Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 48032 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: A medieval hell. [community]
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2009, 09:41:00 am »

Oh, you have to have big, circular guard towers at the corner! With the top covered in un-roofed fortifications for patrolling marksdwarves to rain bloody death down upon!

Also, if you're daring/bored enough, you could try placing hovels around the outside of the castle when it's getting closer to completion. You could even play as the peasants who live outside the brilliant looking castle! It would make sieges tons more Fun :3

I second the motion of a longhouse. Perhaps a deep pit in the centre that is dual-purposed as a well and sacrificial drop, a la 300? Hehe, "THIS. IS. MIGHTYGRIIIIIPS!" *hammer'd*
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2009, 11:48:45 am »

You will need a huge tower you can always lock down, where you can pull back if overrun. Remember to place food and water booze in there.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2009, 11:50:09 am »

THE WALLS MUST BE 5 LAYERS THICK, EACH LAYER MADE OF ONE TYPE OF WOOD.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2009, 11:54:54 am »

I'd like to see single houses for most of the dwarves. You can make them just like the hummies, 4x4 with a bed,table,chair, and a single food stockpile. You can replace the stockpile with something else if you desire, and their homes can be expanded easily if they want more things. Thanks.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2009, 02:59:02 pm »

Okay, so we're looking at... an enceinte (wall around a town) for the outermost wall, excessive layers of curtain walls (at least two more) around the castle-y area, single houses for each dwarf, a longhouse that doubles as a keep... at some point in the walls I'd put a gatehouse, and a massive tower extending out of the keep. And I could add mini-structures outside the town part. I think I can rebuild the stable later, too, and have it be part of a courtyard in the inner keep.

Woo, this is lots of fun stuff! I think the outer layer village will be more fun if it doesn't have any special protection except the wall, and maybe a few dogs to check for ambushes, so the guard towers will probably be on the second curtain wall layer. I'd like to make the walls thick enough to have passages inside them, too.

So I'll definitely need to expand the wall (and probably rebuild it out of stone), but until the imps are dealt with, I can't - and until we have a military, we can't deal with the imps - and ultimately until we have migrants we can't train a military. I'm not risking one of the starting seven. They're busy enough as it is.

Oh, and Haika:

I think your plan with the elves should change. :( If you keep snubbing them Irwin will never get any exotic pets to play with. You have to trade them quite a bit and get some estatic elfy traders to bring tales of the great dwarfy castle that needs a pair of giant eagle pets... >.>

I've been so busy Irwin hasn't been able to get working on any crafts, but I have disabled a lot of his hauling duties and ordered crafts made, so he should be able to get SOMETHING done. But elves are weird - due to the limited space available on their packbeasts and the way they load their goods, the more you give them, the less likely you are to get anything but cloth and maybe leather. But I've heard you need to give the elves profit so that the humans show up, which is why I'd like to spoil them if I can - and then once the humans arrive, I can start treating elves miserably and hope they bring me awesome things.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2009, 05:05:00 pm »

Weeeee've got migrants!

Well, sort of. Two dwarves, a female brewer and a male blacksmith. We don't really have use for a blacksmith, since the little metal we'll be getting our hands on will be going straight into weapons/armour production, so I'm giving the blacksmith to Julius the miner/architect and letting Jyrvus get back to weaponsmithing and such (funny, the miner's switching places with the smith). Jarod Cain wanted a bartender, so we're giving him Ms. Cain the brewer.

I'm heading out shortly, but I'll probably give a story update and an events update sometime tonight.

ed- Jarod, tell me if you want to chage your dwarf's name since she's a she. 'Cain' is pretty masculine. I tried Ms Cain in the nickname menu but it looks kind of funny.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 05:07:27 pm by Retro »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2009, 06:05:25 pm »

Oh, and Haika:

I think your plan with the elves should change. :( If you keep snubbing them Irwin will never get any exotic pets to play with. You have to trade them quite a bit and get some estatic elfy traders to bring tales of the great dwarfy castle that needs a pair of giant eagle pets... >.>

I've been so busy Irwin hasn't been able to get working on any crafts, but I have disabled a lot of his hauling duties and ordered crafts made, so he should be able to get SOMETHING done. But elves are weird - due to the limited space available on their packbeasts and the way they load their goods, the more you give them, the less likely you are to get anything but cloth and maybe leather. But I've heard you need to give the elves profit so that the humans show up, which is why I'd like to spoil them if I can - and then once the humans arrive, I can start treating elves miserably and hope they bring me awesome things.

