Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Redundantfort: A Succession Fortress  (Read 13780 times)

Zeffrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Redundantfort: A Succession Fortress - PEOPLE NEEDED! JOEEN NAO!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 01:18:27 am »

Aight send me a pm to when you want to pass the torch :D also looking good! Also I may have to put a tileset on this badboy, for my turn
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 08:11:33 am »

Why have I jumped to fourth position? I have nothing against with it It's just I wondered why.
When a player is called on to help a player on the level before (as seen here, where there are 2 people on a singe z-level) is called on to help, all the other players behind them are shuffled forward one position to get rid of the gap, unless they requested a specific z-level, in which case they stay. If anyone has something against it, tell me and I'll move you.

And Zeffrin, welcome to the queue. I'll try finish this as soon as possible. By all means, put a tileset, as long as it's square and legible/visible.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:13:18 am by lordnincompoop »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 08:35:10 am »

I'm Vabok. Just Vabok. I used to run this fort.

I took charge of this hellhole after the previous leader went batshit insane. First thing I did was Send Ducim off to find something to help with the kittens, him being such a good runner and all.

He came back with a piece of pipe and said it was from some wizard. Whatever. He lit it and threw it into the  mass of cats. It yielded a big explosion and all the cats died. Good.

A dwarf was within blast range, however, and he ignited. The poor burning moron however, didn't seem to notice a thing, nor was he any the worse for his state, having no burn wounds or injuries at all.

All the dwarvves were heavily affected by the loss of their 300 or so pets, and werea ll miserable. I just set them to work. Eventually, though, I'd need to do something about it, lest they snap. But one snapped already:

And we were forced to dispose of him.

And then I... I... Something... Uh, where am I?

Vabok Ilralzim, Miner has gone stark raving mad!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 07:26:25 am »

The person in charge of our lives here at… I can't quite remember the name of our fort, but that doesn't matter. Anyway, the person in charge of our fort has gone insane. Sadly a very common malady in these lands.
We are five now. One of us has already lead us in times past, but it seems he refuses to do so again, as such they chose me. Probably because I was away eating while they held a meeting without telling me. They all hate me, I know it.
I was told by our still sane retired leader that I should work on the first level until spring comes and then begin and finish the second level. I asked him how I should do that, we are only 5, most of us are miserable and there are bones of cats everywhere. He said I was the leader, I should order him about not ask for advice.

Deciding my top priority was keeping myself drunk, I told Ducim to set up a carpenters workshop and make some barrels. He said he was a miner and didn't know anything about carpenting. I told him everybody left alive was a miner, including myself, although I do count butchering amongst my many talents. Sufficiently frightened he got right to work. Next I instructed our former leader to till the fields. "I'm already doing that!" he said as he lay down his trowel. I told him not to shirk from his duty unless he wanted to meet his end below my cleaver, then I took up the axe and headed for the trees.

I didn't get far. Suddenly, Nincompoop, the former leader who was still sane, started shouting and screaming in a great fury. He charged right at me. Guess he doesn't take well to threats.
Sighing, I struck him down. It made me sad, for it reminded me very much of my lover, who had also gone berserk in these dark times. We are four now, and we need somebody to till the fields. I turned to- WHAT THE HELL
There are three of us left now. I don't know how Rith caught fire, I suspect our former leader (the one that is insane but still alive).
I went to Ducim. He cowered in fear before me. I said to him "Ducim, you will no longer make barrels. Ducim. Ducim, do you hear me? Ducim, I want you to make coffins. I want you to make 6 coffins. You got that? Six. One for me, one for you. One for Astesh, one for he whom I slew. One for the one who went insane, and one for he who caught flame."
Please with my rhetorical skills I started chopping trees. Mark this day. For it is the first of my reign.

-----
Things are not going well. I loaded up the game, made some designations. Immediately afterwards "Lord Nicompoop" went berserk. I sent my character to kill him, which he did. Then Rith suddenly caught fire. I don't know why, and I don't really want to find out. Not a single ingame day has passed. I hope they will somehow survive, but I don't think they will, so I'm probably going to have to reclaim once everybody dies.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 12:46:35 pm »

Woo! You chose Solon!  :D

Aw, man, I got killed. Ah, well, at least I'll get a proper burial. Nice place, though, eh?

