Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 47995 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: A Noble Pursuit. [community]
« Reply #330 on: February 12, 2010, 12:34:17 am »

Poor Shebi, left to lead that noble around. Maybe her smith's hammer will 'slip' into his face repeatedly.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 12, 2010, 07:54:40 am »

Sorry for the double post, BUT.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I finished my picture~<3

Oh man, it's awesome that Cedar was a red wood. It really brings the picture out.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 12, 2010, 01:15:28 pm »

That's awesome, thanks Doom! I'll go stick it on the first post later (hoorah, we have fanart!).

Just as a heads-up to everyone, my computer is having some major troubles (for once unrelated to DF), so I might be slow with the next couple updates. I'm going to see about taking it in today, though. I'll see if I can write something up at the library and post from there maybe.

ed- Belay that... uh, it fixed itself. Somehow. I'm still gonna take it in to see what happened, but no damage to update schedule.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:41:22 pm by Retro »

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 13, 2010, 12:50:25 am »

I'm glad your computer understands that you have important updates to write.  :)
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 14, 2010, 11:46:46 pm »

...you have important updates to write.  :)
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 16, 2010, 12:58:38 am »

Wheeeeeeew, okay, sorry about that. I feel like I’m starting a lot of these updates with “sorry about the delay” but hey, what can you do. The other day when I was all  “belay that I sooo fixed my computer”… well, it crashed about an hour after that. Realistically I should've waited before declaring that everying was fine again. So I’ve just come back from having gotten it fixed earlier today, and though I’ve been back in the world, I figured I wouldn’t come back to the thread without an update. Speaking of which:

---

Will someone pay attention to me for the gods’ sake?!” I shouted. No heads turned, no footsteps were silenced. Mightygrips had fostered something in all of us that prompted a ‘flee’ reaction when confronted with signs of impending work. There must have been something in my voice that was signalling that I had a job I needed to dole out – I imagine if I looked long enough I’d find a horde of sorry-looking dwarves circled around the still, each professing they were too busy drinking to get any work done. It was dwarven self-preservation at its most inebriated. I couldn’t blame them, though-- I’d caught it too, thanks to the annoying noble couple now demanding all my time and attention, not to mention my patience.

Unfortunately, this was one of those situations where I really did need some help. Since finding the message from Styledstrike (or its wearer, or whatever it was) I’d been unable to find any of the smaller fortress artifacts. The bigger ones were in plain sight – a hatch cover in the dining room, a fancy-looking floodgate in the nobles’ quarters – but the loose objects had all but disappeared. I was getting very jittery. I’d assumed Styledstrike had been taken as an object of worship, but recalling the unease we’d all felt at its creation, I was getting more worried that it was the mask itself that held the power. Regardless, those artifacts made up a sizeable amount of our fledgling castle’s wealth, and I needed to find them.

“Gutendorf!” I called out, recognizing a face in the horde quickly making its way to the brewery. “Hey, Gute! Hold up a sec!”

The tough old woman turned to face me. She’d done nothing but farm the last few years, and upon the first large influx of migrants, had largely fallen out of the fortress spotlight. Though she was always invited to meetings, I couldn’t recall the last time she’d attended. “M’off to get a drink, guv.”

“No, uh, that’s fine, I just need a favour real quick.”

She rolled her eyes and put down the buckets she was carrying. “Let me guess. You want to build higher, do you? Get even further away from the ground? This ain’t a natural life we live here, Quinny. We’re s’posed ta be dwarves.”

I avoided eye contact quickly. Gutendorf’s sentiment had been popping up among migrants lately, each having travelled here on the assumption that the castle was for show and that the real fort was underground only to find out how wrong they were. I’d gotten used to the sun, of course, as had we all, but I was one of the only ones who’d accepted it. “No, see, um…” I fumbled my tongue around my mouth trying to think of how to phrase my question. “I was just wondering – it’s just a question, by the way, I’m not trying to give you extra work or anything – um. I was wondering when you last saw Brimssmeared lately? Or Ravenbury? Or the Truthful Length, or… y’know, any of those things.”

She frowned, not breaking eye contact. “I’m a farmer, Quinn. If you misplaced something, I ain’t the one to go looking for it.”

“No, see, I know that, I was just trying to check with someone else, and, uh, well, nobody was really listening to me, and I saw you, and—”

Gutendorf picked the buckets back up and walked off. “No wonder no one listens to ya, Quinny,” she said. “Come on back when you’ve something to say.”

My shoulders sagged. I suppose I’d gotten carried away with the desire to just talk to someone about all the strange things that had been happening lately that I hadn’t considered that nobody else cared. Or rather, that it wasn’t anyone else’s problem. Still, I was surprised nobody had noticed all the mysterious happenings going on around Mightygrips – had nobody else noticed Bodark’s mysterious disappearance? Or seen a dwarf with a bone mask stalking around the cabin? Or spotted that strange, hooded bodyguard that had arrived with the nobles?

I grumbled to myself, heading back to the cabin. At the least, if I cleaned up my desk I could get a little bit of work done, and then focus on the strange matters at hand. I opened the door to my office and stepped inside to see a strange man in black sitting at my desk. After a second’s startled thought, I recognized him – Lady Victoria’s bodyguard.

