Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Increasing Seige Intensity  (Read 2156 times)

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Increasing Seige Intensity
« on: December 26, 2009, 09:52:09 pm »

Is there something specific I should add to an entities abilities, birth rates, etc that would make their siegers more numerous. I see the modding involved that can make them stronger, but that isn't as interesting.

I imagine a huge month long ordeal. Waves and waves of goblins march into the main entrance, under continuous catapult battery, walking into the main area, where crossbow dwarves fire in from above, melee units hold them off as long as they can and any minor event can push the tide of battle in either direction. Massive 10+ squad (or 5ish squads of many more goblins) sieges put this fortress in nearly perpetual lock-down. Wounded are piling up, and the front line is thinning out. Bolts are running low, food is being rushed to the scene continuously, as champions may die of hunger the battle is so long.

This is what I want.

So is there any way to make a siege have more units or more squads? Contrarily, is there a way to reduce the time in between each siege, so they occur more often, say once or twice a month?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 10:16:54 pm by madjoe5 »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing Seige Intensity
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 10:34:29 pm »

More wealth brings in more gobbos, though what you are asking for would require them to be an actual match for your trained dwarves.

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 10:52:42 pm »

Heck, I'd be happy with more heads to bash. Screw being a match, that's not cool. Goblins are puny and get thrown into a wall other goblins.

holic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 10:58:53 pm »

It would be pretty pimp if the goblins brought a caged dragon or something and then just let it free when they get close.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 11:21:31 pm »

Sieges consist of sets of squads of 16 units each. Those units can be mounted if the sieging civilization has access to appropriate mounts, and may include extra creatures, likewise. So humans can ride horses, and goblins can ride beak dogs and bring trolls along with them.

There seems to be a practical cap on siege size of 6-8 squads; at least, I've not heard of anyone ever getting more than that many. Likewise, you only get one siege per civ per season.

It seems to me that your best bet for getting really huge sieges is to mod the game to include lots of hostile civs that all siege during all seasons.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 12:40:01 am »

My suggestion for whoever wants gobbos to bring other vicious creature would be to find the coding that allows them to bring trolls and add that tag to your other creature. The reason goblins rarely bring trolls is because their civs rarely have access to them, but if you alter that tag (I'd assume its possible) to allow more common savage creatures that live near the goblins to be brought along, you would definitely get more interesting sieges. Alternatively, you could change the tags on the trolls to make them more likely to live in areas the goblins prefer.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 04:03:35 am »

I don't see anything in the RAWs that would allow goblins to bring or trolls to be brought, so I'd guess it's hardcoded. Increasing troll availability might work, though.

Extra civs will also help, assuming they survive worldgen, but individual sieges will still be limited in quantity and probably too sparse to achieve a "wave" or "constant siege" feel.

There isn't really any way to get what you described in an individual siege, but you might be able to get passably close by modding goblins to be insanely hard to kill, then structuring your map so that, on average, each squad that enters the map takes a different amount of time to reach the fighting area. The mass slaughter effect you're looking for isn't possible, but the constant fighting could be approximated by making your dwarves work longer at each individual enemy, even if those enemies still can't really hurt your dwarves.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 07:24:09 am »

If you want harder sieges, the poor man's solution is to make multiple copies of [ENTITY:EVIL] (making sure to rename them;  it'd also help if you divided the max civ number so you don't get a world with 90% goblin civs that kill everyone else during worldgen) then generate a new world.  For every hostile sieging entity type you should get one more sieging civ.

For example, having two copies of [ENTITY:EVIL] (let's call them EVIL2 and EVIL3) will give you three times as many goblins in fortress mode.  This includes thieves, ambushers, and siegers.  You can tweak the entity tags if you, say, don't want the extra thieves.  AFAIK the ambush squads are tied to [BABYSNATCHER], but you can add the [AMBUSHER] tag to one of them to compensate (they'll act like elven ambushes).  [SIEGER] will yield sieges with campfires (as with humans).  Those sieges may be larger or smaller than standard goblin sieges.  I never paid that much attention.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 12:20:14 pm »

Just FYI - catapults suck. I had a legendary siege operator using an exceptional quality catapult completely fail to hit any of the five lizardmen 20 squares away from him after firing for three seasons. Plenty of his shots got through, but none of them were even hurt. Sorry to spoil your fantasy.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 12:46:24 pm »

I somehow recall that a player once mentioned in some thread how they got a siege of over 500 goblins, led by the demon in charge.

It was a goblin civ that had hit it big during worldgen, so they had fortresses all over. So, maybe the amount of cities affects the number of siege enemies as well?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 01:52:49 pm »

I somehow recall that a player once mentioned in some thread how they got a siege of over 500 goblins, led by the demon in charge.

It was a goblin civ that had hit it big during worldgen, so they had fortresses all over. So, maybe the amount of cities affects the number of siege enemies as well?

I don't even think demons can lead sieges.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 01:57:45 pm »

I don't see why not. It's simply a civ leader. Just like the elite bowman who steps up in line after a dwarf shoots the demon with a bolt to the face.

Whether the demon would actually fight though, now there's a question. Although since it's a demon, it probably would path straight to your dwarves and start making mincemeat out of them if at all possible.

Arvidsem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 02:33:54 pm »

But the real question is how do you make sure that the golbins show up with that 6-8 squads, instead of 2 squads.

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 03:14:04 pm »

But the real question is how do you make sure that the golbins show up with that 6-8 squads, instead of 2 squads.

Capture them in cage traps and insert them into an arena with your military. >_> (Basically making an artificial siege, of sorts. Not quite what you're looking for, I suppose, but close maybe?)

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 07:23:19 pm »

Well, you could try modding in something like Orcs...
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.
Pages: [1] 2