieval hell. [community]
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2009, 06:20:55 am »

We require pics from Visual Fortress and a map!

Stonesense is fine as well. :) And runs better, at least on my comp.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2009, 09:54:12 am »

---

10th Felsite, 12~

We’d just gotten the main floor of the workhouse done when we heard voices from behind the palisade.

“Uh, hello? Anyone home? …Hello?”

We all turned to see where this new voice was coming from (except Jyrvus, who didn’t seem to notice). There was a rather timid looking dwarf poking his head around the wall over the bridge. He was a bit odd looking, but I couldn’t put my finger on it at first. Then, suddenly, it hit me: his beard was clean. How unnatural! Distasteful, even.

He blinked at us from a distance. We blinked back. To be honest, I don’t think any of us had really expected migrants. It had been over a year; Thob and the merchants’ visits were the only connection to the mountainhome we’d had. Had anyone expected dwarves to brave these evil lands, I don’t think anyone would’ve expected them to look like this chap, anyhow.

“Well?” called Bodark eventually. “Aren’t you going to get over here and introduce yerself?”

The strange, timid dwarf hesitated, then stepped towards us rather hurriedly. “Uh, yes, right. I’m, uh, Lance. Er, Julius Lancestraps, not… this is embarassing… I’m a, uh, mason? Sort of? In training, you know, sort of… of thing—”

As we watched him flounder socially, a female dwarf equally unfamiliar to us sauntered past him. “Don’t mind the kid, he’s been like this the whole journey. Samantha Worktrade, a pleasure. Call me Sam. Say, there isn’t a tavern around here, is there? Long trip.”

I turned to eye everyone else, as if to ask ‘Why haven’t we thought of building a tavern yet?’ I was met with looks replying ‘Hey, mister manager – why haven’t you thought of building a tavern yet?’ Damn it.

We must have looked awfully silly. Thus far our clan had said nearly nothing, and Julius was flubbing his own introduction, leaving Sam unimpressed. “Uh, well, not quite,” I said. “We’ve got a dining room in the cabin over there, and there’s a bit of rum left—”

“Rum? Oh, and don’t tell me – you’ve got the usual assortment of beer, ale, that standard stuff too. No more of that, how about? I didn’t come here for the stimulating conversation, I’ll tell you that – sun-brewed liquers are the hottest new thing right now.”

I said ‘Oh’ in a way that made me sound very out of touch with modern drinking culture (which I suppose I am) and left her in the cabin while I excused myself to grab a barrel of whip wine. The othes were still outside the workhouse. Julius, the bookish one, was attempting to tell the story of their journey over, and from a distance he appeared to be failing miserably. Such odd new people we’ll be living with now. I wondered if they would fit in.

Irwin ran past with the pack of war dogs, all yapping and nipping at each others heels. He was covered with hay and mud.

Sadly, yes, yes they would.

---

Aaaaand here's our personality charts. A few extra thoughts since I didn't think to take them right away.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll grab some screenies with both programs, but for now keep in mind we really don't have much. It's reeeeally really basic until we can kill the imps (or capture them as per Haika's suggestion, which would be interesting) and expand our perimeter.

ed- aaand back.

The site, with north marked in the SS screenies.

And this wide-view VF shot helps you get a sense of the layout (there's a bunch more mountain that extends west and north, too):

As you can see, we've clearcut the area around the castle and progressed in a straight line to the east, and a bit around the magma pipe that we took stealthily while the imps were roaming. The non-clear-cut section is imp territory - Sam and Julius spawned at the exact point of the map that would take them directly beside the magma pipe when heading to the castle, so I had to use crazy traffic orders to reroute them. You can see how expansion is a problem when we can't safely attack the ranged beasties who've claimed their territory.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:14:22 am by Retro »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2009, 10:24:09 am »

I'd say that as soon as you can, send in a dwarf with a crossbow. Wooden bolts will travel through magma unharmed till they stop, where they will burn/melt/disintegrate. At least those imps will be a bit mangled, hopefully. Either that, or you could somehow cap the top with water. Somehow.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2009, 12:15:11 pm »

so how am i doing?

i forget if i died yet.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2009, 12:18:53 pm »

You can make the crossbow out of bone as well. There are no fire or magma men, correct?
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2009, 01:21:19 pm »

I'd say that as soon as you can, send in a dwarf with a crossbow. Wooden bolts will travel through magma unharmed till they stop, where they will burn/melt/disintegrate. At least those imps will be a bit mangled, hopefully. Either that, or you could somehow cap the top with water. Somehow.

You can make the crossbow out of bone as well. There are no fire or magma men, correct?

It's three zombie imps and nothing else - the main problem is that I don't want to endanger any of my dwarves at all and they won't go back in the pipe, so I can't really get the drop on them. Until I've got expendab-- cough, reliable military dwarves, I ain't going after them. Though I really would like to catch at least one - perhaps I'll have Jyrvus carve up a channel around the pipe with a cage-lined exit, much as I hate to deface the natual look of the area like that.

so how am i doing?

i forget if i died yet.

Nobody's dead, nor injured. I've been decently careful, but at the same time we're still uberpoor since crafts haven't been a main priority yet and orcs are still too apathetic to lay siege (and for the strangest reason my evil forest isn't giving me hordes of angry skeletal deer). I could hypothetically turtle if the orcs came, but that's no fun - I just need to get some military migrants first. So it's gonna be arts n' crafts time for Julius.

ed- Happy New Years! I'll be back sometime tomorrow afternoon.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 05:18:27 pm by Retro »

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2010, 03:59:16 am »

I'd like to have a dwarf for this, if that is possible.

