Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF changes your entire outlook on life  (Read 2661 times)

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF changes your entire outlook on life
« on: December 26, 2009, 04:02:18 am »

I continually want to dig into mountains near me and dont see a problem with making a giant underground complex even though i know it must be unfeasible if they havent done it already haha but DF has convinced me its not only possible its profitable. I was watching Two towers and when the elves were leaving the first thing that came to my mind was, 'i hope some of them die here so we get elf bones cause once their gone no more elf bones'.

So i live in hawaii--could i dig into a mountain here? what would i find? i mean there must be a chance that i could fine metal or gems.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: DF changes your entire outlook on life
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 04:08:29 am »

Isn't Hawaii a volcanic island? You'd probably find lots of obsidian! A lovely place for a fort, if you ask me.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

EnDSchultz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 04:28:52 am »

Just bear in mind that, unfortunately, running the local seawater through pumps will not actually desalinate it.

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 07:54:24 am »

And here i was hoping...

For me, when i play other games with dwarves in it (i.e. dragon age dwarven noble origin, my guy's name is Urist), i invariably want to play DF.
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 08:33:33 am »

I'm looking into a mining/geology degree. As far as gems and metals in Hawaii, not going to happen due to the fact that it is volcanic, like doomshifter said. Maybe diamonds. Tiny, tiny diamonds. Wait, nevermind, diamonds form in igneuos intursive layers where carbon is present. So no, nothing but obsidian.  :P
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 09:09:06 am »

And magma.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 10:49:40 am »

and HFS!!!

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 12:53:03 pm »

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 01:07:03 pm »

And here i was hoping...

For me, when i play other games with dwarves in it (i.e. dragon age dwarven noble origin, my guy's name is Urist), i invariably want to play DF.
I recall in Dragon Age, my first thought upon entering the Dwarvern city was "there is no way anyone in here is gonna match the dwarves of Dwarf Fortress."

Spoiler: Dragon Age spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 01:08:57 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 01:17:06 pm »

Olivine, and with it some peridot. That's what the green sands are colored with. That's your best bet for prospecting, besides coral, and it isn't a very good one, since the gem quality stones are very rare there. You might find some quartz or feldspar crystals with the basalt, but they'll mostly be very small. You might also find gypsum in certain places, but that's not really too interesting.

Other than that there are countless minerals that are formed by volcanic activity that aren't covered by DF. These are really only interesting to geologists, since for the most part they end up forming very small crystals, or are very photo- or hydro-chemically unstable, or are otherwise unsuited to be used as gemstone.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 06:23:06 pm »

Hahaha damn, i love how DF totally colors your idea of what you'll find if you ever go digging somewhere. I know absolutely nothing about geology yet i'd prolly totally go into a lecture about whats in the ground and everyone would listen and believe. You know if i was rich i'd buy a hill then totally hollow the thing out and make it a house--is that legal? or would everyone try to stop me?(goblins/police same thing!).

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 10:16:32 pm »

You know if i was rich i'd buy a hill then totally hollow the thing out and make it a house--is that legal? or would everyone try to stop me?(goblins/police same thing!).
http://www.undergroundhousing.com/ - for a long time I wanted to do it myself. Supposedly it's a lot cheaper because you don't have to worry too much about outer weather shielding, just rot damage, which can easily be circumvented by using synthetic materials and scorched planks. Of course there might be zoning laws in Hawaii that restrict this kind of thing, so I really have no idea.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 10:59:54 pm »

Holy shit that book just screams to me--channeled ceiling with a farm under it with closeable hatches FUCK YEAH.

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 12:04:03 am »

Holy shit that book just screams to me--channeled ceiling with a farm under it with closeable hatches FUCK YEAH.

Do you really want to take structural engineering advice from the man who wrote this book?

http://www.undergroundhousing.com/images/Y2KMed.jpg

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 02:41:39 am »

Hahaha we should all build our homes like bunkers, you never know when aliens or civil war will validate your actions! aliens you say? shit do you really wanna take that chance or do you want to be one of the running screaming humans who get slaughtered by them? I mean whats the chance of your fortress getting attacked by a dragon? very small! but if you dont build that moat with draw bridge then hes going to bust down your doors and set everyone on fire.

Be prepared, stay alive.
Pages: [1] 2