Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fancy Magma Foundry showoff  (Read 1170 times)

Rorax

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Straight Man
    • View Profile
Fancy Magma Foundry showoff
« on: December 26, 2009, 11:03:27 am »

Just wanted to show off the magma foundry I made for my new mega-project fortress, after spending a good three hours on it :S I call it the crucible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The walls are chalk (mostly) however I wish they were something like obsidian.
The Magma channels are lined with iron, the stair case is also iron, the 4 smelters 2 glassmakers, kiln and three forges are all iron.

The doors are gold. The pillars in the "great hall" portion are also gold.

And there are 16 windows :D

Note: there are no stockpiles in there at the moment because I didn't want to cover up the detailing.

And I really do wish those chalk walls were something dark like obsidian/gabbro/jet/basalt.

It's very dwarfenly in my opinion. Completely elaborate, huge and unnecessary.

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels task: Interrupted by Vomit
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
Re: Fancy Magma Foundry showoff
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 11:29:37 am »

Is it supposed to look like a Catholic cross?

I like it, anyway. Very aesthetically pleasing :D

Is that a tileset? I can't even tell anymore. The diagonal walls aren't in ASCII (yet?) are they?
There was a signature here. Now it's gone.

;__;

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 12:18:41 pm »

Is that a tileset? I can't even tell anymore. The diagonal walls aren't in ASCII (yet?) are they?
It's a tileset.

Also, that is a SUPERB looking foundry area. I like it. I don't put enough fancy shit in my fort, and I should.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 12:23:04 pm »

It's a Celtic cross!

Nice.  ;D
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 12:24:31 pm »

It's a Celtic Christian cross. And nice design, despite the diagonal passages. I'm no fan of them. It feels unnatural.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Rorax

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Straight Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 05:04:28 pm »

by diagonal I suppose you mean the "tapered" three rooms at the top? yeah, I blame my tileset, Normally it's pretty good, but oddly enough, it ruins the illusion of a curve after they smooth it :S

In actull fact, all paths are orthogonal in the foundry, and if you mean the ring in the cross? totally aesthetic, it's an inaccessible lava pit for the share hell of it, there are windows tho! so the dwarves can take a peek out at the share amount of lava-ry death thats below them.

And yup it's a Celtic cross, I thought it was an interesting design to try and build in dwarf land :P the magma channels were dug in such a ways as to try and mimic the Celtic banding on the cross.

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 05:31:48 pm »

I think he meant the path to the forges that are diagonal over diagonal rivers of magma.  I like how you've done that, I wouldn't've thought of it myself!  Both the magma and dwarves can flow over different levels.  And the whole thing looks really good, if a bit patchy with the colours if you don't mind me saying.  :P

Not having delved much into the world of magma, I don't know myself, but wouldn't the heat from the the magma rivers below sizzle the dwarves above?  Or do you need a more enclosed space?  It'd be great having a scenic magma feature in a fortress but I'm afraid of killing the workers with the heat.

Oh, and why the one tile of channel above the northern-most door? I'm intrigued.
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

Rorax

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Straight Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 02:55:36 am »

Ah! thats not a channel in the northern part :P Thats a fly, flies tend to gather around lava streams for some reason... probably has to do with the generalised "Strem of liquid" enviromental scenario.

And lava is totally safer than people make it out to be, although I do have alot of practice with the stuff, after making many many different lava-ry type things.

regarding heat from below? naw, all adjacent tiles to lava are cool enough for dwarves to get by un harmed, doesn't even produce unhappy thoughts! Because there isn't true heat physics in the game, the heat from the lava doesn't turn that place into a boiler room fortunately. Don't even need vents!

And a lava feature is fine, unlike water you can even drop it from a higher source and it won't fill higher than the level it drops to. The only exception to this is a bug caused by pumps, where if the lava is /pumped/ from a higher level, then it will raise to the level of the pump.

So go ahead and make yourself lava features! Hell my foundry doesn't even have a drainage system because there will never be any risk of it flooding with lava. Unless I purposefully do it :P

holic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 04:00:45 am »

Dwarf Fortress = Art

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 05:59:39 am »

Hell my foundry doesn't even have a drainage system because there will never be any risk of it flooding with lava. Unless I purposefully do it :P

There's never any risk of flooding my fort with water either, but i still put drainage in. why? operator error :P

Water is handled much, mcuh more than lava too. Magma is usally fire and foget, as none is consumed, and moving it about is rare.
Magma is overrated.