You're running 40d right? As I understand it, the more you trade with them, and make them happy, the more elves with packbeasts come. I don't know of any connection to humans the elves have... If you didn't get humans on the 2nd summer, the likelyhood of you getting them in future summers may be slim.

Also the crafting jobs should help with migrants. In my above ground forts, I've found that just hauling and building walls, along with any digging usually dosen't bring in what the migrants want, but once I start building workshops for crafting items they start arriving.

Granted, I could be totally wrong. I haven't been to the main part of the discussion forums for a long time now. I've just got my own experiences. I say, trade with the elves, more trade means more trade in kind. At least that's what I've seen so far.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2009, 07:52:13 pm »

We need a stone keep set up to house civilians during sieges, and an archer tower near the gates.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2009, 11:25:07 pm »

You're running 40d right? As I understand it, the more you trade with them, and make them happy, the more elves with packbeasts come. I don't know of any connection to humans the elves have... If you didn't get humans on the 2nd summer, the likelyhood of you getting them in future summers may be slim.

Also the crafting jobs should help with migrants. In my above ground forts, I've found that just hauling and building walls, along with any digging usually dosen't bring in what the migrants want, but once I start building workshops for crafting items they start arriving.

Granted, I could be totally wrong. I haven't been to the main part of the discussion forums for a long time now. I've just got my own experiences. I say, trade with the elves, more trade means more trade in kind. At least that's what I've seen so far.

The 'more elf profit = faster human arrival' I've only heard recently, and it is hearsay, but my last fort got the humans after eight years only after I finally gave the elves insane profit. So it's unlikely, but I'll go with it until I need a new model. Though they will brring more packbeasts eventually, it's just that the amount of stuff they want to bring also increases, so eventually I'll get elf hordes bringing cloth. Hopefully at that point I'll be able to handle elf sieges, so I can implement some sort of elf-elimination plot.

The migrants... yeah, I should get on crafting more stuff. Srsly.

Off to write some updates.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2009, 11:36:24 pm »

The most important part of any imposing death fortress/dark tower/crazy castle is the entrance.  I’m thinking something that opens gradually, and dramatically.  HUGE doors that slowly edge open, or slam close.

The X’s are floodgates, the ^’s are pressure plates.  Basically, it is hooked up so that when the lever is pulled, the water rushes in, triggering each pressure plate one by one, opening each floodgate “row” one by one, making it look like a huge 3*11 door that slowly opens.  The little || things in the middle are drawbridges, which are lowered immediately when the lever is pulled.  Actually, it would be easier just to replace the drawbridges with two more floodgate rows, making it an even number of tiles long.  There are two water wheels positioned over a 3*1 channel over the pressure plates.  They don’t really serve a purpose, but they look like gears turning when the water rushes in under them, causing a flow.

You could complete the effect by adding a row of vertical bars in front of the door that lowers when the door opens, creating a portcullis.  And a huge drawbridge in front, that raises when the siege door is closed.

Of course, one must also remember to have a hatch in the same place where the water rushes in, that, when the door is closed by lever, causes the water to flow back out of the pressure plate corridor, causing the “animation” to run in reverse.

WARNING:  remember to build the pressure plates first, and hook up each floodgate row as you build, so that the center floodgates aren’t trapped by the others!

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2009, 12:52:34 am »

ed- Jarod, tell me if you want to chage your dwarf's name since she's a she. 'Cain' is pretty masculine. I tried Ms Cain in the nickname menu but it looks kind of funny.
Hmm... Sam is fine.

Quote from: The Mad Engineer
The most important part of any imposing death fortress/dark tower/crazy castle is the entrance.  I’m thinking something that opens gradually, and dramatically.  HUGE doors that slowly edge open, or slam close.
You're living up to your name and it is beautiful. Just make sure that each gatehouse is a strong one with towers. We will have no weak and undefended gatehouses in our castle.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2009, 01:02:44 am »

---

19th Granite, 12~

With the imps wandering around the valley, I’d sort of hoped the elves would be ‘greeted’ on their way in. Alas.

They breezed in in an airy manner, practically floating up the bridge and into the fort. Their mules, less so. The beasts bore cloth and berries, mostly. Some thread. I passed Irwin as I went to greet them.

