Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Damn kids stealing fey moods.  (Read 1771 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Damn kids stealing fey moods.
« on: December 26, 2009, 09:59:28 pm »

I just looked over my unit list to look for wildlife to butcher and noticed that the most experienced mason in my entire fort is a child.
Despite the fact that there is already a designated mason, I am forced (by OCD) to give the little brat the custom profession of "Grand Mason," which allows him a reserved mason's shop and personal engraved room.
At least I can use dwarf manager to make him useful...

holic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damn kids stealing fey moods.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 10:32:37 pm »

Yeah I have a child who became a legendary stonecrafter but all he does is haul food. Now I get paranoid every time a snatcher comes.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 11:38:50 pm »

Does anyone know if failed moods count against your 'mood total'?  The reason I ask is because it might be worth it to just lock those kids into the workshop and let them go mad, that way your weapon/armor smith might actually have a chance at getting one of those moods.  I don't need yet another legendary stonecrafter.  I get one from my first years worth of trade goods, I really don't need 4 more.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 01:18:51 am »

Actually, Stonecrafters are good. They clear out stone, and a masterwork craft is nothing to sneeze at when it comes to trading.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 01:35:47 am »

To each his own, I suppose.  I'd much rather spend the time setting up a chain of workshops to pump out green and clear glass gems which get turned into decorations and trade one bin of gaudy glass-encrusted mugs (there's no way that's fun to drink out of), rather than select 40,000 DB worth of 120 DB value crafts.  A good setup lasts forever - as does repetitive stress disorder from hitting 'down, enter' 200 times every time there are traders.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 09:36:57 am »

Does anyone know if failed moods count against your 'mood total'?  The reason I ask is because it might be worth it to just lock those kids into the workshop and let them go mad, that way your weapon/armor smith might actually have a chance at getting one of those moods.  I don't need yet another legendary stonecrafter.  I get one from my first years worth of trade goods, I really don't need 4 more.

There is an artifact total, not mood total. What failed mood does is like every other mood. It will simply reset your mood countdown meter.

The artifact total is determined by exposed tiles and number of produced stuff. The formula is in the wiki. Failed mood will not affect your artifact limit, it will just take a bit longer to get more artifacts.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Fastler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 09:37:59 am »

A good setup lasts forever - as does repetitive stress disorder from hitting 'down, enter' 200 times every time there are traders.

That is what bins are for.
I hear if you combine them with dwarven syrup you can make rhesus pieces.

There are no Kangaroos in Austria. Trust me.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 11:34:09 am »

But I don't want to sell my bins, just what's inside the bins.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 11:36:53 am »

A good setup lasts forever - as does repetitive stress disorder from hitting 'down, enter' 200 times every time there are traders.

That is what bins are for.

Here's a little AutoHotKey Script I adapted for trade.
Code: [Select]
ifWinActive Dwarf Fortress
{
     DEL::
     Send {Enter}
     Send {Down}
     return
}

Press and hold del, easy pie.
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 11:42:38 am »

There is an artifact total, not mood total. What failed mood does is like every other mood. It will simply reset your mood countdown meter.

The artifact total is determined by exposed tiles and number of produced stuff. The formula is in the wiki. Failed mood will not affect your artifact limit, it will just take a bit longer to get more artifacts.

The next mood usually waits for the current failed mood dwarf to die, but this isn't always the case.

If you want the kids to get a typical skill mood, you can use Dwarf Manager or Dwarf Therapist to have the kid or kids make a couple stuff in a workshop of your choice (not sure about stuff like engraving or encrusting though), but even then its random.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 02:41:03 pm »

I usually have a single trap just outside of the doorway of each workshop.

Once the dwarf gathers up all of the materials and I don't like what I see, I forbid and reclaim everything.

This removes the ability for the dwarf to complete the artifact, and so the dwarf will eventually go insane. Should the dwarf go berserk their rage will quickly be ended by an obsidian boulder falling on his head.

Not too long after that another dwarf will into another mood, and hopefully that dwarf will be wiser in deciding what to make.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 02:47:31 pm »

I agree, stone crafters from moods are annoying. I'd much rather get something useful.

Besides, plant-fiber crafts are better than stone crafts.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.