Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode is absolutely awesome  (Read 1452 times)

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
Adventure mode is absolutely awesome
« on: December 25, 2009, 12:09:40 am »

Today I decided that I wanted to play as a Bronze Collosus and massicre everything I could find. I started my career as a killer by going to the nearest human town and gouging childrens' eyes out. Then after a few guards later I grabbed an axe and chopped off a child's head, only to use it as a bludgeoning weapon of mass destruction. I mean seriously, people were FLYING when I busted out that head. In the end, I didn't manage to kill a single elf sadly because before I could get through my second human town I was shot by a ranger and my lower body got torn off. I had over 90 kills, two goblins and the rest humans.

All I have to say about that is AWESOME. I think I'll do it again, but next time, focus my wrath more on the elven menace.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode is absolutely awesome
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 12:19:00 am »

We really do need an epic adventurer/noteworthy adventures thread.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 11:04:32 am »

Adventure mode truly is epic, I prefer it to fortress mode. Try playing someone that's proficient in crossbow and Wrestling! (hint, lots of gouging and then shooting)
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 10:25:27 pm »

Or do what I did: mod necks to be a joint, so that you can break them in a chokehold.

(Be warned, though: if a champion wrestler or large megabeast gets ahold of your neck, it'll snap like a twig.)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 06:16:59 pm »

just dont a EMBEDDED to the heart
i have kids kill you by punching is no were as near as bad as haveing them rip your heart out.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Unus volatilis angelus, aeria gloriis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 08:02:56 pm »

Had an amazing session of adventure mode the other day, was win.

Yes a session, an epic tale against this dragon with one of my longest surviving human swordsman.

Im tired, so forgive any errors

Basically, attacked this dragon that had been terrorising my adventurers home nation of The Lacy kingdoms, a civilisation of twilight/night/ death worshipping cultist lunatics. My adventurer, a female human,  who is in the sect of cloaks, hired some of the most capable mercenaries within the town. 5 of them took up the cause  due to his reputation for slaying a mighty titan that had plagued THe Raw Arch, my favourite dwarven nation.

To my horror, the first fight did not go well. The dragons have the following statistics in my version

Code: [Select]

[CREATURE:DRAGON]
[NAME:dragon:dragons:draconic]
[TILE:'D'][COLOR:2:0:0]
[MODVALUE:50]
[DRAGONFIREBREATH][FIREIMMUNE_SUPER][TRAPAVOID]
[FANCIFUL]
[MEGABEAST]
[FLIER]
[STOUT]
[GENPOWER:5]
[FREQUENCY:5]
[PETVALUE:10000]
[GRASSTRAMPLE:50]
[BONECARN][PET_EXOTIC][MOUNT_EXOTIC][TRAINABLE]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
[NOFEAR]
[LIKES_FIGHTING]
[CAN_LEARN]
[PREFSTRING:terrible majesty]
[BODY:QUADRUPED_REAL:ORGANS_REAL:QUADRUPED_SKELETON_REAL:NECKJOINT:TAIL:2EYES:NOSE:THROAT:BRAIN:MOUTH:2WINGS]
[BODYGLOSS:CLAW_FOOT]
[SIZE:70]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:60:80:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:STANCE:claw:claws:60:80:SLASH]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:TAIL:whip:whips:50:60:BLUDGEON]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:STANCE:kick:kicks:40:60:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[FAT:10]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[BIOME:ANY_LAND]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[HOMEOTHERM:10040]
[SPHERE:FIRE]
[SPHERE:WEALTH]
[CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM]
  [DAMBLOCK:50]

The dragons first breath killed 2 of my party, me having forgot to recruit those who wield shields. Cursing my planning abilities, we attacked the dragon from all sides. The spearman was killed almsot instantly, bit in the head and shook into oblivion by the dragon.

The swordsman charged in, only to get slashed clean in two by the dragons claws after ineffectually hitting it twice. My adventurer and the last swordsman charged in beating the dragon with our weapons, but the dragon was too strong, smashing my adventurer aside with a charge and mangled both her legs with two consecutive attacks, causing her to fall down with pain. The dragon rounded on the other swordsman, and pinned him down with a wing after a powerful charge. A torrent of fire surrounded the downed man, boiling him alive.