“Listen, Irwin. Remember the bonecrafts I asked you to make a while ago? Grab a binful and meet me over by the elves.”

“No time for bonehappenings! The stables must go higher… higher…

“Well, couldn’t you go make some right… now?” But it was too late – he’d run off wielding a hunk of stone. I was in the same dratted situation I was back when our own merchants had showed up.

Well, if we didn’t have bonecrafts, what did we have?

I stopped through some of the makeshift stockpiles and picked up some random stuff, finally meeting the elves at the depot.

“Ah, fair dwarf! Your kind are so small, yet full of so many surprises, are you not? I greet you, on behalf of our people: I am Nili—”

“Right, you’re an elf, I get the picture. Let’s skip the fancy tongue stuff, why don’t we?” The blonde creatures furrowed their brows at me. I continued. “All that stuff you’ve got there? We don’t want it. Your cloth, your stupid berries… I mean, come on, guys. You brought a caged blue jay. Who made the decision to bring a bird to trade with? Hell, the cage is probably worth more than the animal is.”

This was a dangerous game. If I didn’t come off as confident, even intimidating, they would see this as an insult. Of course, it was an insult, but hopefully they’d just generalize it away as some odd form of respect in dwarf culture.

The elves regarded me at great length. Time wasn’t a factor to them, I suppose. One of them, not the one who had first spoken, piped up. “So… you don’t want to trade, then?”

“Not this time. Instead, let… in fact, allow me to make an offering to your kind.”

I held up one of the raccoon skulls. We didn’t have bonecrafts, but we still had some bones. The elves were still, and rather confused. I stepped forwards melodramatically, holding the skull out in both hands, as if it had some sort of hidden mystic power. Then I placed it on their leader’s head.

“We understand that your people respect nature and live in harmony. We, too, now try to follow your ways of nature. This hat is symbolic of our efforts to find a use for everything so as to make no death meaningless."

I was met with stares. Then the one with the skull on its head pointed out that we’d built our entire outpost out of wood. I told them to sod off and come back with some better trade goods next time. They left, the leader still wearing the hat.

Jyrvus, now a miner of legend, leaned on his pick next to me as we watched them go.

“They’re leaving in a mighty hurry. What do you suppose that was about?” he asked me.

“Oh, I don’t know, Jyr… Elves are just so... ‘bone’-headed sometimes.” I laughed. Jyrvus didn’t seem to catch the pun. “Uh… or, rather… they’ve really got a ‘bone’ to pick with us, eh? …Eh?”

“Oh, I get it. It’s funny because you used the word ‘pick’.” He didn’t laugh, but seemed to be mulling the pun over internally.

Good enough. I headed inside to continue work on our castle designs.

---

Yeah, I forgot to disable masonry and carpentry on Irwin and he ended up continuing to build walls without me noticing. I really did give the elves the loose bones lying around and nothing else. Hopefully it counts as a profit even though skulls are worth nothing (doubtful).

Hmm... Sam is fine.

Done.

Quote from: The Mad Engineer
You're living up to your name and it is beautiful. Just make sure that each gatehouse is a strong one with towers. We will have no weak and undefended gatehouses in our castle.
-J-

...Yeah, seriously. Yeesh. That massive floodgate thing sounds awesome, though, and it's a good opportunity for me to toy around with fluid logic.

Getting a second update ready, concerning our pair of new migrants... eh, actually, I got kinda distracted and now it's late. Tomorrow, then. Also, yaaay Jyrvus for becoming Mightygrips' second legendary! Perhaps I'll keep a list.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 03:15:28 am by Retro »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2009, 01:52:08 am »

higher, yes, higher! :D

Several floors higher would be great. One floor per animal type *nodself* and put out a cage trap or two somewhere out there. Foxes would be great, and who knows, you might catch a zombie imp to trade or somesillyness... >.>
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2009, 03:45:02 am »

Foxes would be great, and who knows, you might catch a zombie imp to create a deadly fire trap with.
Fix'd

Anyway, loving the writing ^^ It's very good. Also, that floodgate thing took me a second to figure out (because I'm an idiot, clearly.) but it looks AWESOME. Like a cascade of floodgates! *boom... Booom... BOOOM!!* You may come in now! Hehe.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2009, 05:27:53 am »

We require pics from Visual Fortress and a map!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25