Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "The champion need not spar"  (Read 2489 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Re: "The champion need not spar"
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 07:57:20 pm »

The title explains it, actually. Champions are perfect army dwarves and don't need to train, as far as I recall.

Actually, I'm trying to get them to train in other weapons aside from their normal ones. Vucar, the baddest fo-mo in my fortress, has Legendary in 2 skills *Maces and Wrestling* and nearing Legendary in Armor and Shield using. Just for the sake of having the biggest badass the elephants and carp have ever seen, I'm training him in the rest of the weapon types.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 08:32:12 pm »

Your brother just misread the development log. That's why you do it carefully, to evade such problems as wrong info :).

Organs were always OK in the released versions unless you intentionally break their placement.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 09:16:21 pm »

Actually, IIRC there are good reasons to train beyond legendary. Legendary is just the top skill level to be shown; but there are the Legendary+X levels, which although they are not shown in the dwarf's stats do affect combat. A wrestler who just hit legendary wrestling is not nearly immune from injury in battle, especially for creatures like orcs and stronger. However, continue training them and they become untouchable in combat. That's how new champions are prone to dieing fighting goblins while old champions can take out entire orc seiges without a scratch.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 11:11:10 pm »

Yes, YRC.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 11:18:28 pm »

They will never spar again.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 11:18:56 pm »

So sad.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2009, 12:05:31 am »

They'll heal if you remove the [THOUGHT] tag.

And I just fixed Morul's brain injury to see if that would get him sparring - and sure enough it did.

Kinda cool process. I took out [THOUGHT] as Jim suggested, and everyone passed out and became winded, but the brain injury healed up before I could select him after unpausing. Saved, put [THOUGHT] back in, and after everyone woke up he went off to spar.

I think this is also a solution to the problem of champions claiming artifact items. When everyone passes out, they drop everything they were holding - including weapons/shields/etc. If you have your forbid settings done right, the artifacts will be forbidden when they hit the ground, so plan accordingly.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2009, 12:19:18 am »

The only problem here is that you will have LOTS of dropped owned gear, not a thing I want to have :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2009, 12:21:04 am »

Don't worry about it bro.  It's worth it.  Do it for the Lulz if you have to.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2009, 08:06:05 am »

Kinda cool process. I took out [THOUGHT] as Jim suggested, and everyone passed out and became winded, but the brain injury healed up before I could select him after unpausing. Saved, put [THOUGHT] back in, and after everyone woke up he went off to spar.

And so we have further evidence of the dwarven hivemind.  Proper stimulation (read:  raw tweaks) can cause it to overheat and shut down.  As a result, the entire colony passes out.  Once the system is manually rebooted (via raw tweaks), all individual dwarves are reactivated.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2009, 02:14:27 am »

I have completely naked, unarmed, unarmored dwarves frenzy and destroy entire sieges alone.

Its a horrifying sight. A grizzled champion with hundreds of kills, wearing nothing but endless layers of blood of slain goblins and elves, eagerly running out onto the field of battle, dodging swarms of arrows and with his bare fists slapping heavily armored goblins to death, causing them to explode in gore.

Also if you don't want to worry about clothing in your barracks, just make your barracks outside. If things get cluttered move the barracks somewhere else. The clutter will then be stolen away.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2009, 02:34:08 am »

Its a horrifying sight. A grizzled champion with hundreds of kills, wearing nothing but endless layers of blood of slain goblins and elves, eagerly running out onto the field of battle, dodging swarms of arrows and with his bare fists slapping heavily armored goblins to death, causing them to explode in gore.

His name wouldn't happen to be "Brock Samson", would it?

(for those who don't watch The Venture Bros. and thus don't get the reference, he does/did almost exactly this. Regularly.)
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2009, 02:46:49 am »

Yeah, and jumps in cars through the front window.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 [2]