Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Selective wood cutting  (Read 991 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Selective wood cutting
« on: December 23, 2009, 06:17:49 am »

The map I'm currently on has trees growing on about 20% of its surface tiles. I'd like to harvest some more lumber, but I don't want to denude obvious patches of forest, and I don't want to manually select trees one at a time. Hence, suggestion:

I'd like to have a designation that selects only a certain percentage of mature trees in the designated area for cutting. Responsible forestry, wooo! This is mostly an aesthetic thing, but I can see it being useful down the line when trees and forests get some attention.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Selective wood cutting
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 06:20:40 am »

Interesting. WOuld it be just a gross percentage, or would you want it to be adjusted by species as well, so that you won't cut down all the highwoods?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:55:53 am »

Interesting. WOuld it be just a gross percentage, or would you want it to be adjusted by species as well, so that you won't cut down all the highwoods?

I'd like to see options for both.  I'd also like to see forestry options like transplanting trees and tree growth based upon some sweet-spot kind of density.  This way you could grow trees like (very slow) crops.  I wants me my cedar farm.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:35:19 am »

Would go well with more realistic forest growth

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 12:49:15 pm »

Yeah, as many options as possible. More options is better. I think my ideal method would be a cross between the economic-stone screen and the trade request screen. Have it show a list of all tree species growing on your map, with little sliders for percentage-to-be-cut. Maybe some kind of master slider as well if you just want to to thin everything evenly, and a way to toggle between using the by-species and overall settings.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 11:15:35 am »

elves can tell you not to cut down x of each species?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 02:12:51 am »

I can see the elves getting more complex in their tree-cutting restrictions, but that has nothing to do with the proposed mechanic.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 02:24:43 am »

I strongly endorse both Fossaman's and qoonpooka's ideas. Nothing but good here!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 04:46:43 am »

And elves should deffinitly not give a hoot about your tower-cap farms that they shouldnt see =/.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 05:19:55 am »

Elves should work by counting trees to begin with. Right now, I'm pretty sure they actually count your stockpiles. If so, this opens up the interesting exploit of using up all your wood before Spring, and waiting until the elven diplomat is gone before cutting more.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 05:45:45 am »

elvey mc diplomat: you're cutting down too many trees!
urist: THIS IS A FREAKING DESERT!
elvey mc diplomat: not my problem.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 12:10:38 pm »

It's pretty well-established that the elves count how many logs you have, not how many trees you have. This is basically the same mechanic as the one used by the caravans to determine how many logs to give you (which is based on how few logs you have). So careful manipulation of your log supply should allow you to get a huge number of logs and piss off the elves without ever owning an axe.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels