Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: YAAD (aka "Fun") thread  (Read 4813 times)

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
Re: YAAD (aka "Fun") thread
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2009, 02:03:09 pm »

My first encounter with fire imps led to repeated massive forest fires, because the top of the pipe was at ground level.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 07:38:47 pm »

Oh, yes. Fire imps; the reason I never, ever embark on a site with magma. Though in hindsight digging in right next to the pipe was a mistake.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2009, 11:40:43 pm »

Oh, yes. Fire imps; the reason I never, ever embark on a site with magma. Though in hindsight digging in right next to the pipe was a mistake.

You are missing out on DF's greatest feature.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2009, 07:29:49 am »

Yeah, not referring to the magma, but to he FUN. FUN is DF blood. (to me at least)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 07:21:13 pm »

Agreed. Sacrificing soap makers to the fire imp is very fun. I always wanted to catch one and make a fire imp pillbox though. Not for defense, to clear away all the non-silk clothing left behind by invaders. Even with the nearly naked races from RA the outside of my fort is covered in cloths and other crap. Fire imp pillbox + chained kitten = epic win.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2009, 09:21:58 pm »

Um... no. There's Fun, and there's the whole sodding fortress population dying before the first caravan arrives. Though the part where a single well-hurled fireball caused a raging inferno that reduced most of the map to ashes and black glass and created an epic plume of smoke that could probably be seen from the Mountainhome (and absolutely caned my FPS I might add) did have an element of black comedy.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2009, 12:22:04 am »

I was filling up the tubes below the future magma furnaces with well... magma.  The way I had it set up was that a miner uses channels from above to start the flow, then run through the magma ways to the fort's grand staircase.  Everything goes as planned up till the point of walling off the filling tunnels.  As a mason was building the wall a legendary miner/starting 7 runs into the tunnels.  The frame he passes the wall, the damn thing gets built. But the miner isn't phased by his lack of escape route as he runs full bore into the magma and gets turned into an Urist crispy.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2009, 01:11:41 am »

By missing the best feature of DF I meant magma. Many of the best features of DF are magma related, and there are sooo many things to do with magma. Why do you think everyone is in love with it? Whatever Fun results from your mismanagement of magma and its inhabitants is purely bonus.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2009, 01:17:44 am »

Um... no. There's Fun, and there's the whole sodding fortress population dying before the first caravan arrives.

Ahhh, there's lotsa ways to get around that. Not building right beside the pipe is the most obvious, since you generally tap the pipe from underneath anyhow, but you can channel around pipes (either from aboveground or underneath) or even wall them off (hell, or both) if you're paranoid.

The Architect isn't kidding, you're missing out on the greatest source of fun and Fun in DF.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2009, 02:29:22 pm »

I tried to build a magmafall outside the entrance once. It worked for a little while, until it started dripping outside of the pit and draining the top layer of the pipe to the point where my forges quit working.

Sooo badass while it was on, though, and easily converted into a siege repellent!
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2010, 02:28:59 am »

I have yet to encounter 'fun' unless you count the time I went two years or more without bothering to train a military. I immediately restarted from embark, but it didn't seem very 'fun' since I was intending to restart anyway (was my first major effort).

I've never flooded a fortress with magma or had a tantrum spiral. Am I doing something wrong?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2010, 09:09:04 am »

By missing the best feature of DF I meant magma. Many of the best features of DF are magma related, and there are sooo many things to do with magma. Why do you think everyone is in love with it? Whatever Fun results from your mismanagement of magma and its inhabitants is purely bonus.
Honestly, I've never felt I was missing much. It'd make exports of metal and glass crafts more profitable, but Boatmurdered-style doomsday weapons have never really appealed to me and my economy tends to run largely on stone crafts and clothing, backed up by the output of the odd legendary weapon- or armoursmith.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2010, 09:19:11 am »

Feeling the need to help my fort defenses, I made a magma-drop shaft right on top of my trade depot. And as soon as it was finished, and the magma loaded, I thought "why not test it on these traders?"

Well, the good thing is that the trap was a complete success. Everything near the depot, and everyone, was instantly splashed with magma and set on fire. Sure, all the cloth and such burned, but I got a lot of metal goods so it was all good.

The bad(debatable) thing is, the splashing magma made it so that the tunnel walls that lead to the depot, and inside of my fort, are now hot. Very hot.

The next merchants who showed up all had various goods suddenly burst into fire, boil away, and from the looks of it, none of the merchants or pack animals survived.

