Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Redundantfort: A Succession Fortress  (Read 13778 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Redundantfort: A Succession Fortress
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 11:41:53 am »

Then, Overspeculated, you should have spotted the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
tag on the orcs, as well as on a few other ones. I hope you will be using that.  8)

Nice, story, by the way. I guess you got lucky in the disaster department (or should I say unlucky?)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:43:28 am by lordnincompoop »

Zeffrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 02:51:53 pm »

I like your taste lord...also BOOO at spoilering the surprises for the rest of usss!!!
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 03:57:22 pm »

This fort is eclectic in its moods. Today was a joyous day, a sad day and horrible day, all at once. It began with the wood burner Zulgar Strappedguilds and the brewer Tun Wipeoars getting married. I, as expedition leader, signed the documents confirming it myself.
The second piece of news that came today was the taking of two lives due to a mistake of mine. A cave in. Being uncareful in my planning I gave orders that should not have been given and two dwarves paid the price. A most terrible mistake, one that I shall try best to never repeat, not whilst I remain in charge.
The worst news of all comes from Solon. His head wound has healed as well as it ever will and he has left his bed. His brain is permanently damaged, making him perhaps more explosive and unpredictable than ever. The fool will not see the error of his ways, just after exiting his bed he designed some new kind of military strategy with Ònul. The result?
To bolster the ranks after this loss, he recruited Olin Speakerdoors into the army. This naive dwarf is goodhearted, but he craves acknowledgement from Solon, despite the latter's poor treatment of him.

Solon will lose hold of the military soon enough, not only has a marksdwarf died since his awakening, but 3 items of clothing have been since stolen by kobold thieves.

=====
I have awakened. Truly awakened. There is no doubt that my wounds have fully and utterly healed, my judgement has completely returned to me. What should I do, now that my freedom has been returned to me atlast?
Butcher. And I'm not just speaking metaphorically, either.
I sought out Ònul, I must assure myself of his loyalty. We briefly spoke and I told him I would be making bone and leather armour for the military. He thought that was a fine idea, then the gores once again stormed the walls of the fort.

A catastrophic attack, one dwarf died, another hospitalised, Ònul himself broke several bones and I was forced to recruit Olin, him being the only one who volunteered and Rith preventing me from drafting the unwilling. The resulting shortage of personnel allowed kobold thieves to sneak off with three of our belongings.

Unhappy, I decided to review the facilities that Rith had been constructing in the second level. I am appalled.
How can any dwarf navigate in this mess? Does she not care for the safety of our dwarves? Why are there beds on the edges of cliffs? There is no rhyme or reason to this construction. And she accuses me of being mad.
I spied Astesh amongst the crowds and tried to approach her, but she avoided me with great skill.
Feeling alone and isolated, crushed, I searched for a bedroom, office and dining room available to me. It would be a while before I found anything in here

-----
This post was mainly just to catch up on everything that happened in the last update that I didn't have time to write down (I didn't actually play). As you can see, dwarves are at the trade depot, so its autumn now (I don't think humans or elves have access to this place, since they never appeared).
The chasm is making for interesting and incredibly fun building, the cave in was caused by a sloppy dig designation. All parts that look like they are smoothed are constructions. Also, the large room to the middle right is going to be a statue garden.

Actually lordnincompoop, I did not see that, and I wonder if it will work the way I think you meant it (enslavement). Anyway, it will make for interesting times.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:59:25 pm by Overspeculated »

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 08:18:28 pm »

Odd!x, why not sign up? We don't have enough players and I will pretty much be spending my entire turn increasing the defences of the fortress, so it won't be that hard anymore (until the orcs arrive atleast, then it will be hella hard).

All right, I plunge headfirst into unfamiliar territory fraught with danger and exploding cats after playing this game for roughly two weeks.  Expect my reign to be shortlived, but I would like a slot.

though if you don't mind me asking a few questions:
A.  how do you take screenshots of the game? I can't use print screen because it just shows up as a square of black in my Paint program

B.  do I need to download all of the fancy mods that are secret?

C.  how do I upload the saved game once I'm done with my turn?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2010, 04:02:50 am »

Odd!x, why not sign up? We don't have enough players and I will pretty much be spending my entire turn increasing the defences of the fortress, so it won't be that hard anymore (until the orcs arrive atleast, then it will be hella hard).

All right, I plunge headfirst into unfamiliar territory fraught with danger and exploding cats after playing this game for roughly two weeks.  Expect my reign to be shortlived, but I would like a slot.

though if you don't mind me asking a few questions:
A.  how do you take screenshots of the game? I can't use print screen because it just shows up as a square of black in my Paint program

B.  do I need to download all of the fancy mods that are secret?

C.  how do I upload the saved game once I'm done with my turn?

For the first: I usually just do with Alt + Print Screen, but the black screen problem...  :o

For the second: At the end of each turn, the player provides a full game, save included, for the next player. That way, you just download it and click the exe. The reason is that we use mods that are not availabe for download.

For the third: Use DFFD

Also, Odd!x, there is a reason things are in spoiler tags. If you don't want to know, don't open it. But, meh, once I get my hands on it, it'll prolly be even further modded.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 05:31:39 am »

thanks for all the help, nincompoop!

though I don't know what you're talking about in the last paragraph; I never had any issues with spoilers  ???

