Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 48044 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: Of Knights and Days. [community]
« Reply #270 on: January 29, 2010, 08:41:24 pm »

Interesting. I'll go ahead and stake my claim to the Baroness, name her Victoria please. ;)

And woot for Irwin getting new stables and stuff to play with.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 29, 2010, 09:44:23 pm »

We're going to have one kickass zoo.
"On the left, you'll see the rotting remains of a zombie snakeman. On the right, you'll see the rotting remains of a zombie Giant Cave spider. Up ahead, you can see 2 elves tearing into what used to be their friend."
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 29, 2010, 10:03:58 pm »

Once the quarry's basically done (When you hit the bottom) What do you plan to do with the hole? I can see some awesome possibilities. Might I suggest multi-level arena fun, along with a complex array of 1-z level falls and zombie giant cave spider linked pressure plates?
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Diarrhea Ferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2010, 04:20:25 am »

Or perhaps change the stables to only hold "friendly" creatures, and turn the quarry into a multi level super dungeon with the all the zombies and the GCS at the bottom.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.
YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 30, 2010, 11:44:42 am »

Uber crypt? Build a spiral staircase going all the way down with 3x3 rooms with sarcophagi and statues inside.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 30, 2010, 12:45:22 pm »

I decided to make up for the lack of screenshots in the last couple updates. And with great timing, too, because the last summer at Mightygrips was awesome. Probably my favourite update to write thus far. Also the longest, be warned.

---

23rd Malachite, 17~

The orcs were back. But this time we were not going to give in to their tactics of fear and intimidation. We would bring the fight to them.

Angron had spent the last week berating me for not letting him engage the beasts in melee combat. “I am a knight!” he shouted at me, over and over. “Let me protect my people! Do not let those cowardly archers defend our walls!” The other knights, though not so direct, had expressed the same sentiment to me over and over. They were getting fed up with standing around idly during each siege, safe as we were, and had gathered around to try and pressure me into changing my mind.

Ubik was with us as well, though Angron was noticeably facing away from her. The grand archer had garnered a reputation for silence, especially after the tragic death of Sparta. Now she rarely spoke unless discussing military tactics, and even then her sentences were short and sharp. So it was a surprise when she opened up into a tirade on Angron, saying twice as much as she ever had at the fort.

“Cowardly archers? You believe us cowardly archers? Very well then, mister Big Strong Knight. Go ahead and go out there alone. Face the spiders, with their webs thick enough to hold a caravan in place like a buffet. Face the orcs, twice our size and triple our strength and numbers. We cowardly archers shall be waiting here, feasting upon biscuits and wine!” She stormed out of the room, leaving a wake of silence behind her.

Eventually Angron, stunned, mumbled “Well, yeah, that’s kind of what I was going for…”

I sighed, annoyed at all this tension. “All right, you know what? Fine. But on the condition that you take Ingish and the recruits with you.” The sound of objection filled the air. I waved my hands around to quiet the knights down. “No! There is no discussion on the matter! Everyone will be in full plate armour and will move together as one, only attacking one squad at a time! Is that understood?

Mumbled, reluctant assent.

“Good! Now go get ready. The humans have been behind our walls for weeks. We don’t want to keep them here forever.”

Amused grumbles. Keeping the humans locked in with us as guests had tested all our patiences.

We parted ways to prepare for the following day's battle.

---

24th Malachite, 17~

The battle was first joined by miscommunication. When the matter was discussed later, it was realized that ‘by the bridge’ was perhaps too generic a choice of words for telling the troops where to congregate. The knights, having had plenty of experience, waited where they always did by the north courtyard bridge. Ingish’s squad of trainees waited by the outer moat bridge and immediately got into a scuffle with the orcs.

Of the 12 beginner swordsdwarves, 15 orcs, and 15 giant wolf spiders, four of Ingish’s squad survived, incapacitated, while a handful of orcs and spiders lay alive but too badly injured to attack. It was a bloodbath.

Sulvor saw what was happening first, and ordered the knights to charge just as a second squad was approaching. For his bravery, the last of the recruits were spared, and to my amazement no knight nor squire suffered a single wound. The orcs and spiders did not have that blessing.

We sent runners to grab the wounded, making sure nobody ran too far from the gates. But the siege was not over. Atop the mountain, two squads of snipers sat, waiting, while by the east walls a third squad of axe lords approached. Shymyro Lurchhated, a warlord, was among them.

Sulvor spoke. “They are right beside the moat. There is no room for us to maneuver. Facing them alone would be foolish; with a single misstep one could drown. We cannot do this alone.

“Alone?” scoffed Angron. “We won’t be alone, we’ve got the…” he trailed off, remembering the previous day’s exchange.