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
Re: Redundantfort: A Succession Fortress
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 01:29:46 pm »

I was busy working when Astesh told me Vabok had slipped and fallen down a chasm. Gone chasm-diving so to speak. I told her to tell Ducim he was to make one coffin less, as we could not recover Vaboks corpse and then told her to dig 5 tombs as deep down as we have ever gone. For the heights we may aspire, but as dwarves we shall be lain to rest in the deeps of the earth.
Interestingly enough, Rith, our friend who caught fire, doesn't seem to want to die, despite the flames coming from her hat and hair. She has been running around in circles screaming that high-pitched wail of hers for a couple of days now, its a bit annoying and I have trouble sleeping, Im half a mind to just shove her in the chasm, or in the pond, so she can drown.
Ducim tottered over to me. "The coffins are done!" He said. I told him to help me with erecting them in the tombs. I, of course, get the biggest. He asked why he couldn't get a bigger one, I told him if he took the largest he'd have to use it soon.
That shut him up. Damn, I'm witty.

As we were ascending to the surface we witnessed a miracle. Rith, the dwarf who had been running around screaming and on fire for a couple of days now was reborn. She stood before us, without a single burn mark on her body. Her flaming cap was slightly damaged, but the fire was put out.

Ha! I said, she lives! Rith, your duty here at the fingers will be to make some barrels so I can make us some booze and so we can party! Without a word, she complied, which I thought strange. Ducim pulled on my sleeve. "What about me?" He asked.
I told him to tend to the fields, a duty fit for a hopeless turd like him.
He skulked off.
Well, at least we are four.

I like to think of myself as a wise man. Occasionally as a sociopath, but mainly as a wise man. I understand dwarven culture. I know what dwarves want to be happy. Dwarves don't care about losing family friends or pets, they want a nice bedroom and a nice dining room. Who ever said I, in my eternal wisdom and glorious genius, could not supply the dwarves with what they want? Here is a draft of the new lodgings. The small one goes to that scum, the rat, Ducim.
While we were crouching in the mud enjoying our communal meal, there was… an incident.
I was telling the other dwarves of my plans of lodging. Astesh did not react, she was sitting in the mud staring at her feet. Rith was staring straight ahead with those weird, spacey eyes she got ever since the burning event, Ducim was rocking back and forth with a strange gleam in his eyes. In retrospect I should have realised that he was in an unstable condition and shouldn't have told him of his fate as having the smallest accommodations.
But why!? He exclaimed. Because, I replied, I hate you!
With that he jumped up and started screaming and running in the direction of the pond. Then he jumped in. And drowned. And died.
Now we are three.

Things are going well new years is approaching fast and we can start the second level. YAARGhn-
Something is attacking me? What is this thing? Drive it back!

------
Ok what the hell, what are these things? The wiki doesn't show them as existing and they are black spots on the map. I don't know how many are in my base, but atleast 5. Solon managed to fight off one, but is now resting, the other dwarves are sure to die soon.
Quote from: lordnicompoop
Woo! You chose Solon! 

Aw, man, I got killed. Ah, well, at least I'll get a proper burial. Nice place, though, eh?
The "fingers" are quite cool yes, although the dwarves themselves are on the verge of getting extinct.

How did you find/gen such a place?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 01:32:12 pm by Overspeculated »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 01:55:39 pm »

MUAHAHAHA! IT'S ALIVE!

And I didn't gen the "fingers" world. The dwarves' "Madonna" and "features of women" comment are a reference to the original gen topic.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:05:44 am by lordnincompoop »

Zeffrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 04:15:27 pm »

This will be an interesting fort to roll play :D
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 11:51:30 am »

I lie in my bed, I could not kill the shadow, fleeing instead. Yet, as soon as I lie in bed I can watch my wounds seal up mysteriously before my eyes. This is a strange place, with strange magics.

