Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Creating a pit/death drop  (Read 8584 times)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating a pit/death drop
« on: December 22, 2009, 04:50:39 pm »

So, I have a lot of caged... things.

I'd like them all to die, preferably by a huge drop.

I'm in the process of constructing a giant tower and I'd like to create a foolproof method of dropping things to their death 10z below.

how would you build something like this?  Diagrams would be AWESOME.

Also, first post :).  These forums are awesome and this was the first thing that made me stop lurking :P.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a pit/death drop
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 05:25:06 pm »

Firstly, congrats on the first post.

Secondly, death drops are a common thing in dwarf fortress. There are many people who can give you advice that comes from many, many death drops.

10 z's seems rather small. Sure, they will explode, but if you make it a higher drop, they'll explode more violently.

There is actually very little required for a death drop. All it needs is a platform next to an open space. Depending on your style, you many want to build a death tower, a death pit, or both. Here's a diagram:
Code: [Select]
#=wall
 =empty space
S=where the sacrifice is dropped from
T=target/sacrificial altar

S
# #
# #
# #
# #
# #
# #
# #
# #
# #
# #
# #
 T
Since the sacrifice will always drop in a straight line, what I occasionally do is have my central fortress staircase/passageway travel in a spiral around the shaft. Once I even combined it with a mist generator.

The target for the sacricice can be anything. Keep in mind that if yuo place upright spikes, they will not do any additional damage to the target.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 08:07:42 pm »

#S_#
#.##
#.##
#.##
#.##
#.##
#.##
#.##
#.##
 #.##
   #.##
   #..##
  #...##
 #....##
#.....#

I advice making it bigger at the bottom, sort of like in my picture but also on the other side...
Sorta like a vial.

Why?
Because then you can fully experience the joy of all those bodyparts flying everywhere and leaving blood, pleasing armok.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 09:19:45 pm »

I am actually constructing a giant pyramid, and so it will fall into that shape and not exactly a column.  The problem wasn't exactly with the construction and shape of the pit itself, but that actual process of getting things in a location and able to be dropped without risk of injury to any of my dwarves. 

I've built cages hooked to levers and opened them so goblins run amok in a walled room, which I then flooded and used wall grates to save the goods, then emptied and cleaned up, but I don't know how I can do a similar thing with a drop.

I figured it be easy enough with a bridge, but I can't seem to build anything on a bridge.  Is there any flood I can construct that I can cause to be removed from a lever from a distance?

I guess worst case I can build floor, free goblins there, have them path across the bridge, then open it there, but that seems awfully complicated for just a sacrificial drop.

I will extend my drop and post the carnage if you guys can assist :).

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 09:56:32 pm »

I dont think you understand, if you have them caged you can make a zone (i) and make a pit.
Once the zone is done and has been selected as a pit you can then assign the caged creatures you want dropped (P) (while in the zone menuing thing)
ONce you have assigned the things to be dropped your dorfs go over to the assigned pitted creatures and drag them to the pit, then chuck them into it, making them fall and splat.

Note: a pit must be a zone over atleast two tiles, one tile is the channeled area where creatures are dropped, and the other is a place where creatures can stand...
e.g.

#####
#####
##.##
##_x#
#####

# is wall
x is up/down stairs
_ is dug out area
. is channeled area

assign the zone like so...

#####
#####
##z##
##zX#
#####
z is assigned zone
# is wall
X is up/down stairs.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 10:21:49 pm »

how can I do this with creatures I'd be unable or unwilling to handle.  Wouldn't an armed goblin kill my animal handler as soon as he freed them?

I know I can disarm them, but I figured it'd be easy to pick up the pieces after.

If they were disarmed would it work easily?

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 10:40:34 pm »

when being hauled the short/long distance to the pit, goblins don't always escape from the iron grip of the handlers. I recommend disarming them and training your handlers in a bit of wrestling before doing major hauling of many goblins, just to be safe. If the goblin decides to make a run for it instead of engaging any nearby dwarves, cage traps blocking any exit can help.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 11:02:15 pm »

To disarm them dump the cage they are in, this will make their clothes spontaneously fly off their bodies allowing your dwarves to put them in the dump.  Afterward reclaim the cage and your dwarves will put it back in the animal stockpile.  A bit cheaty but hey, it works ;).
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 12:06:13 am »

Goblin soldiers seem to cooperate with being hauled around between cages, not offering any resistance. I've pitted goblins from halfway across the fortress and they never even try to escape.

Thieves, however, will immediately try to attack their captor, as will wild animals and creatures such as megabeasts.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 01:03:35 am »

However, if the captor gets distracted during the hauling (such as by spotting a scary groundhog or deciding that they're thirsty and would like a drink), even soldiers will escape (since their captor has simply let go of them). 

Also, I found that if the pit is not deep enough to kill the goblins on impact, the dwarf will be startled by the scary goblin in the pit, releasing the next captive that was supposed to be thrown in. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 06:55:04 am »

However, if the captor gets distracted during the hauling (such as by spotting a scary groundhog or deciding that they're thirsty and would like a drink), even soldiers will escape (since their captor has simply let go of them). 

Also, I found that if the pit is not deep enough to kill the goblins on impact, the dwarf will be startled by the scary goblin in the pit, releasing the next captive that was supposed to be thrown in. 

Aren't they only scared if the injured goblin if close enough (distance+z level-wise) to them?

I imagine the 10z drop I'm planning should be sufficient, but I might dig down at the base of my temple to be sure.

Also, anyone have any comments on whether or not they stray from their z-column during fall?  I'm thinking of making a hollow 3x3 waterfall that falls 20 z levels or so, and dropping my creatures right into the middle of it, all the way down.  Not sure if they'll fall through the bottom (if I can manage that, or if they'll splat on an earlier level.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 07:04:00 am »

In my experience, they drop straight down with no horizontal movement.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 07:39:20 am »

I have had no problems placing 8 orc cages around a pit with a hatch cover and pitting them

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 07:56:43 am »

I have had no problems placing 8 orc cages around a pit with a hatch cover and pitting them

hatch covers!  That is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you.

Thingmabob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 10:24:26 am »

Something like this. No kidding.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2