Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Terrifying Glacier. No Food.  (Read 3147 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying Glacier. No Food.
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 03:32:29 pm »

They're actually a good source of valuable meat, tallow, and bone for trade, if you want to hunt them.

Isn't that a food source that would run out in a couple of seasons? If you're not opposed to modding the game, then you should add the [PET] tag to them and catch them with cage traps.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 05:26:26 pm »

i've never seen a glacier map (except in 2D) that didnt have soil under the ice.  glaciers dont come on mountain biomes, and non-mountain biomes almost always have at least one layer of soil.  Setting up farming is actually pretty trivial.

Its just that one of my farmers is doing double duty as a cook at the moment, since i didnt bother to bring a trained one.  I had assumed that I would be able to wait until the migrants came and then just make a couple of them cooks -- they usually train up fast enough.

I actually think this will turn out pretty well, but i'm kind of concerned with my ability to cause shit with my neighbors and how my start might set me back when the first seiges come.  I've got a civilization called "the shady crafts" and we own at least three conquered dark fortresses.  I figured that embarking on a terrifying glacier and killing all comers would be "in theme" for this civ.  it looks like we've got a couple goblin high priests, judging by the "C"iv screen.

I can really only spare about 30-60 minutes a day to play, what with a busy holiday schedule and all.  so far its still pretty hand-to-mouth living, killing enough wolves for meat, and doing my best to get crops going.  I'm still in the first spring, but i odnt think winder will be any worse on the glacier.  its all snowstorms all year.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 02:39:35 pm »

They're actually a good source of valuable meat, tallow, and bone for trade, if you want to hunt them.

Isn't that a food source that would run out in a couple of seasons? If you're not opposed to modding the game, then you should add the [PET] tag to them and catch them with cage traps.

It can last quite a while, if you don't overhunt. You can also catch them in cage traps and release them into an underground reserve. Wild animals breed, so by controlling hunter/soldier dwarves you can breed them almost as effectively as tame animals. Ideally, you want to hunt just enough to keep your dwarves alive, and use the bone and skin to make trade goods to buy food from the caravans.

Also, if you cave in an ice wall two floors (very important, one floor causes a glitch) into an underground stone layer, it will melt producing 7/7 water for every ice wall that falls. That will let you set up farms.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 04:11:33 pm »

It can last quite a while, if you don't overhunt.

That's exactly the problem. Tamed animals are a sustainable food/leather/bone source that's exactly as profitable as your patience is in setting it up (i.e. how patient you are in catching more females and letting new ones grow up and breed, instead of slaughtering them). Hunting isn't. Of course, you might want to hunt instead of raising livestock for role-playing reasons, but let's not pretend that one is as practical as the other.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 03:29:25 pm »

oh god, my booze is boiling.  i just bought a load of food from the first caravan and started cooking up lavish meals, but now its all on fire.  im not sure if its because of the firesnakes that i dont have cats to catch, or if (more likely) its because of that fire-imp that was just butchered.

but this seems like the end.  i tried to order the stuff dumped on the surface of the glacier, but whenever someone tries to carry the stuff upstairs, the glacier melts under them and i cant access the dump.  I could move the dump into a new cave or something, but most of the stockpile is burning now, and i'm afraid i'll just get burning dwarfs.

this may be the end of Tiristkakdal, "Rimbrim".

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 06:28:16 pm »

Noooo, don't give up!
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 07:20:19 pm »

oh god, my booze is boiling.  i just bought a load of food from the first caravan and started cooking up lavish meals, but now its all on fire.  im not sure if its because of the firesnakes that i dont have cats to catch, or if (more likely) its because of that fire-imp that was just butchered.

but this seems like the end.  i tried to order the stuff dumped on the surface of the glacier, but whenever someone tries to carry the stuff upstairs, the glacier melts under them and i cant access the dump.  I could move the dump into a new cave or something, but most of the stockpile is burning now, and i'm afraid i'll just get burning dwarfs.

Losing is...hell, you know what I was going to say.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 07:26:48 pm »

oh god, my booze is boiling.

You can survive!  Gather plants from the forest biome to replace your booze!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 11:28:00 pm »

Have you given in yet?  If not, forbid the booze stockpile and abandon it.  Move anything nearby that's important away.  Since you clearly have magma, remember that magma directly under ice is supposed to melt it(standard procedure for dealing with frozen brooks).  From this you can create a permanent source of water.  Your dwarves will be sober, but they'll be alive long enough for you to build a new booze industry.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 12:18:22 pm »

i've been having problems with the magma thing.  dumping burning items is enough to melt nearby ice, but not enough to produce any tiles of water for it.  i dumped about 20 chunks of mined out ice in a pit surrounded by lava (hot walls on four sides) but it never melted.

I was going to try to move my attempted resovoir deeper underground, but thats when my food caught fire.  it only actually boiled half my booze. the larger problem was the burning dwarfs, lost food, and the fact that it cut off my access to the surface when it melted the stairs and surrounding ice.

I did get the entrance repaired (not rebuilt, but at least patched up) and started trying to dump the burining items in a pit, but the particular pit i chose had access to the magma and an imp lit another couple dwarfs on fire.

I'm pretty sure this was a consequence of me butchering a fire imp, and not having to do with the firesnakes - so it all could have been avoided.  I think digging my resoivoire a bit deeper would have given me water, too.

In the end, I was down to two dwarfs, one of which was tantruming.  So I ordered them to mine into a warm wall, for the glory of the mountainhomes.  I think I have an anual save i can fall back to, but i might just embark somewhere new.
Pages: 1 [2]