Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crazy Dwarf Fortress Dream  (Read 2553 times)

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crazy Dwarf Fortress Dream
« on: December 24, 2009, 03:57:17 pm »

So just last night I had a dream about dwarf fortress, crazy I know.  Note that throughout the entire dream everything stayed within reasonable limitations to DF, just some stuff was a little off.

It was normal, dwarfs doing the arbitrary labor that I asked them.  This went on for about ten minutes till one went to take some refuse outside, and then all of a sudden an enemy descended upon them extraordinarily quickly and shot an exploding projectile that gibbed the dwarf.  I hurried my others inside and shut the gate, but the enemy proceeded to destroy the gate and surrounding structures with a single exploding projectile.  Then I activated my military to confront the enemy who could apparently also fly and phase through walls.  I noticed one of my champions doing something weird, he was using a projectile other than a crossbow, he was throwing giant shurikens.  In his right hand was "Giant Steel Throwing Star", and he was dismembering the enemy with each throw.  Then suddenly I get a notification that my miner has found something "Miner has found a mysterious chamber."  At first I thought a glowing pit, but this room looked as if it had been crafted by dwarfs.  It had a chest in the middle and a lot of containers lining the room.  I couldn't mine in, I'd have to dismantle the constructed walls around the room.  I decided to wait until the enemy was dispatched.

Eventually my apparent ninja dwarf has completely dismembered the enemy with his giant throwing star  :o.  I tell the military to surround the walls of this chamber and then I breach it, I send military in first and luckily so, they encounter two more of these flying, phasing, explosive shooting enemies.  Now all my dwarfs are throwing star champions for some reasons, though some of them are shooting flaming arrows which ignite their targets.  Once the enemies are dead I have the dwarf dismantle the chest to find a seemingly infinite one tile stock of an ore with a weird name like "Olympite" or something referencing mythology.  Then I dismantle the room and something strange happens, the far right wall collapses and it's suddenly outside, no longer deep in the mountain.  It's like a Narnia for dwarfs.  A completely prebuilt human town just resting out there, under siege by these flying, bombing monsters.  I then *think* I wake up to look in the mirror to see that I am a dwarf, I then wake up for real.

Just thought I'd share that.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Dwarf Fortress Dream
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 04:20:32 pm »

Maybe it really DID happen, but the awesomeness was too much for you mind to handle, causing you to think it was a dream. YOU HAVE DISCOVERED THE NEW HFS!!!
ALL HAIL MISTERLICH! LEAD US INTO THIS NEW WORLD!!
I really should have gone to sleep last night...

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 04:37:24 pm »

34. you play too much dwarf fortress if you dream about it

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 05:38:05 pm »

I thought Rule 34 was something completely different.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 07:39:12 pm »

bow chicka bow wow.

But serriously.
The "miner has found a mysterious chamber" message could be a great addition to the game! Random dug out areas of previous fortresses that have been lost over time, with some treasure still being hidden inside.
These chambers could include anything from just a chest, skeletons, prehaps even a caged creature (gonna have to make it one that lives a LOOOOONG time) to monsters or whatnot.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 09:29:35 pm »

I love the idea of an underground city waiting to be discovered. It's not an uncommon trope in fiction, but hey.
U+203C DOUBLE EXCLAMATION MARK (‼) is the Dwarf Fortress symbol for fire, not two instances of U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK (!!).

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 09:32:43 pm »

Common tropes are common because they're cool. I like.

Was the dream in ASCII? :P
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 09:37:26 pm »

Heh. You aren't a proper DF fan until you have dreamed about it at least once. I know I have a few times. I've actually had some in ASCII, but others had some sort of graphics, although I think they may have been dreams of various games all mushed together. I remember one which on reflection was like DF but with graphics and some systems from Cities XL. The last thing I remember just as I was yanked out of it by a 5:00 wake up was constructing a sort of earthen embankment around a settlement which I remember specifically used a system identical to Cities XL's road building.

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 10:58:22 pm »

Yeah, hopefully I'll dream up other possible additions tonight for Christmas!

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 11:51:01 pm »

The prophet speaks!
Behold!
The features of the new era!

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 12:49:17 am »

dang, my DF dream pales in comparison. In mine, the HFS was normal HFS, except very, very big. as in, 100 x 100 tiles or more big

and it was a forest

with Pretty streams and srubs growing

and there were Fire Clowns

also, i think there were shops i was buying to re use as dorms for rent, police cars after me, and a tower i had to go into for some reason. also, weird spikey friuts and lonely clowns were in the tower. as in, people dressed like clowns. my dreams are wierd
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Majorlag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 02:50:24 am »

Was the dream in ASCII?
Wait, you mean dreams aren't normally in ASCII?

... I should probably get that checked out.
The True Adventures of ___________

Insight into the minds of Dwarf Fortress Players - Random Quote of the Month:
He once spent a week visiting a cave in which there lived seven giants.  Each day, he would come in, track down each of the giants, and beat it to the point of unconsciousness.

DiscoPony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 03:36:40 am »

For a few mere moments, you accessed the normally dormant part of your brain and tapped into the wellspring of Toady's mind.

You have given us the changelog of the next update  8)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 04:10:24 pm »

I had a DF dream last week, that I was getting my first ever siege.

Two days later, I had my first siege.

Dum dum DUUUUUUM!  :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 12:54:16 am »

I had a dream that was a completely normal day, going to school, coming home, meeting friends, etc.

Except entirely ASCII, and my science teacher was a dwarf and nearly killed everyone. I guess that counts as a DF dream, right?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.
Pages: [1] 2