Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 48012 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: A medieval hell. [community]
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 03:46:34 pm »

aboveground fort.

we only using human plants, and they cant be brought on embark

i think.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 04:06:14 pm »

Well if we're making a castle you'd at least dig for stone to build the walls with, right?

A backstory for my dwarf would basically be that he's a 'volunteer' who was observing human architecture and building methods (hence the Architect and Mason) at the time the first group was sent. His family consists of Miners who'd continually send him engraved stone blocks on which they write how undwarvenly his job of copying human architecture is.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 04:13:48 pm »

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 04:46:47 pm »

Yep, seeds and vegetation will have to be gathered from the start, And we don't really have any farmers at this point anyway, so we will have to make due with meat from my animals and whatever we might be lucky enough to hunt for a while. Just as long as we keep a breeding pair, maybe slaughter the wagon randoms, and hope we get puppies and colts quickly.

As to stone, I'd like to see strip mining myself, start with the top of the mountains, channeling it down to the flat ground, using the stone from that to make the castle with. Will we be making the stones into blocks before use? That seems more rl castle building to me, than just slapping stones together. For now though I suggest getting a wooden palisade up quick, just for some protection around the stockpiles and such. Maybe get a lean-to bed dorm set up.

I'm a little worried about water myself, not sure what we have from that embark screen. With all the skeleton type stuff around, Injury recovery is going to be important.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 05:03:09 pm »

Did Gutendorf just turned into woman farmer? Awesome!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 11:58:25 pm »

Whew, sorry about that. Just got in an hour ago and played out most of spring now.

---

1st Granite, 11~

It wasn’t a happy new year. Someone suggested throwing a party to celebrate; I think Dermonster. We didn’t.

We’ve been in the Malodorous Jungle for a few days now, trying to get the wagon as close as we could to the volcano, our intended location. Though the travel part of our job was almost over, nobody except Dermonster seemed all that cheery.

As we arrived at the base of the volcano, there was an unearthly wailing sound that emitted from the mountain’s heights. We all stopped as we heard it, the unnerving echoes taking forever to finally fade away. It sounded like something dying – many somethings. We stood there for a moment, horrified, unconsciously grouping closer together.

“Well!” said Bodark, who had just returned from investigating the suroundings, “this seems like a good place to set up camp!”

We didn’t bring much with us except some meat and booze. We had been ordered not to dig; there was no hope of procuring ore to smelt – thus no anvil. Jyrvus would have to fill other jobs for now. I told Rykue that he could hunt later, after we had cleared the trees in our new site. I really, really hoped someone else would tell him that there was nothing alive out there. The way he gripped his axe handle unnerved me.

Jyrvus has been content to start putting up walls. He knows he isn’t going to get a forge any time soon, but doesn’t seem to be bothered. Or bothered much by anything, really. We heard a skeletal eagle cawing at the night a few days back, and he seemed to just shrug it off.

The site was clear. I mentally tried to plan out what we’d need to start our base of operations, hoping to assert my leadershi—

“Okay, everyone, let’s get going! I need those trees down and all our supplies over in the center there! We’re going to need a cabin for sleeping and eating, a stable, some farmland, and a workhouse right away. Let’s show some hustle, you dwarves.”

Bodark again. He’d outdone me again. Fine, let him handle the project, I guess. I’ll be happy enough to be indoors.

4th Slate, 11~

We’ve spotted some imps creeping around outside the magma pipe. They’re a little scrappy-looking. Some exposed innards, that sort of thing. Though by now I’ve had my share of unnerving. With luck, they won’t come our way.

We’ve started work on our palisade perimeter – a thin, wooden wall that will (hopefully) protect us from attackers. I’m still trying to plot out a defensive measure, though – we need to leave our trade depot accessible to supply caravans. I suppose that’ll be up to me. Bodark’s got the group’s support, but I seem to be the one following through on his lofty ideas. The de-facto leader himself keeps staring at our camp and looking upwards, as if imagining things to come. Things are still a mess, though, so hopefully he'll root himself in the present for a while.

It’s taken a little while to get our beds and tables into the makeshift cabin. My bed took especially long to make, and I was forced to sleep on the floor one night. Though I suspect Demonster, she always seems so cheery that I’m second-guessing myself. I’ve never seen a dwarf actually whistle while they work before.

Rykue has finally approached me about her constant woodcutting duties. “Listen,” she said, “it’s been about a month. I want to go out there and kill something. All this tree cutting is dulling my axehead. Are you gonna let me get to it, or will I have to stay in here and kill something, instead?” Subtle. I blatantly lied and told her to wait just a bit longer; surely, something living would wander through. If not, I’m blaming Bodark.

Gutendorf’s given me a lot of hassle about her new duties. She argues that she’s a master clothier, capable of crafting the finest garments. I argue that we don’t have a farmer. She’s been complaining to Bodark, I think, but the more her stomach grumbles after eating the jerky-like cat meat we brought along, the more right she proves me.

