Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Power for mega-projects?  (Read 1459 times)

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Power for mega-projects?
« on: December 22, 2009, 11:00:59 pm »

Hi everyone,

I've recently been attempting to flood my map with magma, albeit unsuccessfully.  My first attempt involved two side by side pump stacks drawing magma from two Z-levels down from the top of my magma pipe.  I powered these stacks using a small windmill farm built on a platform above the stacks.  However, I found that this quickly drained the magma pipe and cut off my supply of magma, resulting in a rather disappointing lava puddle rather than world incineration as desired.

I have therefore started on a second attempt.  This time, I'm tapping into the magma pipe a few Z-levels from the bottom of the map to prevent my pumps from running out of magma. I'm using 6 parallel pumps spanning 17 Z-levels.  However, a pump stack of this size presented the problem of powering such a monstrosity, as this will demand 1020 power.

My question to those who have made "flood the world" devices is: how does one power such a contraption?

I'm currently attempting a massive perpetual motion waterwheel farm as shown below, but I'm having major issues with maintaining theoretical peak power.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any thoughts?

KG

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Power for mega-projects?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 11:06:14 pm »

Way too complicated... all those extra mechanisms and axles and such are draining power... simply make a really long 3 tile wide channel and line up the wheels with nothing between them so as to apply the most power to the pumps,at least that's how I did it.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 05:54:20 am »

On the subject of generating power, is there any way to do it involving mamga (such as magmawheels)?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 05:58:32 am »

On the subject of generating power, is there any way to do it involving mamga (such as magmawheels)?

...Not yet.

To my knowledge you can't make a magma safe wheel, as it has to be made out of wood.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 06:00:46 am »

but suppose I were to interfere with the raws and create "steel wood" with a high melting point, and add a reaction to turn steel in to steel wood, would that work?

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 08:29:01 am »

Quiet everyone. There's science in the air!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 09:05:24 am »

I recall this being tried with temperature turned off, and not working.  Waterwheels are hard-coded to only work with water, not magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 09:11:41 am »

Quiet everyone. There's science in the air!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 12:54:15 pm »

If you were going to use magma for power in some manner, I'd think you'd just use some kind of steam turbine with the magma as your heat source.  However, it would have to be large, dangerous, and overly complicated to be a true dwarven power source.  ;D

gtmattz, any chance you could make a diagram of what you mean?  I'm not quite sure I follow...seems like it'd be even more difficult to get reliable flow in a 3 tile wide channel.

KG

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 03:12:09 pm »

use three screw pumps, its only a 20 power difference, or alternatively

3 #'s = waterwheel
% = screw pump underwater
* = gear
+ = axle
W = Water

wwwww
 ### #
*###*#
+###+#
+www+w
*%w%+#
 %w%*#
 www+#
 www+w
 ###+#
 ###*#
 ### #
 wwwww

that specific design wouldn't be enough, the wheels would generate 900 power, (-30 for the pumps) but it should be simple to expand, or just build a few windmills to cover the extra
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Zeg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 09:52:40 pm »

I made a perpetual motion powerplant for a pump stack too recently. Didn't finish the stack, and as usual my designs are more about nice layout than maximum mathmatical efficiency, but here it is (Z0, Z1, Z2):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 10:26:55 pm »

If you were going to use magma for power in some manner, I'd think you'd just use some kind of steam turbine with the magma as your heat source.  However, it would have to be large, dangerous, and overly complicated to be a true dwarven power source.  ;D

Like modern power plants, just using MAGMA instead of a (insert fuel here) fire?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 11:04:51 pm »

Like modern power plants, just using MAGMA instead of a (insert fuel here) fire?

It's called a geothermal power plant. Good stuff, that. If only it could be properly implemented in DF.

Zeg, that is a magnificent construction! I will make a point to remember that, for my power plants in the future!
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 02:22:03 am »

Waterwheels only work if there is some kind of flow. I personally don't know what determines flow, but maybe pressurized magma (via screwpumps) could get a waterwheel going? Also... we need geothermal!!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 02:41:36 am »

I've done some research on the waterwheels, more for an aesthetic purpose; but waterwheels can move without anything flowing under them. In fact, they can be moved by windmills.

Like I said, it's not useful, by means of obtaining power, but is aesthetically pleasing depending on what you intend to do with it.

Excuse me if I strayed off topic.

EDIT:
Actually, using this method, you can feign it looking like it's powered by magma.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 02:43:40 am by Itnetlolor »
Pages: [1] 2