Suddenly I hear screams from outside. I had anticipated these, I saw the horde of doom that approached. The screams belonged to Astesh, they were not, however, the kind of screams I had expected, I had thought to hear screams of pain, screams of terror. Instead I was presented with screams of rage and anger. Screams from the heart of the mountainhome.
I exit my room, Astesh lies, much as I could have guessed, broken and bloodied on the floor. The surprises are the five dead shadow beasts in the area.
Suddenly more appear on the horizon. They rush through our entrance. They are many. Very many. I cannot count their number, for they move too fast and blend with the grass rushing from here to there with alarming speed.
I look to the workshops, where Rith is working on chairs and barrels seemingly without concern. I gesture her to come with me and move onwards.
The first to reach me feels the axe. The second as-well, although not without hurting me. Then comes the third and the fourth and the fifth. Predictably, I am overwhelmed. As the beasts rip and tear at me I lose consciousness.
Only to awake 2 minutes later. Rith is working in the workshops again, pointedly ignoring me and my wounds as I lie bleeding out on the ground. I wonder why she does not bring me to a bed so that I can rest my wounds. Actually, I already know. Its because I laughed at her when she was running around on fire. But damn, that was funny, this on the other hand, is a crisis. I ask her what happened.
She tells me that I attacked the beasts, slew two and was then taken down.
I asked her what happened next.
Nothing, she said. She entered combat, killed one of the beasts and then the others fled.

That being that, I hauled myself over to my room and plopped into bed. The dwarven part deep in me suddenly interrupts my musings on how deeply hurt my body is, telling me that

------
Well, that was pretty hardcore. Those gores owned the shit out of me, and if it weren't for two martial trances, well, nobody would be left alive. After Solon got attacked I immediately recruited Astesh, had a trance and killed two before losing her trance, then tracked the other three across the countryside, racking up wounds as she went (constantly getting her rest task interrupted by gores). She is currently in her bed. These dwarves also seem to be very selfish, they prefer walking around with "no job" rather than help somebody to bed. Which is strange.
Also, the threat is far from over, there are still many gores near the entrance of the fort.
Edit: Something I had forgotten to mention, about ten seconds after Solon went to bed for the first time his wounds healed. Must have gotten shit-lucky.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:01:10 pm by Overspeculated »

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 06:04:43 pm »

I am in a stupor, time goes by strangely and warped.
A fiend, a darkling, one of those Astesh calls gore for the wounds they have inflicted on her body and mine, snuck into my room. It attacked me while I was resting, coating the walls in my blood. Yet my endurance is without end, my willpower infinite, the reserves of my strength bottomless. I cried for help and help came. Astesh entered my room and slew the beast. She is proving herself to be a fine warrior indeed, however, I find my mind limited in ways it was not previously since the incident. Most unfortunate.
Both Astesh and Rith came to my sick room. I told them we needed to stop these beasts from entering our base. I told them we could not win against such a foe. We had to shut them out. Rith I told to make a drawbridge at the entrance. Astesh I told to route out those that were in our compound. Issuing such an order, I knew I would most likely never see her again, yet it was a duty that had to be done. And better her than me.
A storm rises, suitable weather for such a situation. What with me being in bed and all that.
Oh, and make me a door. Can't have that thing with a gore entering my room again.
I was trying to hold the pieces of my head together when Astesh came in. She offered me water in a bucket. She told me that the water came from the pond, and was contaminated with the blood of Ducim and that of a gore someone had slain that had landed inside of it. I did not care. I thought that I would never be brought water again, since both my companions would no doubt die in the arduous task of locking us in. A noble sacrifice, but necessary if I am to live.
Then she told me that they had succeeded, with much hardship, building a drawbridge and raising it.
I smiled, for the only dangers to our existence now come from within the fortress itself, from the other dwarves.
But my name is Solon Holdaxes, I am the keeper of the Fingers of Doom.
No dwarf can compare to me.

-----
The gore situation is thankfully solved. We are back from worrying about our survival to worrying about our sanity. Dwarves seem to recover incredibly fast from brown and grey wounds, which is strange.
Solon is still bed-ridden, but I will begin making a trade depot in the second level, to mark the true beginning of my turn.
As I said before, the crisis is not solved, the dwarves are still all in a state of perpetual misery and can snap any time (I don't know why they didn't yet). The only thing that is solved is the IMPENDING DOOM AND DEATH hanging over the fortress.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 04:25:49 am »

this woeful story intrigues me, though participating in it is beyond my dwarvenly-ness by a few orders of magnitude

I will observe the coming developments with eagerness.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Zeffrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 05:37:55 am »

ho boyyyy...imagine how I feel I gotta run this! Whoo! its gunna be fun!
GENERATION 26:

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 08:04:50 am »

Recovery goes slow. Astesh and Rith received orders from me to make some crossbows and a couple wooden bolts and to wait for me to recover before we embark to the second level.