Name: Angron
Profession: Axedwarf/bonecarver

Background: He was sent here as punishment for trying to start a cult in which nobody except him (or her, if that is the only one available, I don't care either way) in worship of Khorne. He tries to prove himself worthy in the eyes of Khorne by killing as many beasties and sentients as he can, and collecting their skulls for his master's throne. He is a bit unstable and easy to anger.

Prefers to consume Khorneflakes when possible:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:04:03 am by Beanchubbs »
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
  • Reproduces through Mitosis
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2010, 07:07:50 pm »

khorne you say? how would he like to meet the emporer? or sigmar?
]
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elder berries!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2010, 10:02:50 pm »

Argh. Back a little later than I thought I'd be. Update's a little more event-focused than story-focused; forgive me, it's been a looong and headache-y day.

---

7th Galena, 12~

Bloody imps! We’d had our hopes up to start building the new perimeter this summer, but the damned little monsters have been gleefully prancing all around the jungle. As much as I’d like to send someone out to stick some bolts in their crackly skin, we can’t anyone getting a burn injury. Still, there is something we can do – I had Jyrvus dig a tunnel to the edge of the pipe and Bodark laid down some traps. This also gave us access to obsidian, which Irwin crafted into some makeshift swords. We’re just waiting on more migrants to begin our offensive defense.

In lieu of expanding, we’ve been improving our current fort of operations somewhat.

Irwin’s stables have been improved, now containing the butchery and a new tanning and leatherworking station. Irwin has moved in, choosing to sleep on the earth beside the animals, and has insisted in putting the butcher’s workshop in the bedroom we were originally going to give him.

We’ve also built a small home in the palisade for Gutendorf and Rykue, who’ve gotten married. I didn’t hear about it until aftewards; my invitation must have been lost in the mail.

Most of our focus this season has been on preparing fo the autumn caravan. I’d rather not put up as embarassing of a showing as last time, so Irwin’s been making all kinds of rock and bone crafts. I sat down with Bodark the other day and we decided to focus on getting as many metal bars as we can. We’ve got some swords, but no armour of any sort, which is extremely vital. Besides, who wants to migrate to a colony that doesn’t have the cash to trade?

Julius, the new kid, has mostly sat down and made blocks in the masonry work area. I asked him what the difference was, and he went into some stuttering ramble about the importance of right angles in following blueprints. We don’t really use blueprints. My style is to just kind of gesture in a general area, and then Dermonster and Rykue build whatever feels right.

Speaking of my woodcutters-turned-construction workers, Rykue still hasn’t killed anything yet – but Dermonster got a third raccoon.

She launched it rather far, its guts exploding in a fine mist while she just smiled gently and went back to work. I seem to be the only one that suspects something is off-balance in her head. Maybe I’ll just stop thinking about it now.

Sam’s fitting in well, too, although she doesn’t seem that concerned about making conversation with anyone. I’ve tried to start some up during my breaks, but she doesn’t seem to pay much attention when I start talking. Perhaps she has a hearing problem. I’ll make sure to use big gestures next time.

Still no sign of any goblins, or anything else for that matter. I’m a bit worried that we’re entering the calm before the storm. My only hope is that the caravan gets here before the creatures do.

---

Sam refuses to befriend Quinn. I turned off both their labours, but after a month they're still only passing acquaintances, while Gutendorf and her went to being friends from zero-acquaintance after a single work break. There must be something in their personality files that's opposing or something.

I think I'm going to change Gutendorf's last name to match Rykue's, so once there's a few generations of dwarves I can track their family lines more easily. On that note, feel free to tell me if you want to be dorfed as a baby.

Beanchubbs, you're on the TBD list.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2010, 10:08:23 pm »

Thanks, nice updates by the way, they're a good read.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2010, 10:15:32 pm »

stats/relations for my dwarf?

also, this is the only community in which i appear to kick ass instead of bringing a curse of death upon us all. its a nice change.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2010, 10:30:28 pm »

Spoiler: The thoughts of Julius (click to show/hide)
It's strange how well the personality of my dwarf fits the role of "that castle-loving weirdo".
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2010, 11:04:12 pm »

stats/relations for my dwarf?

also, this is the only community in which i appear to kick ass instead of bringing a curse of death upon us all. its a nice change.

You're pretty well-statted out, although you may have lost the title of resident badass as of the next update. Kill count: three raccoons, all unnamed. Actually, I'll go and do a general stat update:

Thus making Quinn the strongest dwarf in the fort (Legendary +5 in record keeping) and Jyrvus in a close second (Legendary +3 in mining).

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2010, 11:23:30 pm »

Can I have a spot in the TBD list? Name of 'Grath', profession: Boltcatcher. (Wrestler dwarf, preferably with a shield so he (don't make females military dwarves, baby-shields happen that way) doesn't actually become a pincusion.)

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2010, 12:17:43 am »

I’ve tried to start some up during my breaks, but she doesn’t seem to pay much attention when I start talking. Perhaps she has a hearing problem. I’ll make sure to use big gestures next time.

Hah, I enjoy your writing. Keep up the good work!
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25