Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Creating a pit/death drop  (Read 8587 times)

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a pit/death drop
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 04:20:27 pm »

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but how far down do I have to drop prisoners for them to die/explode?
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 04:22:29 pm »

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but how far down do I have to drop prisoners for them to die/explode?
There was another thread, where it was found out that 15 z levels is the minimum height to make kittens splat and explode.
10 levels should make them die too, however.
In doubt, make the pit higher.

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 04:28:51 pm »

15 z-levels seems like a lot. Do you think size would affect the minimum height? A goblin soldier wearing armor (all of my prisoners) would be larger and heavier than a kitten.
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 04:31:07 pm »

Ive dropped hundreds of orcs and goblins ten Z-levels and never seen one live.  At nine levels I sometimes had one survive with massive injuries.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 04:57:03 pm »

15 z-levels seems like a lot. Do you think size would affect the minimum height? A goblin soldier wearing armor (all of my prisoners) would be larger and heavier than a kitten.

If the falling physics work anything like real life then weight doesn't matter, as everything falls at the same rate (barring friction from the frontal area exposed to the air).  Regardless, I am pretty sure DF treats all creatures the same when it comes to falling great distances, and my experience follows that of others in that 10 z levels seems to be the minimum for certain death, while 15 seems to guarantee exploding bodies.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 06:38:01 pm »

Something like this. No kidding.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: lol diagram (click to show/hide)

Because kicking wrestling off the face of a 15z level pit is dangerous, we're using hammerdwarf golf!
If the goblin doesn't explode when it hits the wall, it will when it hits the floor.

Just use an external lever somewhere to release the goblin from the cage, at which the hammerdwarf stationed will swing his hammer with a force of preferably over ten thousand dNewtons, accelerating the goblin towards the wall, and then the floor.

The pit can always be made wider/longer, and a sacrificial altar should be placed at the bottom. The rain of body parts from either the first or second impact will help coat a large area in pools of blood.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 06:46:43 pm »

Actually, that "barring friction from air resistance" is pretty important for living things....moreso than you'd think.  From a nice essay by the biologist J.B.S. Haldane "On being the right size"
You can drop a mouse down a thousand-yard mine shaft; and, on arriving at the bottom, it gets a slight shock and walks away, provided that the ground is fairly soft. A rat is killed, a man is broken, a horse splashes. For the resistance presented to movement by the air is proportional to the surface of the moving object. Divide an animal’s length, breadth, and height each by ten; its weight is reduced to a thousandth, but its surface only to a hundredth. So the resistance to falling in the case of the small animal is relatively ten times greater than the driving force.
Pages: 1 [2]