Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 48043 times)

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: Of Knights and Days. [community]
« Reply #255 on: January 28, 2010, 12:28:56 am »

That's pretty friggin cool. I've never ever been good at making pictures with tiles, so I'm amazed by anything that even looks halfway decent  :D
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 28, 2010, 12:35:17 am »

Sidebar: This is what I'm toying with for our mural/crest/coat of arms/thing currently.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I'm gonna add some kind of shield behind it, and if I can manage the details, a zombie thing. Thoughts so far? I'm not sure if I like how the bridges look over the floor tiles, but it's hard to see unless I use bridges. Wonder if there's a different way to build them in the colours I need. Hypothetically if I had the right gems I could make gem windows...

I've always liked the look of bridges on constructed floor. Very nice as the first mural.

The problem with gem windows is you can't walk into them. Just something to bear in mind.

As for adding a shield, the space looks a bit too small. Perhaps in a different area you can make an even grander mural.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 28, 2010, 05:15:25 am »

Uh... after about, I don't know, a year of effort I have the power plant working (and I think some new discoveries on exactly how flow works that I might go test and put on the wiki), which means the magma cistern is filling. Very fast, actually - it's well-built. Problem is that FPS is at 0 right now. Sigh. Not the first time I've dealt with this speed, but the first time on a non-megaproject fort. Day-to-day tasks will take some time.

ed- Yeah, uh... the pumping system is so good that it's filled the first 3 levels of its 20x20x12 space (or 1200/4800 7/7 blocks of magma) in about a day. It's also so FPS-draining that it's taken the last like three hours to play out that day. Progress is... slow.

I've always liked the look of bridges on constructed floor. Very nice as the first mural.

The problem with gem windows is you can't walk into them. Just something to bear in mind.

As for adding a shield, the space looks a bit too small. Perhaps in a different area you can make an even grander mural.

I like the bridges-on-floor look in general, but I don't think this tileset makes them look that nice. As fond as I am of the one I use, I'm considering changing to a nice 8x8 one. And yeah, I was hoping to have a bigger area to do some utterly massive mural. Perhaps I'll build a monument in the mountains or something... or I could build it underground. There just isn't enough space on the main level since I'm going to be filling it with buildings, but I really want to do another.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:06:34 am by Retro »

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 28, 2010, 05:51:50 am »

It's a very good mural, but the arrow needs a bit of feather at the end.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 28, 2010, 05:14:41 pm »

I think that's supposed to be a spear.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 28, 2010, 07:18:37 pm »

I think it's supposed to be a crossbow bolt.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 28, 2010, 10:45:21 pm »

Perchance the true beauty of the mural is that all dwarven souls view it as their own. Personally, I think it the pillar of blood - filled smoke rising from a !!goblin siege!!
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 29, 2010, 12:38:39 am »

I’ve been a little forgetful with the whole taking screenshots thing. Sorry. But buncha update for you.

---

20th Felsite, 17~

It was sudden and inexplicable. One moment we had been trading peacefully, and the next the elves had all lost their minds. The animals ran, spooked, as three of the lithe creatures dove hungrily at them, screeching savagely, while the other two became non-responsive and stood around moping.

“Gor!” I shouted to the weaponsmith who was passing by. “What the hell’s going on?”

As we watched, the three feral elves tore a mule apart. Goraillion cleared his throat disapprovingly. “Savages,” he said, spitting. “They talk about the natural cycle, and then they shred a good animal for no reason at all. They have no faith.”

“Faith?” I asked.

“In death, you ogre. It’s the natural end to life. Everything dies. You have to appreciate that. Respect that. You know?” He was a grumpy old dwarf who spent all day at the forge. I suppose his work with weaponry had made him a bit sadistic.

“I… sure, okay. Listen, grab some cages, all right?”

He nodded, unfazed, and began walking away.

I recalled what goods the elves had brought this year. Nothing but cloth. “Gor…” I shouted, “make sure you get the wooden ones.”

He grinned.

Irwin was giddy at the expansion of his already-diverse menagerie. Three bloodthirsty elves to play with. I told him to go nuts.

We pushed the non-responsive elves into the side entrance. They’d make good orc bait.

Inside, I was wondering exactly what had happened, and I found myself reminded of mmy encounter of the wearer of Styledstrike. The masked dwarf’s feral grunting reminded me of the elves’ behaviour, and were similar enough to make me feel a bit uncomfortable. Did this have something to do with the theft of that mask? I decided to investigate further.

---

15th Hematite, 17~

There was an explosion, and I whipped my head around to see red flames swirling around the pit.

Instinct kicked in before curiosity did. I dropped my beer and ran, as did every dwarf around me. We had been working on the new tower for a week, and were planning on ambitiously making it extend downwards into the pipe as well. Since the cistern pumps had been up and running for a few days now, the pipe was largely empty – but that didn’t make it safe.