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 06:30:19 am »

though I don't know what you're talking about in the last paragraph; I never had any issues with spoilers  ???
Meaning, if there is a spoiler in a post, you don't necessarily have to look at it.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 10:20:01 am »

Meaning, if there is a spoiler in a post, you don't necessarily have to look at it.
Actually, when I post something with spoiler tags, it means that there is an image inside!
:D

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 04:37:24 pm »

I figured that, it just saves space and scrolling time!

I never have any issue with spoilers anyway, I hate that behavior of "omg spoilers onoz."  At any rate, I'm going to probably need all the help I can get so I'm judiciously studying each of the unusual secrets presented in this thread; I'm going to make a point of not making cat leather, for instance.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 07:50:38 am »

Migrants. Migrants. They bring cats. Pfag. Cats that Rith will not permit me to butcher. Foolish lady.

However, me being great and smart and all that, I spied the migrant who brought a kitten with him from afar and confronted him before he entered the fortress.
"You!" I said, "I am the lord of this place and you shall be our newest soldier!".
He seemed confused "But I'm a metalsmith!"
I informed him that, unless he wanted to be executed for deserting, he would stand right here and look for incoming threats.
So easy to intimidate, dwarves are.

The migrants were accompanied by wagons from the mountainhomes bringing goods for trade. Being clever, me, Vucar, Olin and Ònul snuck in the trade depot and stole all their goods when they weren't looking.
When the traders came to me the next day demanding their goods back, I blamed it on the kobolds. It didn't look like they believed me, but I'll be damned if I let an anvil go to waste simply because we can't afford it!
Metalsmithing operation ahoy!

------
So yeah, I took everything from the dwarves. I really need the anvil, and all our trade goods together amounted to about 230 currency. And the dwarves brought only steel anvils.
Yeah.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2010, 11:01:07 am »

How. Dare. You. Cheat.  >:(

I WILL NOT ALLOW THIS!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:25:35 am by lordnincompoop »

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2010, 12:35:36 pm »

I WILL NOT ALLOW THIS!

Says the guy making all the cats explode.  ;)
Dwarves: Death from Below!

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2010, 01:52:08 pm »

I WILL NOT ALLOW THIS!

Says the guy making all the cats explode.  ;)
Touche, but that was necessary. Without it, this fort would no longer run.

Anyway, I was joking.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:24:53 am by lordnincompoop »

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2010, 03:52:56 pm »

Perhaps it is good that I no longer am the complete authority in the fingers. Rith spent all day today with the tedious task of giving the new migrants bedrooms.
What do I do with my time?
Well, I sit in my room and throw a wood log at the wall to watch it rebound. Yes, I'm back in my room. Technically I'm in a different room, but well, I'm in a room all day. Why? Because I have nothing to do. The dwarves made me in charge of chasing crime. There is no crime. Rith announced that all goods were community goods, and anybody could take what they want. How far the great Solon has fallen. The Fingers of Doom are not even the Fingers of Doom anymore, now, that they have been tamed, and we live in Confusefortress the the God-Forsaken Tower-Fortress of Death. Sure, a wild name, but a name that appears on paper. And bureaucracy makes all dull.
So I spend my days in my room, occasionally I speak to Òlin and ask him what the metalsmith I recruited is doing. He is still alive. As is his pet. Standing alone amongst the trees and the rain.
Rith has chastened me heavily about stealing from the merchants, insisting I must never do so again, as such I have taken upon me the duty of instructing some worthless sod to make mechanisms.

Meanwhile, I often see dwarves staring in wonder at the batmen flying around in the vicinity. So enthralled they are that they have taken to naming them.
All know of my incredible cunning. The sharpness of my… ah to hell with it. Yes. I did it. I killed the batman.
Why? Well, because I wanted to, damnit! The reason I want the dwarves to think I had? So that I can they can feel my power by intruding into their lives. The "official" reason? Because he was a danger. But in reality, I just wanted to kill the batman. There, I said it. I wanted to kill the batman!
Why?
I HATE BATMEN

------
Sorry for the lack of updates. Its just that now that I have things under complete control, nothing is happening. At first I was challenged at every turn (keeping sane, keeping alive, keeping sane, moving up, preventing sobriety and starvation when the migrants arrived, making enough bedrooms) but now that all my tasks are done... :(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:58:44 pm by Overspeculated »

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2010, 06:11:44 am »

The children of the fort are working against me!
I know it!
One apparently has gotten himself possessed by a demon (they already are demons! ). He has claimed the craftsdwarf workshop for himself. This where all the bolts are made that feed the military training regime! And he demands shell of all things! How dare he! Rith has forbidden me from simply killing him and dropping the body into the chasm, for what reason I cannot discern. A child is worthless, it will not work as an adult yet will require the same amount of food and booze as an adult.

The other child has started a party. A very large party by the sound of it, it appears almost the entire fort is partaking in it. Yet I received no invitation.
But ha! I can make my own party, with my own people, yes! The only people I shall invite shall be my closest friends.

Only Olin came. Ònul said he needed to watch out for gores, Fikod was hurt and Vucar was too busy partying. Damn them! So its me and Olin, sitting in the booze stockpile, having some +dwarven rum+.
Suddenly screams come from outside the fortress. Ah.
The gores have returned.
I look out to the southwest from a barricade. I see the metalsmith being torn apart by gores. Olin joins me.
"He looks in pain", Olin says. "He looks unconscious", I point out.
"Well", I correct myself, "he looks dead."
Time for a little kitten to die.

------
Not much else to say than what happened really, we are still in the winter of the first year. I have been making some mechanisms as trade goods and I finally got a well up and running on the second level.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7