Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: GeneRTD Turn 36!  (Read 22222 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GeneRTD Turn 31! Pillow_Killer, a hero gone missing!
« Reply #330 on: December 05, 2010, 10:03:28 pm »

Now that I have its attention I will fend it off with my sword while the others continue to fire.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: GeneRTD Turn 31! Pillow_Killer, a hero gone missing!
« Reply #331 on: December 05, 2010, 10:04:18 pm »

Oh hey, I forgot to give the monster a chance to eat you; I'll fix that in the morning.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: GeneRTD Turn 32! 1 Spot Open
« Reply #332 on: December 19, 2010, 11:17:57 pm »

Turn 32!

Wait for the constable to come, then explain everything.
You wait some time and the constable arrives, along with several officers. They arrest Kelburn on the spot, for the crimes he doesn't remember committing. You hand the constable the letter, proving the Lady's guilt. [1] He, and every other officer in the room, dumps the contents of their stomachs onto the floor. [4] He manages to survive, however, and informs you that you will be paid for your services, so long as you promise never to use that letter in his presence again. He then thanks you for your efforts, and tells you to meet him back at the station for your reward.

>Open up my menu to see what COMBAT OPERANDIs I have.
[4]At the moment, you appear to have three general orders you can give: Aggress, Abscond, and Agitate. Your men ask you for orders, and quickly, as half a dozen kobold soldiers rush out from the cave, clad in their high-tech flint armor.

So you are high elves?  This day just keeps getting more and more interesting.

Protection of the village? Do you mean going out to destroy an evil abomination or such? Yes, it must be. I know how these things work. It starts small but then builds up to the great evil. It's how it always works. Done it before, Will likely do it again.

(Thinks this over.)

I would be willing to do it, yes.

The problem here, of course, is that I am a freelancer/mercenary. I require payment, But while I'm sure that you might be able to afford a gold cost, Going out and defeating some sort of great dark power that weakened the old kingdom? I think I would require a little more than coinage.

Your people once wielded great magics, correct? And it has been many centuries since you fell.

(Ponders this)

Yes, I think this will work nicely. In exchange for my services, I require payment in the secrets of magic. Surely you have some great book of knowledge stashed somewhere that you can no longer decipher or use? Perhaps a dormant weapon of great power?

Of course, If I'm blowing this entirely out of proportion, and the task is minor, then a small fee will do.

"Oh I assure you, there is no evil abomination. Not yet." The elf states. "However, the task is highly dangerous, I will not lie to you about it. As it happens, the task I would send you on would allow you to acquire the artifact you seek."

"Uncle, you don't mean--"

"Silence, boy!" The old elf shouted. "Far to the north, near the Ice Walls of the Frozen Marsh, lies the ruins of the great elven city Nargathrush. It was one of the first cities to fall during the decline of our empire, to the barbarians from beyond the Frozen Veil, the ice fields that separate our land from whatever lies to the north. In it lies an old artifact, which our historians know as The Gear. We do not know what it does, but we do know that it was a vital component in maintaining the empire. We think it might be able to restore the cloak that you pierced, or at least give us the strength to defend ourselves if we are attacked. As it happens, Nargathrush is also the city that housed the Grand Library, a collection of all the High Elves' knowledge. If anything can give you the answers you seek, it is in that library."

Now that I have its attention I will fend it off with my sword while the others continue to fire.
You charge the beast and begin to swing away. [3+1][5][6] You slice open the creature's belly, causing it much anguish and giving your kobolds the time they need to open fire. [6+1][3+1][1]; [4+1][4][5] Stinky misses his shot, but Inkblot sees the perfect opportunity to fire, and sends a bolt right into the beast's quivering innards. It drops dead, leaving your cheering little troop the victors, against all odds. (Inkblot: +1 to Crossbow)

Unfortunately, no sooner do you succeed before a tiny little messenger runs up, and squeaks out a message: the caves are under attack by a band of humans!

Spoiler: Pillow_Killer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Frelock (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: inteuniso (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RAM (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RedWarrior0 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: dermonster (click to show/hide)
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: GeneRTD Turn 32! *1 Spot Open*
« Reply #333 on: December 19, 2010, 11:24:33 pm »

AGGRIEVE. Smite the kobold menace bringing the fury of the gods upon them!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 19, 2010, 11:40:01 pm »

Nargathush? It still exists? My, this is truly a grand day.

Indeed, access to the grand library would definitely be acceptable payment.

(Draws up a contract on a scroll. One 'The Gear' found and transferred to ownership of the remnants of the High elves in exchange for: Access to the great city of Nargathush and its Grand Library.)

Please sign here. Thank you.

Now lets get down to the specifics.

First off, I need to know what this 'Gear' looks like. A picture or a sketch would be preferable. Judging by the name, I would expect a mechanical device, but I would like to know the exact measurements and looks.