Magma mist whipping around my legs, I ran across the supports to see a peasant, Rakust, holding on to the edge of the platform for dear life. I grabbed his hands and tried to pull him up.

“Help me…” he mumbled, dazed. I’d no idea what had happened, but I noticed that a lot of dwarves who had been working on the project were missing. This was not going to be a good day.

As if to prove me right, a gust blew magma mist onto my hands and I instictually withdrew them, scalded. No sooner had I done so than Rakust plummetted into the pit, disappearing into the crackly yellow foam.

“Rakust!” I shouted, scrambling back to the edge. Nothing. He was gone.

I looked around me. Dwarves all over looked unbearably sad. It wasn’t a time I would’ve liked to take a leadership role, but reluctantly I rounded everyone up for a headcount. We had lost four. Likast, Rakust, Erush, and… Doom, who had been walking by and was swept in by the mist. She had married Julius earlier in the week, drawn to his young earnestness. I suspect he would not be so earnest anymore.

I never did find out what had happened. It seems we simply cannot trust the pipe any longer. I’ll be happy when construction is complete and we no longer have to worry about such things.

---

Yeah, someone fucked up the order that you build stuff in and thee was a 1x1 cave in… RIGHT beside where everyone was walking over the magma. A sad day indeed. We also need a new stonecrafter. There's a fifth peasant who's floating in perma-fall in the empty part of the pipe. We're gonna try to build a wall underneath him to see if he'll stop falling. Otherwise he's the magic flying magma dwarf forever.

Irwin’s managerie: 2 zombie lizardmen, 2 zombie frogmen, 1 mud man, 1 zombie fire imp, 1 zombie giant cave spider, 1 zombie giant toad, 1 zombie giant olm, 1 skeletal hydra… and 3 berserk elves. I gave elves the [NO_EAT], [NO_DRINK] and [NO_SLEEP] tokens to make sure they don’t go dying on us. Wahahaha.

Here’s some screenies of current projects.

First up, and overview. The first two levels of the walls are done on all sides. I'm also out of felsite again, despite mining more just for this.

Just started the new stables; what you can see there is the east wing (yes, there will be a west wing). That's for docentile animals; the more aggressive stuff will need cells.

The workhouse in front of the cabin is gone, replaced by a sandy farming dugout. It's got 16 3x3 farms. Should be more than enough food.

Here's construction of the tower in the magma pipe. Believe me, it's going to be TALL. I need to fit the forges and regular workshops in there, as well as storage, and I don't have a lot of width (though it'll get wider higher up). But it will be hella tall.

Just a cool shot of the cistern filling up. 6/12z filled completely thus far. That pumping system was complicated as hell, but worth it in the end.

The mural in Stonesense (not really that visible). It's gonna be the floor of the keep's entrance hall.

And last thing to mark off: We've got nobles! Hammerer, taxi, and baroness / baron consort. I don't want to write them in until they've got permanent names, so claim away (not worry about if you already have another dwarf, we have ove 100 now and there's more than enough to go around).

As for the mural: Yeah, it's an arrow... that repesents a bolt. For the medieval theme I'm kind of just pretending that Ubik and Macedon (who's an Elite Marksdwarf now too) are old-timey archers rather than crossbow users. I do need to add some feathers, but everything I've tried so far looks kinda weird. Ah well.

-Ed: It took 10 in-game days to fill, but 24 RL hours! The cistern's full and we're up from 1 FPS to a healthy 35 again. yee.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:35:02 am by Retro »

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 29, 2010, 06:25:18 am »

OH GOD NO  :'(

When my dwarf doesn't get a tantrumdeath and receives "Doesn't care about anything anymore" He'm pretty much immune to tantrums.

...wait, the dwarves here have enough free time to talk with each other? I fear you're doing something wrong here.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Gyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 29, 2010, 11:05:18 am »

Yay, I'm sadistic.

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 29, 2010, 01:30:41 pm »

What luck that you've gotten a fresh wave of migrants/nobles.

Those who break the law shall know the wrath of Moose the Hammer!

Now to finish the rest of the story. ;D
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #266 on: January 29, 2010, 03:50:42 pm »

Care to call a dwarf "Julien Brightside"?
He can be an optimistic guy who likes hammers for their squareness.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 29, 2010, 06:44:19 pm »

Oh noes, I died. FELL INTO THE MAGMA. PRIME OF MY LIFE.

Honestly, that's the second community fort I've died in so far. Last one I got crushed by a drawbridge. Yeesh.

Anyway, if you'd care to, find the happiest (free) dwarf you can find. Call him/her Ohgame/Shebi. Pretty please =3
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 29, 2010, 07:21:18 pm »

I'd like the tax collector please. Name him James.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 29, 2010, 08:32:23 pm »

what was i doing again? was all this from my POV? i think it was. or was that another fort?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25