“You know what you must do,” said Sulvor. Lowerinng his head, Angron walked away very slowly. The knights retreated into the courtyard for him to return.

Kadzar, Gale, and Ferret, Angron’s, Sulvor’s Nalar’s squires and page respectively, sat down with their high boots in the water. Having begun their training together, the three were close friends, especially as the knights had a seriousness to them that did not allow the younger apprentices time to relax. “You know, I bet he likes her,” said Kadzar.

“What? Who?”

“Angron and Ubik. I bet he likes her. Likes her likes her.”

Ferret chuckled. “Uh, hello? He’s involved with Nalar. We spend, like, all our time with them. Did you seriously not notice?”

Kadzar blanched. “Whoa, seriously? I didn’t catch that at all. I thought Nalar had a thing with Sulvor?”

Gale’s face went red. Ferret gave her a look, trying not to chuckle again but ultimately failing. “I don’t think Sulvor’s on the market right now, actually. He’s too busy, uh, ‘mentoring.’ Incidentally, Gale, we all knew except for Sir Observant here.”

“What… but…” Kadzar shook his head a bit, trying to follow the conversation. “Well then who does Ubik like?”

“I don’t think Ubik likes people in general.”

With perfect timing, Ubik entered the courtyard with Angron and Macedon. “I have considered your cohort’s sentiment,” she spoke, “and I have resolved to aid you in this battle. Let the joining of marksdwarfship and swordplay mark a new era for Mightygrips. I take my leave.” With that, she headed out of the courtyard with Macedon and up on the walls.

“Oh man. She’s pretty dramatic, eh?” commented Ferret.

“Everyone’s dramatic. It’s war. Not much time to sit around and talk, you know?”

From the circle of knights, a number of calls rang out to the apprentices. Kadzar was right – there was never time to relax. The trio got up and returned to their masters, who were in the midst of their prep talk.

“…will show them mercy in the form only of a swift death!” shouted Sulvor. “We are Mightygrips!”

“We are Mightygrips!” shouted the knights back, and they began their charge.

As they ran, Nalar prayed to Rithol under her breath, while Angron clanged both swords together over his head, the only knight to forego a shield in favour of a second weapon. Grath turned to Randall, noticing her smile. “What’s so amusing?” he asked.

“What do you think about the moat? A little grey, isn’t it? A bit plain, I think.”

“And what did you have in mind?”

“I thought we’d redecorate,” she said. They both grinned, and slid their faceguards down. The battle had begun.

---

Editor’s note: if anyone has awesome music at hand (preferably rock), I suggest you play it now

---

From above the walls, Ubik and Macedon began firing. Though the orc squadron was composed primarily of carvers with axes, there were three snipers taking aim at the knights down the long approach. “There,” pointing Ubik, and they fired, their bolts cutting through the wrists of the orc archers. The knights, safe from ranged fire, raised their weaponry and let out a joined war cry.

The battle was bloodier than the first – these orcs were much better trained and equipped. The knights, however, acted as one unit, cutting the thick, hairy legs fom the spiders and knocking their riders down.

Randall was quickly beset by two orcs at once, but Grath intervened, knocking one into the moat. Randall quickly thrusted her sword under the second’s helmet. “Thanks,” she said as the carver fell to its knees, blood pouring down its crude iron armour.

“Just redecorating,” he said. She grinned.

On the far side of the battle, Kadzar had lost sight of Angron as well as the other knights. Behind him, he heard the familiar scuttle of a wolf spider sneaking up on him. Whipping his sword out behind him, he embedded it deep into a spider’s skull, the creature dying instantly. He went to pull it out, but found it stuck. The squire began to panic, now prressing a foot against the giant beast’s body, but having no luck.

“You are having trouble see,” growled a voice from atop the spider. Kadzar looked up to see Lurchhated, the warlord in charge of the siege, standing atop his dead mount. In crude Dwarven, he spoke again: “I help fix your problem.. for good.” The monster began to laugh, holding out his steel battle axe already glistening with blood, then jumping down beside it. It was wearing a tattered cape, Kadzar could see, and in its masterwork armour it was an intimidating sight. The squire could feel fear beginning to overtake him, knowing he was outmatched.

“Kadzar!” shouted a voice behind him. Ferret was now at his side again. “C’mon, we can take this guy. He’s not tough, just ugly!”

Kadzar nodded, though he was not completely certain, and the two spread out around the orc warlord, trying to flank it. Lurchhated swung his axe around in circles, keeping the two back, all while laughing. “You think I ugly?” he snorted. “Everything ugly. Only death beauty. I will help see you this beauty!” It suddenly reversed the swing of its axe, knocking the blade against Ferret’s chestplate.

