Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barracks vs Armory/Barracks  (Read 7518 times)

ElGreco

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Barracks vs Armory/Barracks
« on: December 22, 2009, 05:01:01 pm »

I was hitting my head on the wall for days. My dwarves just would not spar. I tried everything, read every thread on every possible forum. In vain.

Finally I realized that designating an Armory/Barracks from an armor stand is not the same thing as deignating a bedroom from a bed and activating the Barracks option... The former does not work for sparring, only the latter.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barracks vs Armory/Barracks
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 05:27:42 pm »

I did not know this. Thank you.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 05:36:31 pm »

Er, no. My last 2 forts had 2 barracks - one designated from a weapon rack, and one designated from an armor stand. Both worked well enough to train several squads of dwarves to Legendary. Also, once the Economy activated, civilian dwarves would occasionally decide to go into the barracks and sleep on the floor - no unhappy thoughts, either.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ElGreco

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 06:00:24 pm »

I won't argue if you are right or wrong. I just share my personal experience and want to be helpful. My recruits began sparring the VERY SAME moment I designated the room from the bed. I had 5 recruits at that moment.

Now that I think of it, I had designated the room as "Armory/Barracks" before drafting my first recruit (he was a peasant). Maybe it has to do something with that.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 09:08:17 pm »

I have repeatedly designated a barracks from a weapon stand or armor rack and had dwarves spar in it.  It works.  Your problem was caused by something else.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 10:10:13 pm »

At least one of my forts has no barracks designated from beds and one from a weapon rack and sparring occurs as expected. Similarly, at least one of my forts has the opposite situation.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 05:31:13 am »

I have never used the "Bed" method of setting up a Barracks, so I don't know how it works... but Weapon Racks and Armor Stands work fine for me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:34:57 am by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 11:36:02 am »

More likely, the available area on which the dwarves could spar from the armor rack was too small.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 11:50:46 am »

I was hitting my head on the wall for days. My dwarves just would not spar. I tried everything, read every thread on every possible forum. In vain.

Finally I realized that designating an Armory/Barracks from an armor stand is not the same thing as deignating a bedroom from a bed and activating the Barracks option... The former does not work for sparring, only the latter.

They both work for me too, you have some problem other than wrong designation

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 08:35:27 pm »

Are you sure your recruits were off-duty at the time?  I always start with a bed barracks for the first year, and then by the second have an armory barracks yard surrounded by walls designated outside.  Works fine for me.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils