Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floors  (Read 393 times)

Hitori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Floors
« on: December 22, 2009, 10:17:40 pm »

Just curious, does creating floors (from stone as opposed to smoothing) over large areas cause game lag? Like say, a nice wide and long channel for a moat.

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Floors
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 10:50:49 pm »

I do not believe so.

Floor away to your hearts content!  ;D

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 11:29:25 pm »

Well it might as the unsmoothed floor is still under there while vs the smoothed floor the thing is there.

Oh well i dont think it will make a real noticable differnce.
but this requires science.

Make as much build floor as possible without any changes otherwise and see if the fps drops.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 02:51:31 am »

It probably depends on that if the dwarves try to path trough the floor or not. If you are making long, elaborate corridors than it will slow down the game no matter what method you create it. Large, open areas don't. If you create a moat that has no access at all, then again, it probably won't slow down.

Note that I only calculated in the processing time needed for pathing. I don't know what other calculations the game makes based on the amount of floor. exposed.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 04:12:31 am »

Remember that for constructed floors the game has to keep track of not only the floor, but the material you used to build it with. 10k floors will create a hit in memory just as browsing over the stones section when its at 10k would, except it'd always be there. I don't think your FPS will be affected much though...
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.