“Ferret!” shouted Kadzar, ducking to avoid another high swing of the axe.

“I’m okay!” his friend shouted back, though he was clearly badly wounded. “Armour’s… just dented. You go get him for me!”

The axe circled around again and Kadzar moved to block it with his sword, but the orc’s strength was far greater than his and he lost his grip. His sword went flying off into the moat.

“Ha! Ha ha!” laughed Lurchhated, clearly enjoying this. “You now have no weapon! I make short work of you.. by cut off your knees! Then YOU are short work!”

The air whistled, and a bolt dug into the orc’s iron glove and through its hand. It screamed, dropping the axe. Kadzar turned his head quickly to see Macedon nod to him from the wall. Apprentices looked out for each other. The squire turned back to his opponent, his will renewed. “You say death is beautiful,” he said, picking up the orc’s axe. It hissed back at him, its good hand holding its wounded wrist. “Well, I think you’re ugly. Why don’t we give you a makeover?” The squire swung.

It wasn’t a killing blow – it was several non-lethal blows. The knights had a code to kill rather than simply wound. ‘Show them mercy only in the swiftness of their deaths,’ Sulvor often said. But Kadzar wasn’t a full knight yet. He swung again and again, only trying to hurt the creature. Finally he relented, having tired himself out. The orc was lying on its side, bleeding from all over, no longer capable of speaking.

“You hurt my friend,” he said. The orc eyed him angrily from the ground. “That was a bad idea.” Kadzar swung the axe back up on his shoulders, summoning the last of his strength. “You think death is beautiful? Go find out for yourself.” He swung, not with the sharp end of the axe, but with the flat side. The orc flew into the walls, gibs shooting off in all directions, then fell into the moat, floating face-down until the weight of its iron armour dragged it to the bottom.

Kadzar dropped the axe, panting heavily. Far away, in the the thick of the battle, the knights were just finishing up the last of the orcs. The snipers on the mountain had retreated, having watched as their numbers grew too thin for comfort. They had won.

“Kadzar?” mumbled the barely-conscious Ferret from the ground.

“Yeah?” he asked back.

“That was awesome.”

Kadzar grinned, both hands on his knees. He stood up and went to pick up his comrade. “Let’s go home, buddy.”

~

End Chapter 2

~

As I sit here in my bathrobe, horribly hung over, I could not be prouder of our little dwarves.

Also, when your enemies spew ichor, blood, and vomit all at once, battlefields get disgusting. The battlefield is red (blood), white (ichor), orange (either red sand or blood AND ichor), green (vomit), light green (vomit and ichor), or grey (blood, vomit, and ichor together in harmony). Yum.

I’m pretty happy about the archers and knights teaming up. I really don’t think the knights would’ve won that one if Ubik and Macedon hadn’t shot down the snipers (seriously, they actually ignored all the other ors until the three snipers were down). Also, when Kadzar dueled Lurchhated (and seriously, they did duel alone; the knights had some weird squad stationing glitch and kept trying to patrol the south side of the moat) I actually switched his weapon of choice to axes so he could pick Lurchhated’s up. So awesome. My sentiments mirror Ferret’s.

Didn’t get around to introducing the nobles what with writing about three times more about the battle than I had intended, but hell, I’ll get to it next time.

Sidebar: Sulvor is our first legendary swordsdwarf, and having done 100% of his training in combat without sparring (to make champions much rarer), I’m pretty happy about that. I’m making the champion-swordsdwarf title ‘Cavalier’ in reference to the half-warrior-half-nobility royalists of the English Civil War. All the titles I have right now make for a tasty anachronism stew, but hell, I don’t care. Macedon went legendary marksdwarf as well. There’s also a buttload of new titles: Macedon the Strokes of Coloring (apparently he’s considered an artist?), Sir Randall the Slayer of Dipping, Kadzar the Laborious Stalker of Focus, and my personal favourite, Sir Sulvor the Naughty Gorge of Names. In the recruit charge, we lost seven dwarves plus a baby. Momuz, the current leader of the all-wrestler mob squad, lost her husband and daughter (the baby was hers) but at least she managed to save herself by sacrificing the kid. And Bomrek, our full-time chef, is finally legendary, so despite these deaths and the tower accident’s other five-ish deaths, everyone’s still ecstatic (and I’m talking 1400 happiness ecstatic – regular ecstasy hits at 150, fyi).

Kill Count, from this battle only:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:47:13 pm by Retro »

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 30, 2010, 01:04:15 pm »

Did you really give my guy 2 swords, or are you just putting in flavor text? If so, then you pretty much kick ass. :D
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 30, 2010, 01:56:35 pm »

Responding to everyone got huge, so just new-posting it.

