Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Melting down a chest  (Read 4014 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Melting down a chest
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 09:16:00 am »

It does appear to have been reported here, though it seemingly hasn't made it onto the official bugs list yet.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 11:24:22 am »

Considering the lack of confirmations on that report, I say that this thread should actually be moved to the bugs list forum.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 12:16:27 pm »

I haven't paid close attention to it but it seems they melt down just fine.

I regularly melt down chests that fail to be masterworks. Once I get a legendary blacksmith I use only the best furniture. If its not a masterwork it goes in the reject pile, which means its melted down and recycled so the blacksmith can try again.

This means that the queue for the smelter is somewhat lengthy and I haven't tracked a chest from start to finish, but they do eventually vanish from my stockpiles. Chests, like the rest of the furniture that goes in the reject pile, gets melted away and recycled just fine.

Are you sure the dwarves aren't deciding its naptime or snacktime halfway through the job? It can take a very, very long time to finish a job sometimes, because each of the dozen dwarves that tries to finish it is interrupted before completing it.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 12:38:50 pm »

Fascinating.

No, I'm quite sure that my (non-masterwork, exactly as in your case) iron chests aren't disappearing: they tied up both my smelters, with my legendary furnace operators working on them for game-days at a time.  Everything else disappears almost instantaneously, including furniture.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 12:47:37 pm »

It does appear to have been reported here, though it seemingly hasn't made it onto the official bugs list yet.
Thanks, I just necroed it over in the bugs forum.

As an experience getter, this is pretty weak: I get so much goblinite and dwarf toys to smelt every year I can barely keep up.  I'm building constructions and furniture out of iron, on a map with no local iron.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 12:48:48 pm »

Perhaps these chests are access points to Narnia, and the reason they're not melting is that you're having to melt down the entire Narnia universe first.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 01:28:48 pm »

I can verify that the chests do provide experience, even with a magma smelter.
Just like pumps but less annoying, hail the infinite experience machine!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 03:16:00 pm »

I confirm also, that the act of attempting to melt a platinum chest resulted in the loss of the charcoal and the clearing of the job, but the chest remained and no platinum was produced.  The chest was still marked for melting, so if I had put the melting job on repeat, it would have quietly consumed charcoal ad infinatum.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, 05:00:29 pm »

Heh heh.

"The Infinite Heat Sink."

Now to train my military...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 06:37:02 am »

Heh heh.

"The Infinite Heat Sink."

Now to train my military...

Just remember to use magma.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 07:25:16 am »

Hyndis, if you happen to have a fort that's currently doing this, it might be interesting data to get even a rough count of how many of each type of furniture is in your stockpiles and smelters. I'm also curious if you play with economy on, if your forts usually have nobles, or any other differences between a mature fort and an experimental embark group.

The furniture count interests me because if we make a few assumptions, namely that you produce even numbers of equally likely to not be masterwork furniture, looking at your refuse could give a vague estimate of the odds of a chest being smelted versus a cabinet or whatever. If it's very low, it could potentially be a random glitch- the chests are being smelted based on no vermin being in their tile, or something. If it's pretty high, it would have to be a more obscure but stable factor- the chests are being smelted when you have a dungeon master, for instance.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 11:24:03 am »

Yup, I only bother to produce metal furniture when the fort is mature. This means nobles, but I leave the economy turned off.

I'll take a look at it when I can get some free time. In my current fort I just ordered some nickle silver chests to be melted down. They were custom order for a noble who liked nickle silver, but that noble had gone insane and flung himself off into the magma pit, so there is no need to keep those chests around anymore.

However when I last saved the game, I only ordered them to be melted down, then saved and exited right after that, so they haven't actually been melted yet. I'll keep an eye on them.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 05:19:25 pm »

Hyndis, if you happen to have a fort that's currently doing this, it might be interesting data to get even a rough count of how many of each type of furniture is in your stockpiles and smelters.

As luck would have it, I just ran into this problem in Morul's fort. I have an exceptional steel chest that has brought my melting operation to a standstill. It's a magma forge, so no loss of material, but the furnace operator is 11 degrees of legendary (you can imagine the volumes of armor that he's melting due to Morul).

I cancelled the job, marked the chest to not melt, and set the process going again. I'm reasonably sure I've melted chests before, but at the same time I designated it to be melted sometime before I took this break so it's been some months and I don't remember why I designated it (probably to just get rid of any non-masterwork furniture) or how many got designated as such, but it should be quite a few - more than a dozen based on the number of actual masterwork chests the fortress has.

I can give you information on the fortress details and sometime in the not too distant future an upload to play with. I can assure you that vermin specifically isn't a problem as Morul extincted almost all of it - especially the fire snakes which is what would be in that area.

Edit:

And he just hit a 2nd steel chest that refused to melt. Same as above.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:21:19 pm by Martin »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2009, 06:58:59 pm »

My chest that was not smelted, even though the job was marked complete and the fuel was consumed, was in a fortress as follows.

Year this occurred:  About 15th.
Economy: Off.
Room Rent: Off.
Nobles Present: Baron, Baroness, Tax Collector, Hammerer, Dungeon Master, and of course Mayor and appointed officials except for Captain of the Guard.
# Smelters: 1.
Avg # jobs queued for smelter in any given year: 10 - 15.
Avg # vermin inside smelter building: 0.
Inventory of coke: 344.
Inventory of charcoal: 11.
Distance of smelter to coke & charcoal: about 6 - 12 tiles.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.
Pages: 1 [2]