The great city has not been on any mapmakers criteria for many a decade. A more concrete map to the city would be a great addition to the journey. As well as an actual map of the city, though I doubt you have one.

Most Importantly, the natural defenses of the city and access to the library. Great cities usually have great defenses, and though time and a few rare pillager's have perhaps worn them down, I would prefer not to deal with them. Is there a way to bypass these defenses, if they exist?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 20, 2010, 01:24:45 am »

"Those Filthy vermin attacked while we were away, we will not let this stand! *schlorcht* We will take this beasts head back and celebrate with our people, and maybe the humans will grant us a chance to see what this poison does..."

Get head, apply monster poison to one bolt for each of my companions, use magic to disguise my band as humans, but the disguise will wear off if tey attack anyone, return to kobold town
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 20, 2010, 01:26:45 am »

Return to the station, receive reward, then talk to my kobold friend about his history.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 21, 2010, 04:30:43 pm »

Wait, what? This updated? A TURN AGO?

Obviously I am still active so Investigate the barking sounds.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 21, 2010, 06:26:45 pm »

Okay that's all five of you, but Pillow_Killer's been nowhere to be seen.

In case the title was misleading in any way possible, there is room for another player. I'll make a new turn later tonight unless I don't.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: GeneRTD Turn 33! 1 Spot Open
« Reply #339 on: December 22, 2010, 01:41:07 pm »

Turn 33!

Quote from: RedWarrior0
AGGRIEVE. Smite the kobold menace bringing the fury of the gods upon them!
You line your men up, and charge the rat-like menace, feeling particularly foolhardy. [2+2][6][4] You bring your great hammer down on the closest of the kobolds, his flint helmet splintering and sending shards of stone, bone, and brain everywhere. He falls to the ground dead. His squad leader starts chittering furiously.

[5+1][2]; [4+1][5][6] Phil and Tim fire their crossbows, Tim managing to get a bolt right between a kobold's eyes, dropping him to the ground.

[3+1][2]; [4+1][5][2] Thug and Utha attack as well, but Thug's moves are too slow to hit the kobolds, and Utha's only strike does negligible damage. (Tim, +1 to Crossbow!)

Quote from: dermonster
Nargathush? It still exists? My, this is truly a grand day.

Indeed, access to the grand library would definitely be acceptable payment.

(Draws up a contract on a scroll. One 'The Gear' found and transferred to ownership of the remnants of the High elves in exchange for: Access to the great city of Nargathush and its Grand Library.)

Please sign here. Thank you.

Now lets get down to the specifics.

First off, I need to know what this 'Gear' looks like. A picture or a sketch would be preferable. Judging by the name, I would expect a mechanical device, but I would like to know the exact measurements and looks.

The great city has not been on any mapmakers criteria for many a decade. A more concrete map to the city would be a great addition to the journey. As well as an actual map of the city, though I doubt you have one.

Most Importantly, the natural defenses of the city and access to the library. Great cities usually have great defenses, and though time and a few rare pillager's have perhaps worn them down, I would prefer not to deal with them. Is there a way to bypass these defenses, if they exist?
The old elf nods and signs the contract. It's written in a script you can't understand, but you assume it is his name in Elvish. He then answers your questions in order.

"We would give you an interpretation of the gear, but as it happens our only artist is off on a raid somewhere." He turned to give yet another disapproving look at his nephew, then continued. "But I can describe it. We assume the name Gear is symbolic, as from what we know it looks nothing like a gear. Rather, it's a bright blue orb, that could likely fit in the palm of your hand. It is said to have a green center, and be piercingly cold to the touch. That, however, is all we know of its physical properties."

"Alas, the only maps of the city would likely be in the Grand Library. If you managed to make it there, I'm sure you would be able to find one. A map to the city, however, we can provide you with." He gets up and leaves the room, absent for about five minutes. He returns with an old scroll in his hands, which he gives to you. "It might be a bit outdated, this map was made over a century ago, but it should give you a basic idea of how to get there."

"The traps of Nargathrush are extensive and deadly, but as far as we know completely inert when an elf is present. That is why my nephew Glendil will be going with you."

"What?!" The young elf cries in protest. "Uncle, surely you cannot expect me to cooperate with these lesser beings!"

"You will bite that tongue, Nephew, or choke on it!" The old man said in a much harsher tone than before. "I've watched you for years talk of how great our people were, and how you will bring glory back to the elves! Well, here is your chance boy. Help this man retrieve the Gear and you'll have the recognition you seek!"

Glendil moved to speak again, but he sighed and bowed his head submissively. "Very good." The old man said. "Of course, none of what I say matters unless our guest here will have you."

