Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time passes too quickly!  (Read 2377 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Time passes too quickly!
« on: December 25, 2009, 12:06:09 pm »

Ever since I installed the Mayday tileset, I have had no music, but worse, time seems to pass 5x as fast. Which is good for getting things done, but bad in terms of being ready for goblin siges, etc.

Is there any way I can slow things down a bit? Get my music back?  I really love the graphics, so I am loathe to give it up, but will if I have to.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Time passes too quickly!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 12:20:23 pm »

Set a proper FPS cap in the init file? =/
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 01:00:32 pm »

Ever since I installed the Mayday tileset, I have had no music, but worse, time seems to pass 5x as fast. Which is good for getting things done, but bad in terms of being ready for goblin siges, etc.

Is there any way I can slow things down a bit? Get my music back?  I really love the graphics, so I am loathe to give it up, but will if I have to.

Try increasing the volume in the options from the escape menu, or in the init file.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 01:47:14 pm »

I've always found it a bit odd that the Mayday 'tileset' includes a whole bunch of changes to the game settings. When I first started playing, I installed the Mayday easy pack because I had no idea how to set up a graphic set, and I kept getting confused reading the wiki because the settings I was looking for in my game were different or missing. After two days, I switched it back out. I don't see why you can't take the tileset by itself and use it just like you do for any other tileset without having to accept a whole bunch of other setting changes you haven't approved.

If your FPS cap is 100, that's usually good for when you start off. Your FPS cap shouldn't matter once you get a few years into the game, though; generally by then you've slowed down enough that you want as much FPS as you can get.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 02:00:12 pm »

Mayday's base pack uses d16 instead of the regular DF release, as a result it's faster and has optimizations - and starts with sound off. Sounds like your computer really benefited from the upgrade, if it's going from 20 fps to mayday's 100 fps cap.

I've heard stories of a few people with DF who installed a new version and had no idea there was music :)

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 03:05:06 pm »

I'm guessing you don't know about the ini.txt :)
It's located in your df directory (Where the dwarf fortress.exe is located), then in /data/init there's a file callled init.txt.

Change [SOUND:OFF] to ON, (uppercase is important! (IIRC?)), maybe [VOLUME] to 255 if it's 0.
Scroll in the file until you find [FPS_CAP] and change it to 100, that's the standard.
Now, the [FPS_CAP] controls the max CPU cycles, in a way, not the max GRAPHICAL frames, that's where you'll need [G_FPS_CAP], which is just beneath [FPS_CAP].
You can change [G_FPS_CAP] to 50 or 25 if you feel the dwarves are moving too fast for you.

Hope this helps ;)
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any problems!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 05:42:29 pm »

Correction: lower g_fps yields higher fps, as it affects refresh rate.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 06:18:17 pm »

Step 1: Put computer in spacecraft
Step 2: Accelerate spacecraft to just under c.
As long as you have long enough cables to your monitor and keyboard, DF time should never go too fast again.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 08:51:51 pm »

I've heard stories of a few people with DF who installed a new version and had no idea there was music :)
Yep, downloaded dfg and never knew there was music.
Watched captain ducks tutorials and wondered what the hell that music was from till i learnt it was from the game.

I downloaded the normal df and put the music into dfg and turned all the needed init options on.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!