At least I got a lot of free goods out of it. Although I need to figure out what to do to ensure that I can actually get some trade goods out of the fort, and that requires at least the dwarf merchants to survive.

I'm thinking vertical bars, and grates behind them for the magma to splash down to the magma-reservoir that surrounds my towers.

If that fails as well, oh well. I'll just splash more magma.

Binamrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2010, 08:03:52 am »

My fortress had been plagued by goblin ambushes, and I had usually solved the problem by keeping the gate (a bunch of grates, idiotically, since everyone would see the goblins through them and go "Urist cancels pulling doomsday lever: goblin is three miles away") shut and waiting for them to go away. But after a few years of losing two woodcutters/fisherdwarves per year I decided to kill them off with my newly trained military: champion wrestlers/novice macedwarves and crossbowmen.
So I sent the Marksdorfs at the enterance and sent the champions out to save a few peasants.
Long story short: All the marksdorfs die, and I'm stuck with the moronic macedwarves. I decide to not open the gate again.

But then a damn Immigration wave comes, and the Dungeon master with them. So I decide: Hmm... I got to let them in, so I'll open the gate and wait till they're all inside, and then quickly shut it again.
But since I had forgotten to build a meeting place inside they just stood there. In the meantime a goblin ambush appears, so I sent the champions out on it. But because only one champion could get there in time, and because they had bows, the only thing that happened was me losing a champion.
So I decide to pull the lever and close the gates, but because of bad design you had to pass the gate to close it, so everyone who went to pull it ran off.
My champions decided that this would be a very good time to go and have a drink, and did so. Meanwhile, ANOTHER goblin ambush squad appear, and after a bit of fiddling around I draft everyone to fight them. When a few of them had charged and reached the goblins, they discover an ADDITIONAL goblin ambush waiting for them.
I managed to eventually kill the goblins off, no thanks to the (skilled) military, but all my miners, administrators, the mayor, all the peasants and a few food producers died. Blood everywhere!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FUN!  ;D

Incredibly enough, this didn't cause a tantrum spiral, and I got a grand total of one tantrum even though the majority of the fortress was unhappy after this. I guess only the unpopular dorfs died.
The fortress has since recovered and has now a less retarded entrance.

There also was the time a dorf went berserk after not completing his artefact and went chasing a child up the passage seen in the top right corner. In order to save the dorfs in his path I lock their doors so he can't get in to them. After a while the champions kill Urist McRage off, and I go off and do other things.
Because a quarter of the fortress population is in bed recovering from wounds it took me a while to realise why my armorsmith had died from dehydration.

Fun fact: at the moment there are two dwarves walking around with a red wound on their left lung. Apparently it doesn't bother them very much.
Also my Captain of the Guard wants a suite but I can't assign him to any object.
Nevermind, turns out her upper body was missing.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2010, 11:22:42 am »

So I was playing with the orc mod, right? Nothing fancy. I had gotten a nice little fort set up with a spiral entrance way, and about 30 dwarves. I had just struck a magma chamber and the immigrant hunter was pulling in all sorts of game. I was very pleased. Then, the orcs came. !6 of them, half macemen and half wrestlers. Now the only military I had were 7 champion wrestlers with no other skills or equipment, and my aforementioned hunter. The first blood was when my hunter heroically bolted to the watchtower to cover my fleeing woodcutter and began firing down steel bolts into the horde. He managed to take down one wrestler and blind another when a maceorc climbed up and ended his life. I did not like that. Not one bit. These orcs would pay for their rudeness. So, I got to work. I sent out my miners to mine as much obsidian as they could, and then began making as many short swords as possible. When the orcs reached the gates, half of my population was equipped with razor blades, including my wrestlers. I sent my wrestlers on a charge to the spiral entrance way, where they killed five wrestlers and one maceman. Then the real fun began. I quickly gave the order to fall back to the great hall, where my civilians would make their last stand. As the first orc stepped through the door, first one dwarf, then another, challenged the leader and was put down by his mace. The two forces converged with a bloody explosion, body parts flying everywhere. When it was over, the entire floor was red. But we had won. A single unarmed soapmaker was the last dwarf of my fortress. However, the orcs were not finished. A solitary maceman stood at the opposite end of the hall. Screaming bloody murder, they both charged at each other the deciding battle of this outpost. I grimaced, preparing to lose this fortress. Then suddenly, when they converged, the dwarf grabbed the orcs arm, nearly ripping it off. The orc dropped his mace and fled, but he did not make it far when he bled to death in the wilderness outside my fortress. The siege was over.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4