I stood in the doorway for a moment, hand still on the doorknob. The cloaked man still said nothing. His face was just as shrouded in darkness as it had been the first (and last) time I’d seen him. Presumably a him. We’d never formally met. Eventually I coughed, realizing he wasn’t going to break the silence. “Um…” I said. “Hi.”

“Good afternoon, Mr. Shadowhelms. I’ve read plenty about you, so let’s not waste time with the introductions, shall we?” He gestured to the spare chair I used to seat my rare guests. I would have pointed out that it was my office he was inviting me into, but… I couldn’t muster up the charisma. The voice had the qualities of a true gentleman: energy, some gravitas, and above all, complete confidence in its control over you. Not at all like a bodyguard would be trained to have. Instinctively I sat.

Before I could speak, he was talking again, now standing in a whirlwind of shadow, his black cloaks and robes swirling around him and reflecting no light. “Do you recall, when you first left the mountainhome, a dwarf named Zuglar Oarhead?”

I blinked. “Uh… well, no. I mean, of the seven of us, there were only four men… myself, Bodark, Irwin, and Rykue. To my knowledge, that’s not anyone’s last name… uh, why do you ask—”

“So he’s mislead you as well, then. Hm. Intolerable, intolerable.” The hood focused at the ground, its wearer idly thinking. “Well then. You do not currently serve any use to me. I shall return when I have more questions.” A pause. “Interesting choice of decorations,” he said, glancing at my carved-up desk still engraved with the message from Styledstriked. “Nonetheless, a pleasure.” The hood dipped, presumably in a nod, and then with a flicker disappeared out the door nearly as fast as I could turn my head.

I sat there in my guest chair, puzzled. Zuglar Oarhead? I’d never known an Oarhead, not in Mightygrips nor back in the mountainhome. Furthermore, what was going on with that bodyguard who clearly wasn’t a bodyguard? I’d forgotten to get his name, or perhaps been directed so as to never have the chance.

My head hurt. I needed a drink, or some sleep, or perhaps one followed by the other. Figuring all this out was going to be a hell of a job. I poured myself a mugfull of Sam’s finest sunshine, which I kept under a floorboard.

Thinking could wait. Right now I had a dwarven self-preservation instinct to give in to.

---

Incidentally, I’ve recently been loathe to use the traditional “Day Month, Year~” opening that most community forts use. It makes things difficult if I ever want to post two updates following events that happen right after one another. I think I might just eschew them altogether unless necessary for artistic flair.

ed- Just saw Rykue achieve Legendary Engraver status, making it his second legendary skill and the second dwarf besides Quinn to be double legendary in anything. Since Rykue and Dermonster haven't had much wood to cut, I've put them to work as floor smoothers, hence the engraving skill. Dermonster's at Master level right now. 24 seperate dwarves have now achieved legendary status, though Sparta has since died, for a total of 27 legendary skills counting Quinn's three and Rykue's two.

Poor Shebi, left to lead that noble around. Maybe her smith's hammer will 'slip' into his face repeatedly.

She's actually a legendary gem setter! She made a clear zircon / green glass hatch cover called Tomescinder a while back that's currently keeping all the massively overlapped noble rooms at Royal quality.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:17:04 am by Retro »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 16, 2010, 02:45:10 am »

She's actually a legendary gem setter! She made a clear zircon / green glass hatch cover called Tomescinder a while back that's currently keeping all the massively overlapped noble rooms at Royal quality.

I'm totally thinking of a different community fort. In almost all the rest, Shebi is a blacksmith XD Ah well. Replace hammer with chisel. =D

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 16, 2010, 12:14:22 pm »

Irwin is doomed to only become legendary if a good mood strikes him... so difficult to get legendary animal training, heh

This is assuming he dosen't screw up and just get possessed or something.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 16, 2010, 05:23:03 pm »

Hmm, Quinn needs a friend. Sadok needs to be Quinn's friend, since he hasn't been mentioned yet. I'm guessing he's been farming like any random dwarf child?
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 16, 2010, 11:25:23 pm »

Bah. Quinn's social issues and paranoia are interfering with my dungeons!
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 17, 2010, 09:10:27 am »

Jyrvus is his friend! :D

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 17, 2010, 03:52:27 pm »

---

...Months ago...

There was a click as the door slid shut behind him, possibly too loud. His back against the door, Bodark was doing his best not to pant. Running all the way across the yard was sloppy, but he’d had little choice in the matter. The heat was on now, and he would have to do whatever he could to keep it off his back.

Sam would know what to do. He’d prepped her on the eventualities of his disappearance enough times, surely the gods could attest to that. She was a good wife, and fiercely loyal. He wished she could be there with him, but that would mess everything up.

How could they have found him? He slid to the floor, hearing nothing from the other side. He was doing so well. It’d been nearly a decade since it was this close before. Oh, well. He could always start over somewhere else. It’d happened enough times already.