Irvin continues to not do much. He’s been standing around the fields with the animals, watching them graze. I told him we’re going to need to butcher a few if we start to get low on meat, and he just grinned to me with his head tilted a little too far forwards. That was the end of the conversation.

The hollow caws continue to get louder each night. I’m not excited for what’s to come. Not that that changes anything.

---

So, yeah. Not much to see so far. Going to do more conversational stuff between the dwarves once I have some defense done; until then, I need to orc-proof myself some more (although no, I won't be just sealing myself inside).

Did Gutendorf just turned into woman farmer? Awesome!

Yup - I was out of male dwarves, and nobody had volunteered to be a farmer yet. As much as I'd like to follow through with dorf requests, there's only so far you can bend without a food source.

Yep, seeds and vegetation will have to be gathered from the start, And we don't really have any farmers at this point anyway, so we will have to make due with meat from my animals and whatever we might be lucky enough to hunt for a while. Just as long as we keep a breeding pair, maybe slaughter the wagon randoms, and hope we get puppies and colts quickly.

As to stone, I'd like to see strip mining myself, start with the top of the mountains, channeling it down to the flat ground, using the stone from that to make the castle with. Will we be making the stones into blocks before use? That seems more rl castle building to me, than just slapping stones together. For now though I suggest getting a wooden palisade up quick, just for some protection around the stockpiles and such. Maybe get a lean-to bed dorm set up.

I'm a little worried about water myself, not sure what we have from that embark screen. With all the skeleton type stuff around, Injury recovery is going to be important.

There's actually a fair amount of lakes, and we've got a well up (brought a chain and dug out a single square of rock for a mechanism; we've got a pick but I'm restricting its use heavily).

We'll be mining out rock to use eventually, but until we get some migrants, it's wood time. Hoo-yeah. And yeah, they'll be open strip-mine quarries. I'll do my best to carve blocks since it's nicer, but if I'm in a hurry, source material it is. Next on the to-do list is defense, then a stable, then a workhouse.

For those curious, since I forgot to screencap it: We embarked with 100ish slabs of cat meat, 200 barrels of booze (50 of each type, since I don't think we'll be brewing anything anytime soon), two axes, a pick, five dogs, and two horses - and we got a horse and a mule with the caravan.

That giant skeletal eagle bothers the hell out of me. I have no idea what to do if it attacks. Bloody fliers.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 12:01:35 am »

Needs  two twin towers of wood spiraling around each other by the time the castle is build or will go insane and kill everyone.

8)

:D

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 12:04:03 am »

Needs  two twin towers of wood spiraling around each other by the time the castle is build or will go insane and kill everyone.

8)

:D

Eheh. Yeah. Dunno if the castle will ever be considered 'done,' but I'll do my best to fit this in somewhere. I suspect it'll eventually look like this anyhow.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 12:29:31 am »

Looks great. I'm getting worried about being a spearsdwarf right now with the skeletal creatures about. If a hammerdwarf (or the hammerer :D) shows up I'd like to take them as well. Please and thanks.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 01:25:56 am »

Accursed Dermonster, I see your (self-perceived) malign grin everywhere! Are you perhaps reverse-following me? >w< I mean, I'd call you a stalker (jokingly, naturally) but you were kinda here first.

I hope your dwarf suffers an excruciatingly painful death, preferably at my hand!
Haha, just kidding. I love you.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 03:32:14 am »

I'll take a dwarf.

Name: Cain
Profession: Brewmeister / Bartender / Marksdwarf
Personality: An enigmatic dwarf who is a legendary brewer and equally legendary bartender. Came to Mightygrips in order to attempt to work with topside brewing techniques and bring a "uniquely dwarven perspective" to them. His bars are known for their quiet, intimate atmospheres where he will happily listen to and help dwarves with their problems. Strangely though, no one knows much about him and his past, and any inquiries are quickly reversed upon the questioner. If any problems break out in his bar he first attempts to conquer the situation with diplomacy. If that doesn't work he grabs Sharsidkebul Shotom Genlath (Blightedsparkled the Tornado of Seduction), an artifact dwarf bone crossbow and stops any problems.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 04:24:25 am »

Add Spartan, a male crossbowdwarf.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 09:40:48 am »

Randal shall be extremely arrogant and egotistical. He always believes that he is the toughest and strongest dwarf in the fortress whether he actually is or not. He will demand all artifact weapons and armor be given to him. He is also very supersticius
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2009, 10:42:13 am »

Randal shall be extremely arrogant and egotistical. He always believes that he is the toughest and strongest dwarf in the fortress whether he actually is or not. He will demand all artifact weapons and armor be given to him. He is also very supersticius

So he's a total douche?
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Pasakoye

• Bay Watcher
  • c is for SCAMPS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2009, 02:03:09 pm »

I'd like a dwarf.

Name: Pasakoye
Profession: Axedwarf  >:( or Butcher  :P or Milker :D
I play as elves.
What the f*ck is wrong with you?
DF doesn't have a learning curve. It has a sheer cliff face. And you have to climb it with nothing but a keyboard.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25