Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Puzzle Fortress Idea  (Read 1302 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Puzzle Fortress Idea
« on: December 26, 2009, 03:25:07 am »

Not sure whether to put this in Dwarf Mode or Adventure Mode forum, but I had a cool idea for a fortress to make in Dwarf Mode that would be fun for someone to explore in adventure mode:

It would be a series of glass tubes (like the rat maze tubes you can buy at the pet store).  Some would be filled with water, and some not.  At various places there would be pumps you could operate to move water from one tube to a different tube, but you cannot really get rid of the water; you'd just be blocking a different tube as you open the new one.  It's a puzzle because next you may need to access the lever the tunnel you just flooded, so there is a certain order you need to pump out or flood the tunnels to advance deeper into the fortress to get the treasure.

Anyone ever play the old computer game Myst?  This would be a lot like Myst.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzle Fortress Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 03:48:38 am »

I'm looking forward to this... a maze for adventurer to go into to retrive some great Armor and weapons. To bad that it is impossible to add some creatures waiting there. It would be so nice, you pull wrong lever and 3 ogres swoop at you :D... also I suggest that the labirynth would be separated from the Fortress.

It's gonna be extremely hard to create good puzzle maze. Someone need to design it well and build quite a fortress (forging ect.) so there would be some nice items as a reward. It's beyond my current dwarf skills to build such a place myself, so I'm really looking forward to download your maze :]
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 05:03:22 am »

damn i want a dungeon editor for adventure mode...
like fortress mode but instant and without the dorfs, and EVERYTHING available to you.
Then this would be possible...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 06:05:58 am »

You'd either need sand or you'd need to import a TON of gems in order to make the visibly transparent water containers...  but it sounds like a really great engineering project.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 10:00:21 am »

like fortress mode but instant and without the dorfs, and EVERYTHING available to you.

You should make it a suggestion.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 12:36:00 pm »

A very cool idea. I wondered about this myself once. I'm sure going through Mist and Riven again you could find some other cool puzzle ideas to fit in there.

You should make it a suggestion.

I believe someone did; I haven't seen it on the Suggestions forum in a while though. I personally disagreed with it because it largely invalidates the work of those who make impressive things in fortress mode, and for those who want to test science (which is what the original suggestion was about), it's easy enough to embark where you need to with mechanics and masons and just ignore your dwarves' needs completely while you test things.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 12:48:41 pm »

Why water? Why not magma?

also I suggest that the labirynth would be separated from the Fortress.
I disagree. Make it the entrance to the fortress.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 08:56:41 pm »

I believe someone did; I haven't seen it on the Suggestions forum in a while though. I personally disagreed with it because it largely invalidates the work of those who make impressive things in fortress mode, and for those who want to test science (which is what the original suggestion was about), it's easy enough to embark where you need to with mechanics and masons and just ignore your dwarves' needs completely while you test things.

Yea but you can always just modify dwarves to have speed 1.
And you cant control where hostile creatures are put in your fortress.
It would allow for much easier way of making things that would be much difficult or impossible in normal fortress mode.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

pubby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 10:03:08 pm »

It would be a series of glass tubes