Footsteps from the hall. Bodark froze, and reined in his laboured breath. He could hear someone – presumably Quinn – shouting his name, but he was already free. They’d never find him here. It was strange enough that the clerk was looking at all; to Bodark’s knowledge he’d kept his own history off the scribe’s desk of papers.

Safe, Bodark rose to his feet and walked deeper into the room. Until he could safely get out of town, though, he’d be okay here. There was a stockpile of food and booze, and an extra bed Sam had made. He’d siphoned off some of the magma pipe’s flow to heat the place as well as keep it faintly lit, but until the magma level was lowered again, nobody would see the hole.

Everything felt good here. It felt right. Oh, to be underground again… it had been so long since he had lived at a proper fortress. The outdoors… well, it was okay. In a unfulfilling way. There were some sacrifices a dwarf had to make, hard as they are. But to be back underground…

Bodark paced to his new bed and flopped down on it. Memories eight years gone flashed in his mind. The accident. The night that he found his door knocked off its hinges. The running. The second life at Diamondseizures. And the same thing had happened; nobility had ‘happened’ to arrive. He had fled, then, too. But since then he’d gotten smarter, and better. The third and fourth lives would have lasted longer if he’d remembered to keep his head down, but he was naturally outgoing and some migrants from the mountainhomes had recognized him. It was his downfall, but not forever. He stole dye, coloured his beard, and ran.

He remembered seeing a crowd, hearing a proclamation. A new fortress was beginning, they’d said. A castle. Outside. The idea appalled him, but he knew it was the perfect opportunity. What dwarf would be crazy enough to live in a castle? He’d applied, one of the few who did, talked to that sycophant Quinn who’d gotten himself put in charge, and then they were off.

In all the gods’ long lifetimes he’d never expected them to succeed. It would’ve been better if they hadn’t, in fact; alias or not he was traceable, as had been proven repeatedly. But if their fledgling fortress failed, investigations would only find the remains of zombie giant eagle attacks. He’d be presumed dead by the officials, and to the unofficials who knew better the trail would be cold. But they had flourished, in defiance of the hell they toiled in, and he’d never had a proper excuse to disappear. Which meant that he would have to leave again. Run again.

He sighed. Life five had been so promising. Sure, he could always start a sixth, but dwarves weren’t cats. He couldn’t keep this up forever, and he knew it.

Bodark yawned and opened his eyes, sitting up. He couldn’t sleep in this room. Underground or not, the vibe from that bin was incredibly strong. He felt watched. He was uncomfortable. Rolling over to face the wall, Bodark pulled the covers back over his shoulders and shut his eyes again. It was just a bin. No need to get worked up. For now he would sleep, and in the morning he would begin emergency preparations. He was too tired for all this. After a minute’s silence, a deep snore rose in the air.

Across the short room, the bin flickered dark red and orange in the magma’s light. Its label was barely legible in the dim light, but Bodark knew what it said.

Here Lie the Exceptional or Otherwise Impressive Artifacts of the Great and Powerful Castle Mightygrips. Off-Limits to General Public That Means You. Touch at Own Peril.

---

Irwin is doomed to only become legendary if a good mood strikes him... so difficult to get legendary animal training, heh

This is assuming he dosen't screw up and just get possessed or something.

Irwin continues to be useful but has yet to gain any especially high skill nor exceptional stats. It's unfortunate. Sooner or later he'll get Legendary Leatherworker or Tanner, though; he does those in his spare time.

Hmm, Quinn needs a friend. Sadok needs to be Quinn's friend, since he hasn't been mentioned yet. I'm guessing he's been farming like any random dwarf child?

I have farming set to farmers only, so he's just a child socialite now. I should try and start working him in soon, though. The guy's probably five or six now.

Bah. Quinn's social issues and paranoia are interfering with my dungeons!

I'm still working on the dungeons :D They just haven't been prominent for a few updates. I'm trying out a few designs, but it's going to be pretty cool, don't worry.

Jyrvus is his friend! :D

Quinn: Oh Jyrvus, sometimes I feel like you're my only friend.
Jyrvus: I suppose it might rightly be so.
Quinn: I'm so... lonely.
Jyrvus: Shame, boss.
Quinn: It's like everyone hates me sometimes...
Jyrvus: A-yup.
Quinn: ...wait, what?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 17, 2010, 10:58:24 pm »

wait I'm an engraver?
i shall personally smooth and engrave every hall, floor, and corridor which (The dwarf who is the commander who's name i forget) so much as GLANCES at in his daily routine.
with him in the images.
naked.
with tentacle demons
or elves.
or beardless.
still naked.
on fire.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 19, 2010, 07:41:06 am »

I'd offer Irwin as a friend, but well... I'm not sure that friendship would help much, hehe
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 20, 2010, 06:14:41 pm »

Well, I was going to post an update today, but I'm packing up for my flight home tomorrow and didn't have as much time as I thought I did. So just as a heads up, I'm on my reading week break and I'm not going to be updating until I'm back. Which means the next update will either be Sunday the 28th or Monday the 1st. I'll try and make that update a good one, though. Cheers!

And I'll do my best to incorporate Irwin, Rykue, and Dermonster in the next one. They've been out for a while now.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25