OH GOD NO  :'(

When my dwarf doesn't get a tantrumdeath and receives "Doesn't care about anything anymore" He'm pretty much immune to tantrums.

...wait, the dwarves here have enough free time to talk with each other? I fear you're doing something wrong here.

He's actually a pretty happy guy :P

Aside from the building team, who do nothing but constantly build the walls and tower, I have maybe 12 dwarves with dedicated jobs (ie. mining, smelting, managing work) and all other labours turned off, and as Julius is a dedicated mason, he usually stands around when I don't have him making furniture on demand. Though at this point it's rare to find a dwarf who isn't dating.

Yay, I'm sadistic.

Goraillion's personality is basically "I'm unhappy, angry and better than everyone else." Making him a pessimistic grouch was barely optional :P

Those who break the law shall know the wrath of Moose the Hammer!

Done, personality sheet here:

Care to call a dwarf "Julien Brightside"?
He can be an optimistic guy who likes hammers for their squareness.

Last names are complicated, but you've got a Julien now:

Oh noes, I died. FELL INTO THE MAGMA. PRIME OF MY LIFE.

Honestly, that's the second community fort I've died in so far. Last one I got crushed by a drawbridge. Yeesh.

Anyway, if you'd care to, find the happiest (free) dwarf you can find. Call him/her Ohgame/Shebi. Pretty please =3

Yeah, I was disappointed about that. Everyone else was an expendable peasant, but you'd generated like 2m of the fort's 2,300,000 wealth (>Make rock crafts (R) for the win).

Here's Shebi; the legendary gem setter:

I'd like the tax collector please. Name him James.

Done. The custom title we're going with here is chamberlain :D

what was i doing again? was all this from my POV? i think it was. or was that another fort?

All the point-of-view stuff is Quinn; everything else is generally 3rd-person narrative that follows someone. You're a legendary woodcutter here with a hate-on for Quinn.

Interesting. I'll go ahead and stake my claim to the Baroness, name her Victoria please. ;)

And woot for Irwin getting new stables and stuff to play with.

Okie!

We're going to have one kickass zoo.
"On the left, you'll see the rotting remains of a zombie snakeman. On the right, you'll see the rotting remains of a zombie Giant Cave spider. Up ahead, you can see 2 elves tearing into what used to be their friend."

I'm really hoping to get the berserk elves to shred up the last melancholy elf. And yeah, our zoo's kind of getting ridiculous :P

Once the quarry's basically done (When you hit the bottom) What do you plan to do with the hole? I can see some awesome possibilities. Might I suggest multi-level arena fun, along with a complex array of 1-z level falls and zombie giant cave spider linked pressure plates?

I dunno. That sounds cool, but I'd rather dig out something like that under the mountain. I'll be building an arena as well, but it'll be overground in the castle keep.

Or perhaps change the stables to only hold "friendly" creatures, and turn the quarry into a multi level super dungeon with the all the zombies and the GCS at the bottom.

I've got a pretty cool idea for the zoo setup right now. I think it'll be able to function to hold scary and non-scary creatures alike.

Uber crypt? Build a spiral staircase going all the way down with 3x3 rooms with sarcophagi and statues inside.

Crypt's going under the church, which is also going to be in the keep (it's gonna be a biiig keep :D)

Did you really give my guy 2 swords, or are you just putting in flavor text? If so, then you pretty much kick ass. :D

He never picked up a shield despite being ordered to, so I gave him a second sword to compensate (though in-game he only uses one at a time). I figure it fits his angry personality.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 30, 2010, 03:35:55 pm »

The Naughty Gorge. I like it.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Diarrhea Ferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 30, 2010, 05:08:05 pm »

w00t I'm a sidekick  ;D
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.
YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 30, 2010, 06:38:29 pm »

He never picked up a shield despite being ordered to, so I gave him a second sword to compensate (though in-game he only uses one at a time). I figure it fits his angry personality.

[Napolean Dynamite Style] Heck yes!!![/Napolean Dynamite Style]

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #281 on: January 30, 2010, 07:05:52 pm »

Julien has been ecstatic lately. (Brightside is just a nickname anyway.)
[/quote]

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 30, 2010, 08:44:57 pm »

W00t!!! Boss kill!! Can I keep the axe?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 30, 2010, 10:44:44 pm »

How do you deal with the spiders' silk?

Do you just charge them with your men and hope they extricate themselves in time? Or do they not shoot silk while mounted?

Or perhaps, looking at the screen shots, they don't use silk at all?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 30, 2010, 10:57:50 pm »

I'm guessing he turned off the wolf spiders' ability to web, as he mentioned earlier.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25