The dragon rounded on my adventurer, who had luckily woke up just in time.
The foul beast bore down on her with a charge, but a missed saw a vicious counterstrike to its head. The dragons brain was cut and its right eye slashed out as the blade sliced clean through a section of its skull. THe dragon then collapsed from pain and over exertion as she tried to crawl away to safety. As i neared a tree to sneak and escape, the dragon awoke and caught my adventurer full in the back with a jet of flame that set her alight.

Luckily, he was too late and my adventurer escaped.

After some intense training, she returned with two spears, one bronze and one iron, a double bladed sword, a iron shortsword and a bow. This dragon WAS going to die, one way or the other.

I had also brought 3 dwarves.

The fight was as messy as the first.

The dragon having an insane ambushing skill sometimes managed to go INVISIBLE on the open plain during the fight, making throwing difficult, and after a brief  initial skirmish disappeared. It then leapt out of hiding and kicked a dwarf into a tree, where he exploded. It instantly breathed fire, killing another marksdwarf before he could level a second shot.

One again it was only my adventurer and another dwarf. The swordsdwarf charged hacking madly, actually succeeding in knocking over the dragon. However, it had soon recovered, and began to wrestle him. Even with legendary + 1 wrestling the dragon would not allow itself to be distracted, my adventurer unable to lock the dragons neck. It however had no trouble breaking both arms of the dwarf, ending with it snapping his neck, before flattening him with a downward swipe of its tail.

With the dwarf dead, the dragon turned on my adventurer. This time it was a much more even fight - my adventurer managed to outlast the dragon as it overexerted, and got several minor hits in to its body that served to slow it down. However the dragon wasnt finished, and promptly broke her ankle. Another blow hit my adventurer as she overexerted, and mangled her shield arm. I knew i was about to die, so i once again threw both spears as i had periodically throughout the match, hoping to kill it before it breathed fire.

The first bronze spear flew true, and hit the draon in the right claw crippling it. Stunned by her luck, my adventurer hurled the iron speared square at the over exerted dragon, who had luckily fallen in its failed counterattack. The spear smashed through the dragons body, impaling its heart and other organs. Dropping the sword, my adventurer grabbed the shield and cowered under the rage of the dragons flames until it gave up and tried to drag itself away bleeding profusely. It never made it, bleeding to death as i counterattacked with shield bashes.

The body was promptly burned and its bones pilfered.
Cobim Glowtaxed the torrid furnaces of treasure finally laid slain.

My adventurer, Ramul Junglestakes and myself let out a cry of exulatation that probably woke all the neighbours.

SIDENOTE: when i later unretired her, she sported a dragon crown and dragon bracelet rather than the bones. AWESOME

I love adventure mode, its VASTLY underated.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 08:29:08 pm by Deathbane »
Creator of the Chaos Reigns and Age of Heroes modifications.

Developer of the Adventurer Roleplaying game system, assistance required!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46859.0

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 08:17:22 pm »

As the new version comes ever closer to a release, I find myself unwilling to build a fortress, and instead wish to explore the worlds I make. Unfortunately, I feel inclined to build a massive fortress-tower to stock full of goods and explore, but I cannot find the motivation.

So I throw vomit and water at people instead, beheading them, burning their villages, all in the name of the thirty different deities I worship.

Indeed, Adventure mode is absolutely awesome.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 09:30:41 pm »

I really

really

can't wait for the new combat system and the Adventurer skills arc. It'll make Adventurer mode truly amazing.

just dont a EMBEDDED to the heart
i have kids kill you by punching is no were as near as bad as haveing them rip your heart out.

Fatality.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 10:24:36 pm »

The dragon having an insane ambushing skill sometimes managed to go INVISIBLE on the open plain during the fight, making throwing difficult, and after a brief  initial skirmish disappeared. It then leapt out of hiding and kicked a dwarf into a tree, where he exploded.

Friggin' intense!
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Unus volatilis angelus, aeria gloriis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 10:13:17 am »

was! Thought i was in for it again, was so lucky with the last spear throw or id have been killed.
Creator of the Chaos Reigns and Age of Heroes modifications.

Developer of the Adventurer Roleplaying game system, assistance required!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46859.0