Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Constitutes Duplicates? (solved)  (Read 473 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
What Constitutes Duplicates? (solved)
« on: December 23, 2009, 12:25:38 pm »

We all know that having two creatures defined by [CREATURE:NAME] vauses problems, and that the behavior is variable depending upon the order in which the raws are loaded.

In another thread I suggested to someone that having [ENTITY:NAME] and [CREATURE:NAME] would not work.  I was told that was not the case.

Now I have been playing with a mod which I downloaded.  This mod contains growable plants that can be processed at the smelter to obtain wood logs.  The plants were not growing nor appearing from the merchants, although I could buy the seeds.  When I forced the creation of the plants through the smelter, they did process properly.  The biome statements appear correct and a forum discussion concluded that the FREQUENCY and CLUSTERSIZE values were to blame.  I changed those but did not regen the world.  I did not see any plants growing and gave up. 

Several game years have passed since then, as well as several RL game loadings.  This RL morning my herbalists harvested two of the timber plants.  However, they do not show up as processable in the smelter.  This is no consistent with what happened earlier, in either aspect.

Now finally to my question.  Trees are defined in a section entitled [OBJECT:MATGLOSS], and so are growable plants.  A pine tree is [MATGLOSS_TREE:PINE].  The growable plants in this mod which can be processed to pine logs are [MATGLOSS_PLANT:PINE].  Is it the case that duplication occurs when the section heading is the same, even though the tag is not the same?  That is, [ENTITY:NAME] is under the section heading of [OBJECT:ENTITY] and [CREATURE:NAME] is under the section heading of [OBJECT:CREATURE], but both trees and plants are under the section heading of [OBJECT:MATGLOSS].
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:08:17 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: What Constitutes Duplicates?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 12:38:32 pm »

Matglosses are matglosses. Unless they're both the same type and name, they won't interfere. Your problem, which I kinda failed to discern from your post, is likely caused by remnant data files in the game's "data/objects" folder.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 01:32:31 pm »

Matglosses are matglosses. Unless they're both the same type and name, they won't interfere. Your problem, which I kinda failed to discern from your post, is likely caused by remnant data files in the game's "data/objects" folder.

There shouldn't be any remnants because I haven't removed any files.  I have just this moment checked to be sure.  The number of files under objects (73), and their names, are identical under raws and data. 

Just to be sure, I deleted all of the ones under data, and tested again before proceeding with this post.  The problem is the same.

My problem is that two days ago I was not able to harvest the timber plants, nor apparently were the other civs able to although they had the seeds available for sale.  When I created some at the smelter, through my spare entry that I use for such things, they did work in the smelter reactions intended to create logs from plants.

Feedback in this forum suggested that the problem was [FREQUENCY:0] and [CLUSTERSIZE:0] on the timber plants, so I tried changing that.  I played for a day without seeing any timber plants, but today I am able to harvest the timber plants from the wild.  However, now I cannot process them in the smelter. 

In the thought that somehow the timber plant produced in the smelter was not the same as one grown naturally, I produced another artificial timber plant through the smelter.  That also cannot be smelted into logs today.

My thought was that perhaps the program was confused about whether, eg, "PINE" was a tree or a plant, because it is defined as both.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 01:49:18 pm »

Hm. Odd.

There are several things that could cause this. A few are unlikely.

- Unstockpiled plants won't be available for smelting until they're stockpiled. That's assuming you have a food or plant stockpile.
- The smelter reaction could be referring to one object type while the actual plant turns out to be another - I'd need to see the raws for the plant and the reaction to see if that's the case.
- There could also be something as trivial as a typo.

Post the plant and reaction raws so we can see if there's a problem with them.

Also, it may be the case that certain things absolutely require a new world or at least a new fort. Reaction lists, from my experience, are such things.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 01:51:59 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 02:07:51 pm »

Hm. Odd.

There are several things that could cause this. A few are unlikely.

- Unstockpiled plants won't be available for smelting until they're stockpiled. That's assuming you have a food or plant stockpile.
- The smelter reaction could be referring to one object type while the actual plant turns out to be another - I'd need to see the raws for the plant and the reaction to see if that's the case.
- There could also be something as trivial as a typo.

Post the plant and reaction raws so we can see if there's a problem with them.

Also, it may be the case that certain things absolutely require a new world or at least a new fort. Reaction lists, from my experience, are such things.

Adding a reaction requires a world gen.  Modifying one does not.

I think I know what the problem is, though.  The person who posted the mod I am using said to be sure the timber plants did not end up in barrels.  I have been rearranging my stockpiles and I bet I forgot to forbid barrels in the stockpile where the timber plants ended up.

That was it!   :)