Quote from: RAM
"Those Filthy vermin attacked while we were away, we will not let this stand! *schlorcht* We will take this beasts head back and celebrate with our people, and maybe the humans will grant us a chance to see what this poison does..."

Get head, apply monster poison to one bolt for each of my companions, use magic to disguise my band as humans, but the disguise will wear off if tey attack anyone, return to kobold town
After applying the poison, you cast your spell. [3+1] As it happens, your spell works, and your band becomes what appear to be very gangly, large-nosed humans. With the head in tow, you march back into town only to be stopped by the kobold guards, who are very displeased to have humans attempting to enter one way while other humans attack the front.

[1] Your messenger, as it happens, never saw the transformation you undertook, and never bothered to look back. Once he sees your current forms he shrieks in terror, and yells "Oh no, they must have killed them and snuck up on us! Save us, guards!"

This plan was... poorly executed.

Quote from: Frelock
Return to the station, receive reward, then talk to my kobold friend about his history.
You and your koboldian pal walk into the station, and are sent to the Chief's office. He's smoking a pipe while you enter, and he bows to you curtly.

"Gotta say, dwarf, you did good. Honheim always was harpy, but nobody 'round here assumed she was capable of murder. On such a large scale, anyway. But, I'm rambling. Here, take this." He gives you ten gold coins, and a rolled up piece of parchment. "It's a Letter of Marque I received from the local Duke while you were away." He stated. "Any raids you conduct on our nations' enemies will now be considered an act of service to our country, legal according to our laws, and subject to reward as the nobles see fit. If you need anything else, let me know and I'll see what I can do."

You then leave the station and have a quick conversation with your Kobold friend to see what he's all about. "M-my name's Bubsnik. Orphan from cave to south of here. Got lost during biig battle with other kobolds, so I ran to this place. Been trying to get job, but nobody hires kobolds, so I steal food to eat."

Quote from: inteuniso
Investigate the barking sounds.
[6] You stumble through the forest a bit, in search of anything interesting, when out of nowhere you find yourself in a little clearing. A pristine farmhouse is bathed in sunlight, off to the side you see a little patch of all sorts of vegetables growing. Out at the edge of the clearing is a small orchard of various fruit trees. You can now clearly hear the bleating of sheep, though from where you do not know. As you approach, a black collie dog races around the corner of the house and runs up to you, barking and panting in joy at the thought of a new visitor.

As he jumps up and tries to reach your face to lick it, you hear a loud, deep voice shout "Oh? Hey, hey! Who's out there? Who'd you find today, girl?" Around the same way the dog came, you see a youthful looking man., though the age you cannot tell. He wears a long blue coat that falls down to about his ankles, and under it a pristine white tunic and pants. "Who's this stranger, then?" He asks.

Enemies:
Quote from: The Dai-Kobold Brigade
Avenge their comrades deaths!
The kobolds charge, squeaking in angry voices. [6+1][6][4] Their leader strikes first, his weapon bashing its way through Red's armor, and bruising up his organs a bit. (+1 to Mace)

The other three focus on Thug, who they see as the greatest threat for some odd reason. [3+1][6][6]; [3+1][1]; [3+1][4][6] Thug attempts to block one of the kobolds' blows with his hammer, which he succeeds in, only for another to bring its spear up and slice into his stomach. He coughs up blood as it decimates his innards, and smacks the kobold away. As he gasps to catch his breath, the third one lifts its shovel high and slams it down onto the back of his head, crushing the large man's skull. He falls to the ground dead as the kobolds celebrate their little victory.

Spoiler: Pillow_Killer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Frelock (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: inteuniso (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RAM (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RedWarrior0 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: dermonster (click to show/hide)

Enemies:

Spoiler: The Dai-Kobold Brigade (click to show/hide)

Those Kobolds were originally going to be mooks, but after they killed Thug I had to upgrade them. That was just too cool.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:30:08 pm by CJ1145 »

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: GeneRTD Turn 33! *1 Spot Open*
« Reply #340 on: December 22, 2010, 03:16:44 pm »

Just to let you know, you forgot to add the 10 gold and letter of marque to my inventory.

Well, Bubs, I could you a fellow like yourself in my travels.  Join me, and I will assure you that you shall not go hungry unless the same can be said of I.  And here is your first payment; three gold pieces.

Head out of town on a wild adventure!
All generalizations are false....including this one.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 22, 2010, 03:30:42 pm »

You are correct and it has been remedied.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 22, 2010, 04:11:20 pm »

"Thug?!"

Rage at and ravage the kobolds so hard they think I'm a berserker.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 22, 2010, 06:26:02 pm »

This is strange. I'm somewhat suspicious of this man.
Introduce myself, and ask of him.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 22, 2010, 08:44:22 pm »

Remove the spell, ask to be taken to the humans for the purposes of killing the invaders.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26