I was juggling with my shoes, trying to pass the time, when Astesh entered my room. I asked her what happened, fearing and invasion of giant bats or something that can come over our fortifications.
No, instead she reported migrants. Many migrants. I asked her how many. 21, she said. I was silent.
She then said she had opened the gates. Shocked I yelled at her to shut them, screaming about the gores. She insisted we could handle them.
Shocked by her defiance of my orders, but unable to do anything in my state, I told her to assemble the dwarves in my room.
The first thing I did was pronounce myself the the effective source of justice in this area. The second thing I did was send a few of the more useless characters outside to die (a jeweller, an animal caretaker and a trapper). I told the others that our resources were not large enough to support everybody. Only those that would prove themselves as valuable to me could survive.
I told the Wood Burner to set up a workshop somewhere and start making charcoal, the Furnace Operator received instructions to set up a smelter in order to smelt any ores we would eventually find. The Armourer I told to set up a forge to supply our soldiers with fre- that was when Rith piped in. "We don't have an anvil" she said. I was silent for a moment. How could it be that we didn't bring an anvil with us? Or even deign to purchase one from the caravan last year? I did not know what was going through the minds of our previous leaders. Not much I guess, since they all went insane and died.
I quickly told the peasants to grab some picks, they would be mining soon, and dismissed everybody.
One dwarf remained. He told me his name was Olin Speakerdoors, the sharpest eyes in the west. I told him to shut up and get to work. He said he was a ranger of the finest caliber and wished to hunt the abominations known as gores that were reported to live in these lands. I wished him a good death and bade him farewell.

The expedition of the second level goes well, with the peasant miners working together with the mason that came with them from the mountainhome.
Rith reports to me that the migrants have gone to her and announced to her that she was the new expedition leader.
Greatly angered by this bypass of my power, I demanded her to give up her position, I threatened her life, I begged her to relinquish her station over to me, I called her dirty names. All to no avail. Bed-ridden as I am I can do little. Who would have thought, the great Solon, broken and humiliated by politics. But no, once I exit this bed, which has become my prison, I shall bring a wrath so great to this fortress, as to show them who truly is its lord and master.
Olin Speakerdoors, happy as can be, trumped into my room making me jolt up in surprise, causing one of my loose, broken skull plates to shift infront of my eyes. Temporarily blinding me. When I manage to get my head in order again, I look at Olin, who stares back at me, his joy dampened by horror and disgust. I ask him what he wants in my room, why I just shouldn't slay him where he stands, when another dwarf enters the room. I recognise him, he is one of useless dwarves I sent out to die, but something has changed about him. Before he can say anything Olin, vigour renewed by the presence of apparent competition, jumped infront of him and announced to me he was a great slayer of beasts, having killed 5 extremely dangerous beasts with his crossbow.
I stared at him. He beamed a great smile, pride practically oozing off of him as to be scraped off and stored in a barrel like as if it were lye. Then I took action. I shouted at him with all my pent up rage and frustration. I called him a worthless git, not even fit for the butchers block, who, could I stand, I would kick out of the fortress and dump in a ditch and then bury alive. He started crying and ran out of my room. I turned to the other dwarf and asked him why he had come.
He said "We have rid the area of those animals you have sent us to kill."
I asked how many he had slain personally.
"Six. I killed six."
I asked what weapon he used.
"My hands." Was the answer.
I saw promise in him. I saw opportunity for me. Who says Solon Holdaxes, the Butcher of the Fingers, is blind? "Gather the dwarves in my room." I instructed him.
He obeyed.
I held a speech from my bed, having Vucar Dayboots, the Armourer, hold my head. I told them of the brave deeds of the three soldiers, spraying the countryside with the blood of the enemy and their own aswell. I especially praised Ònul Whitelabours, who had slain six himself. Then I announced that I was anointing him supreme commander of the military.
The crowd cheered, as expected. Especially since I had instructed Vucar, Olin and Stukos Handledbanner the Furnace Operator, who were standing beside me, to shout as loud as they could.
I saw Rith trying to protest, it was, after all, not my place to make such decisions. But the dwarves, being in their essence followers of he who could shout the loudest, were too busy hailing me and Ònul to hear her.
Pleased with myself I ordered all the dwarves to leave me, as their shouting had loosened the plates in my skull and given me a headache.
-----
21 migrants arrived. There were previously only 3 living dwarves in the fortress. Atleast I won't need to reclaim now. I don't know how the 3 recruits managed to slay so many gores without weapons while even Astesh had to use a pick and constantly got grave wounds.
Solon is still bed-ridden and its seems he will never recover from his broken head, but with the arrival of the migrants the situation is saved, the fortress will not fall.
Odd!x, why not sign up? We don't have enough players and I will pretty much be spending my entire turn increasing the defences of the fortress, so it won't be that hard anymore (until the orcs arrive atleast, then it will be hella hard).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:09:18 am by Overspeculated »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 09:40:36 am »

