Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Screw pumps and hydrodynamics question  (Read 877 times)

DorfDorfingdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Screw pumps and hydrodynamics question
« on: December 24, 2009, 07:13:53 am »

So I'm on one of those entirely-isolated island maps, and I'm going to attempt to make the only entrance to my fort proper actually under a brook. Now, I'm pretty sure I get the general idea here:
Water wheels hooked up to screw pumps by axles and gearboxes, with screw pumps straddling the width of the brook. No big deal.

But how do I semi-permanently "remove" water tiles from the bottom of the brook? Auto pumps will keep them clean, but I read somewhere about how pumping a river or brook's water backwards (ie reverse the direction the water is going in) will actually be a zero-sum issue; In other words, pumping water back up a brook would not result in water going everywhere, but instead would have pumped water "disappear" back onto the tile it is pumped to.

Is this correct?

If not, how would I go about trying to put a hatch cover on a brook floor and having my dwarves dig in from there?  I've searched pump threads but haven't been able to find anything.  The map DOES freeze (so I've heard), but I'd like to know this for future projects.

Thanks!
<quote>... the first migration gets conscripted to the "Quarry Security Force" which will be known as QuiSF because I like the name AND I MAKE THE RULES AROUND HERE!</quote>

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screw pumps and hydrodynamics question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 09:51:19 am »

It works, though probably not exactly as you imagine. The river will need a few weeks of pumping to be walkable and a few 1/2 and 2/2 blobs of water will still come through and may make your staircase muddy, if you leave the hatch open for too long.
It's not like Urist McMoses parting the brook, more like Urist McEngineer trying to make a pump run faster than water can flow in.

As a plan, this one does work:
Another similar block of pumps, facing the other way, further downstream may speed the process up.
(like<water source>~~<X <your entry here> X>~~<water end>)

...OOOOOOOOOOOO..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~<X~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~<X~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~<X~~
~~~~~WWW~~~~~<X~~
...OOO|OOOOOOO|..

~=brook, flowing left to right
<X=pumps, pumping right to left, powered by a waterwheel (WWW) upstream
O=walls. They prevent the water from spilling all over the landscape and make it flow back into the brook. I recommend 10tiles long after the pumps.

But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

DorfDorfingdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:41:54 am »

Great! That explains a lot. Now, with the pumps pumping water back up the brook's flow, should I be channeling the brook tiles upstream ie where the pumps are pumping to? Or should I leave them as brook "floor" tiles?
<quote>... the first migration gets conscripted to the "Quarry Security Force" which will be known as QuiSF because I like the name AND I MAKE THE RULES AROUND HERE!</quote>

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:04:36 am »

I never noticed a difference. I think, the brook "floors" function just like floor grates, letting water flow through freely. The only tiles you need to channel are those for the waterwheel.

And in case of difficulties, you could still apply magma. Faster, more dangerous and way more dwarfy. See the wiki for other methods that might help you.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!