Overspeculated, what makes you think I added orcs, and even if I did, why would they be in any recognisable form?  :P

I also suggest you get a few farms up inside the "fingers".

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 11:07:56 am »

I am Rith Boardmartyred. Recently I have been elected expedition leader of Confusefortress the God-forsaken Tower-Fortress of Death. A foreboding name, to be sure.
I have taken over where Solon Holdaxes, a murderer and psychopath has left off. He is currently rotting in his room, and what time he doesn't spend trying to hold his head together he spends plotting against me and cooking up schemes to undermine me.
The miners and craftsdwarves fear him greatly and look to me for help. However, I have a duty to the king, he has lain before us a rigorous time-plan which I must obey, and as such work on the second level is heavily underway. The problem is the intense difficulty of creating proper rooms, due to the chasm. But work must progress, a new farm plot has been designated, the trade depot has been constructed, some bedrooms created, workshops erected and a new dining room is in the works.
Most disturbing is that we don't have any constant source of water save for the pools, which can only be refreshed by rain, which is thankfully a common phenomenon in this region. It is a good thing that dwarven wells can have an unlimited depth, even when there are no walls supporting the chain and bucket. As such we will be forced to build free-falling wells from the second level into a pool. But that is a concern for the future, currently we still need to get some sort of basic infrastructure up. The people in this fortress need proper care, and only I can provide it for them.

======
My head hurts. Very, very much.

I spoke with Ònul and we had agreed that it was necessary to train our defenders with crossbows, as such the building of an archery range is necessary.
However, due to restrictions put on me by Rith, who insists she needs all masons on active duty and can only spare a few, the idea of archery booths could not be realised. This half finished range will have to do.
Olin brings much gossip to my room. This is good, for while his prater is annoying, it gives me insight to the happenings of the fort. Today Olin brought news that the woodcutter had been possessed by a demon of sorts, but instead of killing everybody, he had taken three logs and built an Oaken earring with an image of itself on it.
A good omen, if the first artefact of a fortress has its own image on it. It shows that this fortress will acquire wealth in its time.
As the days go by and I sleep more poorly due to the racket coming from the second level, where Rith is busy following the kings orders like the servant she is. A true leader acts on his own accord, not on that of a far-away ruler!

The gores came back in great force today, they stormed the gate and our marksdwarves slaughtered them from afar in an excellent display of my foresight. However, they eventually ran out of bolts and were forced to enter combat at close range, which earned them many wounds and allowed one to get away with some of our finest dwarven beer!

------
Well, work on the second level is well underway (infact the first level has been effectively abandoned), the military is surprisingly efficient against gores. I don't know why they are so easy to kill now, whereas they were near impossible to harm before.
I'll eventually post another update today.

Overspeculated, what makes you think I added orcs, and even if I did, why would they be in any recognisable form?  :P

I also suggest you get a few farms up inside the "fingers".
I know you added orcs because after being surprised by the gores I checked the raws. Yes, the orcs are very different (I think they are alot cooler) than the orcs in other mods, but they are still called orcs :D.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:12:36 am by Overspeculated »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7